CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems using an SGT250 in Argentina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
houseofwax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Problems using an SGT250 in Argentina Reply with quote

I have a nice working SJT090. Although we have 220v 50Hz line in Argentina I only needed a 220v/110v transformer because the SJT line has the turntable speed controled by quartz oscillator.
Then I wanted a Stereo player so I could enjoy the enhanced sound of Stereo discs and even Dolby Surround movies (I have a nice sound system at home that can process Dolby Surround tracks). So I bought a SGT 250 at eBay. I waited for 10 weeks to receive it from USA.
When I first received the player I found a disc loaded inside the mechanism so I assumed that the stylus was broken (the seller said it was working). I knew that SGT players has the turntable motor in sync with the line frecuency and I knew then that I would have to make a complicated transformation from 220v 50Hz line to supply the player with 110v 60Hz. I used a computer power supply to convert 220v AC into 12 v DC and then an inverter to convert those 12v DC to 110VAC 60Hz. It seemed to be working OK and I tested that configuration with a few other 110v equipments and it worked OK. Then I plugged in the SGT and I found that when I inserted a Stereo disc the "Stereo" sign would turn on a few seconds after the disc was full speed but it never entered "Play" mode. It seemed that the stylus was moving trying to find valid video.
So I bought a new stylus. Two weeks later with the new stylus I tested the player again and it was just the same as before...the "Stereo" led would turn on with Stereo discs but I couldn't get it to start playing the video and audio signals and the display simple had those annoying "--".
Does somebody know if the square shaped 110v from the inverter could affect the turntable speed or some other circuitry? I'll try to check the turntable speed with the strobe disc (THANKS CEDMAGIC!!) but it will be very helpfull if anyone has any idea of where should I start checking or which are the most common problems that could cause the player to do that.
Also I would like to thank John Stevens from CEDATUM who was very kind to send me a new stylus and belt for this poor player. It's impossible to find parts for CED players in Argentina as this system was never marketed here although laserdisc where quite popular by mid eighties. Also although we have 220v line and PAL N color video system almost every single TV set are multi system so you can use it with Pal N, Pal B, NTSC, NTSC 4.43 and SECAM video signals and that reduces most compatibility problems with video equipments.
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: RE: 50Hz to 60Hz Frequency Conversion Reply with quote

I can think of a couple reasons why your SGT250 is not providing playback after doing the 220V/50Hz to 120V/60Hz conversion. If your inverter is really cheap, it may not provide a "modified sine wave" output, or the frequency output may not be accurate to 60Hz +/- 0.5 Hz.

If you have the manual for the inverter check to see if it specifies "modified sine wave" output; if not, it may be outputing a pure square wave that the CED player cannot adapt to. A frequency counter can be used to measure the output. Some inverters have a rheostat inside to fine tune the frequency output, and if this adjustable screw is present, it can be slowly turned while the player is attempting playback to see if a fine frequency adjustment will fix the problem.

--Tom Howe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: