CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my first CED player! Odd issue though

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apachehavok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Got my first CED player! Odd issue though Reply with quote

Got the sjt-090

Actually amazed how well it looks on a 4k TV. Its a soft image but very clean which is amazing to me!

Problem is: When I load a disk, the thing sounds like its grinding to death on the inside during the spin up process. After about oh 25 seconds, it gets softer and softer until its silent, then the video starts to play with no issues.

When im done and I eject the disk, it makes the same sound for a few seconds. It seems to be functioning properly other then those odd sounds.
I can crack the thing open and display anything if anyone thinks it would help.

Anyone hear of this issue before??

Thanks!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the turntable is just slightly dragging, adjusting it up 1/16 or so should do it, but you need a tiny allen wrench to do it.
apachehavok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool where do I do that? I see there is a giant washer under the unit right in the center. That thing?

Thanks!
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apachehavok wrote:
Cool where do I do that? I see there is a giant washer under the unit right in the center. That thing?

Thanks!

In the very center of that brass colored "washer" under the player is where you insert an allen wrench. You then turn it clockwise to raise the turntable. The allen wrench you will need is 1/16 or 1/32 inch. I recommend that you turn the allen wrench a very small amount and then test the player to see if the sound is gone. (A "very small amount" is like1/8 of a full turn.) Repeat the turning until the sound disappears.

In the late 1980's, I bought an SJT-200 player from an outfit in Bellingham, WA. They had the player drop shipped to me from a place in Chicago. When I got the player, it made a rumbling sound when the turntable sped up. I called the seller and he said that I needed to do what I described above. He said that the turntable had settled during shipment.

Hope this helps.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830

Last edited by dumbchemist on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
apachehavok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I found that screw and am able to make slight adjustments to it and it does seem to raise and lower the turn table slightly. Problem is it just makes different noises. The eject and load processes work perfectly fine and after about 45 second it will start to play but it looks as if the turn table is spinning faster then the disk under the disk until the disk can catch up to speed

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apachehavok wrote:
Ok so I found that screw and am able to make slight adjustments to it and it does seem to raise and lower the turn table slightly. Problem is it just makes different noises. The eject and load processes work perfectly fine and after about 45 second it will start to play but it looks as if the turn table is spinning faster then the disk under the disk until the disk can catch up to speed

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

The slow spin up of the disc beats the "you know what" out of me. If you could, check to see if there is a strip of felt around the edge of the turntable. This strip keeps the disc from touching the plastic surface of the turntable. It is highly unlikely that that felt is missing; but, it is harmless to check for it. I am just thinking that if the felt is missing, the disc maybe resting on the plastic top of the turntable and may be slipping during spinup and spindown operations.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
apachehavok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
apachehavok wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

The slow spin up of the disc beats the "you know what" out of me. If you could, check to see if there is a strip of felt around the edge of the turntable. This strip keeps the disc from touching the plastic surface of the turntable. It is highly unlikely that that felt is missing; but, it is harmless to check for it. I am just thinking that if the felt is missing, the disc maybe resting on the plastic top of the turntable and may be slipping during spinup and spindown operations.

That's exactly what its sounding like!! Its like the felt is gone and its scraping against the plastic but I checked and the felt is there.

Would it help if I uploaded a video?

Thanks all!
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apachehavok wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
apachehavok wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

That's exactly what its sounding like!! Its like the felt is gone and its scraping against the plastic but I checked and the felt is there.

Would it help if I uploaded a video?

Thanks all!

You could upload a video; but, it would do me no good. My browser will not let me view videos. (I am running LInux and Firefox for a browser and there is no plugin available yet.)

The other possibility is that the felt is worn down allowing the disc to touch the turntable. The only fix for that scenario is to replace the turntable. Another possibility is that the disc is not laying flat on the turntable top thus allowing the disc to slip.

I am running out of ideas here, help!
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
apachehavok wrote:

Thanks!

In the very center of that brass colored "washer" under the player is where you insert an allen wrench. You then turn it clockwise to raise the turntable. The allen wrench you will need is 1/16 or 1/32 inch. I recommend that you turn the allen wrench a very small amount and then test the player to see if the sound is gone. (A "very small amount" is like1/8 of a full turn.) Repeat the turning until the sound disappears.

In the late 1980's, I bought an SJT-200 player from an outfit in Bellingham, WA. They had the player drop shipped to me from a place in Chicago. When I got the player, it made a rumbling sound when the turntable sped up. I called the seller and he said that I needed to do what I described above. He said that the turntable had settled during shipment.

Hope this helps.

you forgot to mention a crucial step. you have to loosen the jam nut ( its the hex nut on the bottom of the payer in the same place the allen screw is. you are supposed to loosen the jam nut first before you turn the adjustment screw, and the gently tighten the jam nut back after your adjustment...
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
apachehavok wrote:

Thanks!

Hope this helps.

you forgot to mention a crucial step. you have to loosen the jam nut ( its the hex nut on the bottom of the payer in the same place the allen screw is. you are supposed to loosen the jam nut first before you turn the adjustment screw, and the gently tighten the jam nut back after your adjustment...

I guess you are right. It was a long time ago when I had to adjust a turntable. I forgot about loosening the jam nut. My bad.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure how much you can turn the turn table height adjustment with the jam nut still tight, but perhaps this is still the problem. you have to run the geartrain so the transfer rod is down so that way you can spin the turn table after adjusting the height screw.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
im not sure how much you can turn the turn table height adjustment with the jam nut still tight

Ive actually never loosened the nut to adjust the height, worked just fine on many players for me. I have had the screw rust and lock up and wont adjust ever again though!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
SelectaVision420 wrote:
im not sure how much you can turn the turn table height adjustment with the jam nut still tight

Ive actually never loosened the nut to adjust the height, worked just fine on many players for me. I have had the screw rust and lock up and wont adjust ever again though!

good to know, its still against my vice-principals though lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: