CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Copying data from a CED service-alignment disk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PapaPolynomial

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Copying data from a CED service-alignment disk Reply with quote

Seeing as these disks are almost impossible to source, and essential to servicing a machine, I'm wondering if it is possible to somehow capture the information off a disk digitally?

The bandwidth is 5Mhz, from that the video and audio information is extracted. A device like this can record in the Mhz bandwidth range, perhaps there is something cheaper?

http://ecom.eladit.com/FDM-S1/en

You'd simply add a tap before the BPF's going to the audio FM demodulators.

...maybe pie in the sky
happycube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually got that for Laserdiscs (using a much cheaper PCI capture card), and I'm pretty sure if I got a similar sample (or a suitably tapped CED player and disks) I could hack up the same for it. You don't even have to filter out the audio.

... but RF samples wouldn't do very much good for fixing CED players. The actual physical alignment stuff requires actually playing a disk. If you fed the RF back to the electronic side, you could test and adjust that, but that's only half the battle.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless the actual service disc is in the player i dont think the information will help you?
PapaPolynomial

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ended up buying the sjt-300 unit that was listed on Ebay with the service alignment disc here;

http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2532

Could you describe the process of capturing the RF data via a PCI card? I haven't read through the service manual yet in regards to calibrating via the service disc, but I imagine having a dupe of the RF information encoded on the disc would be (more) helpful for people without a disc, or just to save wear and tear on the original disc itself.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaPolynomial wrote:
I actually ended up buying the sjt-300 unit that was listed on Ebay with the service alignment disc here;

http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2532

Could you describe the process of capturing the RF data via a PCI card? I haven't read through the service manual yet in regards to calibrating via the service disc, but I imagine having a dupe of the RF information encoded on the disc would be (more) helpful for people without a disc, or just to save wear and tear on the original disc itself.

the disc has the same on both sides Wink
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they ever perfect 3D printing technology we could use a device like the digital record players to make a 3D rendering of a service disc and then print them on a 3D printer. Could print a new caddy and label too. But I doubt they will ever be that perfect.
ckaplan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: 3D printing won't work... Reply with quote

Printing the disc isn't really the problem, it is the capacitance that's challenging.

Remember the discs are doped vinyl with an aluminum layer evaporated on top. You can re-create a disc, but the rest of the process is non-trivial.

CK

ketonic_dude wrote:
If they ever perfect 3D printing technology we could use a device like the digital record players to make a 3D rendering of a service disc and then print them on a 3D printer. Could print a new caddy and label too. But I doubt they will ever be that perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That equipment won't fit in your Delorean, even with a trailer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: