CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CED Workshop 2016
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: CED Workshop 2016 Reply with quote

Hello fellow collectors and fans of CED. I am currently working on trying to set up the 2016 CED workshop. Here is what I have so far, this was posted on the CED Magic Facebook page.

So I was looking into setting up the workshop for next year and here is what I'm thinking. If no one has any set day in mind I'll go ahead and make it April 14th 2016. That's a Thursday. The workshop has costs $20 per person in the past to cover the costs of supplies and perhaps some beverages or what-not. But what would everyone say to $40 per person. I know this sounds like a lot but it will still cover supplies and beverages, additionally it will cover the cost of the conference room at the hotel for the entire day, it will also include lunch (subs or sandwiches of some sort) and it will include a 2016 RCA Videodisc Workshop T-Shirt. (Or if not everyone wants a t-shirt we could charge $30 for the workshop and sell the shirts for $10 to those who want one.) Since we will have the conference room for the entire day I propose a slightly longer event than usual, have a brief history of sorts and maybe a Q&A with Pam if she would be so generous to attend, and hopefully John Stevens can attend as well. Then it will have a segment on player repair and maintenance hosted by Ryan, then we will attempt some personal repairs in a hands on segment followed by a swap meet, and then anything else anyone wants to do, I know Ryan said he had a bunch of slides that many of us would love to see. So we will still work out the details on that. Additionally if you would like a room in the hotel, if we can get 10 or more rooms booked for our event it will be $64 for 1-2 adults, $68 for 3 adults, or $73 for 4 adults per room. I am also going to be creating online invitations that I will post in numerous facebook groups for anyone else who is curious about the CED format. I would like to get around 20 people to show up to the event and 10 rooms rented. This is the goal so far. I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion was? Thanks.

I would be happy to know if you have any comments, or suggestions. If you are interesting in attending please let me know, either here or you can email me at videodiscjunkie@gmail.com thanks.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have confirmation that Pam will be attending. Pam used to work for RCA during the Videodisc manufacturing at Rockville Road. She is a wealth of knowledge and it will be great to have her there. Thanks Pam.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got confirmation that John Stevens will also be in attendance. That's two former RCA Employees from the Videodisc program who will happily answer questions and tell stories of the olden' days. lol Hope you can all make it to the event.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be amazing!!!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
cbertra2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a silly question but where will the workshop be located?
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that I'd love to attend the Yesfans.com 15th anniversary meeting next June also but it's a mighty long bike ride for either, even if ours ends up in Portland, OR (hey, they don't have all those 6% grades, switchbacks and runaway truck pits outside of Pendleton for NOTHING)...
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have about 12 people confirmed as going. I would like to get at least 20-25 confirmed. If you want to go please contact me and let me know. It will be at the Wingate Hotel on Rockville Road, just down the street from the RCA Rockville Road facility where the discs were pressed. Hotel rooms are available at a discounted rate. If anyone has any questions please let me know. Thank you.

Josh
videodiscjunkie@gmail.com
ace2184

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tempting. These are the times I don't like living on the West Coast.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ace, there is a fellow out on the west cost named Jesse, who has been looking for interest to do a CED workshop out that way. It's hard enough finding enough people who want to come to the one in Indy but nobody said it had to be a big class for the workshop. I'm sure if 5 or 6 of you wanted to get together for one that would be cool too.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I dig Jesse and stuff, that is as impossible for me. I either have to take a bus or a train and lodging wouldn't begin to be covered with what I have per month. I have a savings account that ceased to be about savings 20 years ago, it's there to take direct deposit and keep me funded month to month.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I REALLY want to make it to this especially if there's going to be RCA people there, but time and money may not allow it. I do want to get something together closer to the west coast eventually.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post an update for all interested in attending. I have reserved the conference room at the Wingate Hotel on Rockville Road and spoken to them about room reservations. If you need to rent a room for the night after the workshop you will need to call and make a reservation. You will also be responsible for paying for your own room. They are giving us a group discount of $89 a night. You can get a room with double beds or a king bed and have up to 5 adults per room. You have to mention you are with the CED Workshop to get the discounted rate. The cost of the workshop itself is $40 and can be paid via paypal to ketonic_dude@hotmail.com or in cash or check the day of the workshop. Again that will include supplies, lunch and beverages, a t-shirt, and go towards the cost of the conference room. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. Thank you.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that the presentations could be recorded. I'd be willing to pay for a copy of the talks the former employees give. I'm about 4 hours or so away. I have some friends down there that used to be in a band called Schoolboy Crush. Went down there about 20 years ago to check them out and my truck broke down when I got down there. It was summer and it was hot. The air con. in my hotel room didn't work either. Good times.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, perhaps a set of them could be edited and presented on You Tube, much like TED Talks. This would be a huge boost to awareness about CED.
tophatsasquatch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a Facebook event page for this? I live in Indy and would love to check it out and maybe film some talks and interviews with CED folks.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the link is here

https://www.facebook.com/events/1034225043288429/
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sooooooooooooooooo there!!!!!
SKT-100
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practically every forum I'm in has a big get together this year and I'm so not getting to Ohio, Chicagoland or here on a bicycle.

The Ohio event is the 15th anniversary of Yesfans and picnic too. But I couldn't pedal home in time for my 50th birthday the next week.

Oh, and it's Marie Osmond's wedding anniversary on my birthday too...she's the reason I'm a little bit country Smile
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif, actually the workshop will be recorded. There is a gentlman named Sean Sisson who is a filmmaker from Washington and is working on a documentary called the Last American Media and it's main focus is going to be CED. He will be there recording the workshop. I am not sure how much of it he may or may not include in his documentary but I will get in touch with him and see if there is a way to put some of the Q&A on youtube. Provided it is ok with those answering the questions. I'll keep you posted.
tophatsasquatch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
yes, the link is here

https://www.facebook.com/events/1034225043288429/

It's saying the content is not available for me. Do you have to be a member of a group or something to view the event?

I'm very interested in coming and interviewing some people and documenting the event.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tophatsasquatch,

Send me an email at videodiscjunkie@gmail.com and I will get you added to the facebook event and work out details with you. Thanks.

Josh
Pacattack76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, remind me again. I'm familiar with rockville rd. And the facility but what city and state was that again?
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude wrote:

Smile
Pacattack76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ship, I looked at that and didn't even notice. Damn 600 miles away.
Pacattack76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance I could buy a shirt anyway even if I can't go?
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work for me as well. The closest I've been to Indianapolis is The Jackson Five and watching the Indy 500.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for recording as much of this as possible. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make it to this or not, there's at least a 5% possibility of my making it there at this point which is better than 0%.
Pacattack76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'd sure pay for a shirt and a copy of the filming.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be footage on youtube and pictures and video links will be posted here. I am not sure how many shirts I will have left. At this point I think they are pretty much all spoken for. But if there are enough people interested in buying a shirt I can have some more made up after the workshop. There is room for a few more people to attend. I have supplies for 25 and I think we are at 21 or 22 signed up right now. Please let me know asap if you plan to attend. Thanks guys!
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the "supplies"? I might know for sure maybe a week before the workshop and might show up at the last minute. I don't need a shirt or anything like that, I'll even sit on the floor if there's no room elsewhere!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: