CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for a malfunctioning SJT-400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Advice for a malfunctioning SJT-400 Reply with quote

I received a free SJT-400 about 3 weeks ago. The previous owner had replaced the function drive belt with a rubber band. He said the player worked. Well, I ordered a new belt from CEDatum and received it today. I replaced the rubber band with the belt and set the player up with the cover off and connected to my amp.

Symptoms:

When the power switch is turned on, the front door opens and the digital display shows "L" which is normal. I inserted a caddy and the player extracted the disc and pushed the caddy out the slot. I grabbed the caddy and gently pulled it out of the player. The internal mechanism dropped the disc onto the turntable and the stylus carrier moved over. The first problem is that the turntable did not spin up. Also, the digital display stayed at "--" and both side lights lit up. The player did nothing then. I pressed the play and the reject buttons and nothing happened. I had to unplug the player from the wall outlet and turn the function gears by hand in order to return the disc to its top position in order to remove it.

Any ideas what to do? I hate to throw the player away as it is RCA"s top of the line model.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
PapaPolynomial

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for a malfunctioning SJT-400 Reply with quote

Could it be your stylus height is not configured or altogether missing? I would try moving the cog attached to the arm position as described in the notes (instructions should be printed under the lid) regarding replacing the stylus. I'd remove the disc if possible..

Good luck.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for a malfunctioning SJT-400 Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
I received a free SJT-400 about 3 weeks ago. The previous owner had replaced the function drive belt with a rubber band. He said the player worked. Well, I ordered a new belt from CEDatum and received it today. I replaced the rubber band with the belt and set the player up with the cover off and connected to my amp.

Symptoms:

When the power switch is turned on, the front door opens and the digital display shows "L" which is normal. I inserted a caddy and the player extracted the disc and pushed the caddy out the slot. I grabbed the caddy and gently pulled it out of the player. The internal mechanism dropped the disc onto the turntable and the stylus carrier moved over. The first problem is that the turntable did not spin up. Also, the digital display stayed at "--" and both side lights lit up. The player did nothing then. I pressed the play and the reject buttons and nothing happened. I had to unplug the player from the wall outlet and turn the function gears by hand in order to return the disc to its top position in order to remove it.

Any ideas what to do? I hate to throw the player away as it is RCA"s top of the line model.

i havent seen anything about both side lights lighting up at once in my manual, likely that might be causing the player to malfunction... the side indicator function switch may be broken? ill look in my manual as soon as i can to see if there is a similar symptom to this
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

This SJT-400 is one sick puppy. I sprayed some contact cleaner on the two switches at the rear left cornet. After the cleaner had dried, I turned the player on and inserted a caddy with a disc in it into the front slot. The mechanism pulled the disc out of the caddy and ejected the caddy. The side 1 light lit and the mechanism dropped the disc onto the turntable which did not spin up. The side 2 light then came on. I unplugged the player. I then turned the gears at the function motor in the wrong direction and broke the transfer rod coupling. So now there is another broken part.

Is there anyone who may be able to repair this beast? As I stated earlier, I hate to discard this player and would like to have someone repair it. My DIY skills are not knowledgeable enough to attempt a repair. I have replaced belts and even a transfer rod coupling on an SJT-200 in the past (it took 3 tries and 2 broken couplings before I got it right); but, this player has too many things wrong for me.

This reminds me of the old adage: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Reinhart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
Update:

This SJT-400 is one sick puppy. I sprayed some contact cleaner on the two switches at the rear left cornet. After the cleaner had dried, I turned the player on and inserted a caddy with a disc in it into the front slot. The mechanism pulled the disc out of the caddy and ejected the caddy. The side 1 light lit and the mechanism dropped the disc onto the turntable which did not spin up. The side 2 light then came on. I unplugged the player. I then turned the gears at the function motor in the wrong direction and broke the transfer rod coupling. So now there is another broken part.

Is there anyone who may be able to repair this beast? As I stated earlier, I hate to discard this player and would like to have someone repair it. My DIY skills are not knowledgeable enough to attempt a repair. I have replaced belts and even a transfer rod coupling on an SJT-200 in the past (it took 3 tries and 2 broken couplings before I got it right); but, this player has too many things wrong for me.

Well, I got my SKT-400 working again when I bought it broken. I think I might be able to repair your SJT-400 for you.

The only problem may be location; I live in Central Florida.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinhart wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
Update:

Well, I got my SKT-400 working again when I bought it broken. I think I might be able to repair your SJT-400 for you.

The only problem may be location; I live in Central Florida.

i found another problem with the player. Underneath the transfer rod gearing are 2 white microswitches. One at the rear of the player is fine. The other one is loose and "rattling around" so to speak.

I was wondering if the loose mcroswitch turns the power on to the turntable?
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: