CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stylus cleaner and broken piece questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: stylus cleaner and broken piece questions Reply with quote

the above is the front cover of my sjt200 when I removed it. Notice the piece of foam. I think the foam was actually originally glued to the stylus cleaner on the small step right below that brown spot in the photo below. There is a residue on there. I'm wondering if anyone knows where that foam piece is supposed to be glued?? I have removed the stylus cleaner from it's proper location to eaxamine it. The spring is actually facing the wrong direction. the part itself does slide onto it's tracks in that direction directly to the right, but my spring should be facing away from the camera to get the idea of how it was installed which I believe to be proper.

In the 3 photos below this is a piece of something that was in the top of the player when I removed the cover. I've tried to inspect real well trying to see if this broke off something in the player but haven't had any luck. It appears to be a portion of a longer extruded piece. It reminds me of the edge banding on heavy duty tables with folding legs, the edging runs around the sides of the tabletop. or tables like they have in school lunchrooms that have that plastic edging around the tabletop. My thinking is maybe a child found that broken piece of plastic and then stuck it in the player?? Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on where it came from and if it belongs to the player or not. I thought it kind of looked like the plastic piece that is in the center of the rail right above the slot where you load the caddy, that acts somewhat of a guide. But it's not that . Mine is there all in one piece and doesn't appear as though anything has broke off it.

I have succesfully loaded and unloaded a disc in the player but the turntable was dragging. When I ejected it started slipping on the really flexible gear and I just pretty much touched the flexi gear and then it fully ejected. I was thinking possibly that foam piece prevented the stylus cleaner from moving to it's proper location ?? Don't know enough about it yet to know for sure. I need to get the height adjusted. I've had the allen wrench into the set screw (there is no lock screw) I just haven't adjusted it yet.
Any thoughts on all this stuff?? Thanks.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you need a copy of the service manual for your player?

Go to http://www.lddb.com/_misc/manuals/CED_Players/

for a copy.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the service manuals but it doesn't show a good picture of the stlus cleaner (at least I couldn't find one). It does have a section about the stylus cleaner and it has a photo showing it's location but you can't see the actual cleaner itself. I have another player so I could pull the covers off of it and maybe that will help me.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm able to answer my own questions. Maybe it will be helpful somewhere. I just opened another sjt200 and the foam type piece is glued to the little angled portion of the front cover, and on this one there is no residue of any type on the metal piece of the stylus cover. I just used some weatherstripping foam just slightly larger than the original piece. I think at one time the original was probably a little thicker and probably had some "sponginess" to it. Looking at it magnified you can see it's quite porous like a foam would be, even though it now feels more like a soft rubber, I think it's just dried up over the years. I can't really figure out what it's there for??
As for that broken piece, it's a piece of the cover over the fuse. The one I just opened has the fuse cover in place but the one with the broken piece did not have a cover. I guess maybe someone removed the cover and broke off that piece not knowing it. Then when they went to reinstall the cover they found there's no way for it to stay on, because the only part of the cover inside the unit was the broken piece, where did the rest of it go??
The one I just opened has a disc stuck in it and it's also a good example of a damaged disc, because I can really see scratches and what not. Also evident is who ever tried to get the front cover off was trying to first pry it off from the bottom tabs. Haven't plugged it in yet. The belt is on it and looks in good shape.
Anyway , solved the great mysteries I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: