CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with a sft100 can someone help me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Problem with a sft100 can someone help me? Reply with quote

Hello, I bought a sft 100 yesterday with a hundred ced, I plugged it on my tv and there is a lot of snow and the picture quality is very bad, can someone tell me if its my coaxial cable, my player, or my tv? Here is a link so you can see what it does

http://youtu.be/DVbYT3JmlR4

Thank you!

Mike Odd
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its really a good idea to inspect the disc before you put it in the player, if you are unsure of its past... it seems to me like the stylus might just be dirty, but the disc itself could be bad, have you tried any other discs?
hamerly26

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with a sft100 can someone help me? Reply with quote

Mikeodd wrote:
Hello, I bought a sft 100 yesterday with a hundred ced, I plugged it on my tv and there is a lot of snow and the picture quality is very bad, can someone tell me if its my coaxial cable, my player, or my tv? Here is a link so you can see what it does

http://youtu.be/DVbYT3JmlR4

Thank you!

Mike Odd

Hi, I am by far no expert but i am learning as i go.

It is almost never the coax cable. Judging by the picture it is prob the player maybe a belt or stylus?

If it ends up being a stylus CEDatum.com will rebuild existing stylus.

I got a free RCA (same model as yours) player that wouldnt play the movies and ended up just taking an air can that i use on my desktop pc and cleaned the stylus and the machine inside. It has been 100% working ever since.
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! With the player I had a replacement stylus and I changed it, it is a lot better i tried different disks but I still see interference on the tv, do you think it could be the belt?
hamerly26

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeodd wrote:
Thanks for the replies! With the player I had a replacement stylus and I changed it, it is a lot better i tried different disks but I still see interference on the tv, do you think it could be the belt?

Open it up and see what kind of shape the belts are in and if its making any strange sounds when its on. The belts are cheap to buy if needed. If the belts look really worn out give it a shot. I dont know much other than that though so if its not that hopefully someone else on here has some ideas.
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok and is there a faq on how to open this and know where the belt is?
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

typically if the belt is bad, it causes a different kind of distortion, although i wouldnt rule out the belt, i would carefully inspect some of the discs without touching them to see if they have any defects on them, over the years the discs may have gotten roughed up from being moved or mishandled, and can cause poor playback issues. most of the time its because they are stacked on top of each other to the point where there is so much weight it ruins the disc.

next i would check the stylus. unfortunately the tip of the stylus is very small and with the naked eye i suppose would be able to tell if it was dirty, but usually is done with a microscope, there are ways to clean it at home, but i do not recommend any of them, i know they can be cleaned/ fixed at cedatum, but i see you are in canada, so the shipping might be expensive...
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a replacement stylus that was brand new in the box, never used, so I changed it and the picture is a lot better but there is a lot of interference or snow on the tv screen, i tried with several discs including on that had never ever been played and still there is static on screen
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe try switching it to channel 4? sometimes it works better on channel 4, or vice versa, depending on the area you live in. i just want to exhaust all the simple things before the complicated ones. the turntable shaft might just need lube also...

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/belt-replacement-guide/belt-specs.html#toshiba-belt-note
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on channel 4, but there is still interference, il try to check the discs see how they look, btw what is the best way to store ced?
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have mine stored on shelves the way LP records would be, but basically as long as they arent laid flat and stacked on they should be okay. the typical giveaway a disc is stacked is only the first 5 or 10 minutes of the side and the last 5 or 10 minutes of a side play fine, but there is noise and interference in the middle, typically on both sides of the disc
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its weird, cause earlierI changed the stylus for a new one, I tried a movie and there was interference but it was working, now, my player is flashing L when there is no disks i suppose this is for Load, but even if i put a ced in, I dont have a signal and my tv screen is blue...maybe its the antenna jack on the player that is not working..
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never flashed "L" before all this? it means load. its possible the coax out went bad, but since it lacks the rca jack output there is no way to tell. how is the audio, is it comparable to the video?
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont hear any audio its like there is absolutely no signal, i hear the Ced spinning, i can fast and the mechanism is moving but i dont have any picture or sound..and i try with several ced sont i have about a hundre of em, i played rocky this afternoon and it was working and no i have nothing...
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy molly! Its working now! I sprayed duster in the selectavision and changed my coax cable and it works. But there is still a bit of interference on the screen but it might be cause i have other electronics items around (i have an old tv that is not even flatscreen)!
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded another youtube video so you can see the intereference, do you think its the ced or something else?

http://youtu.be/efR8leiz7gg
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you sprayed duster into the "selectavision" what exactly do you mean by that?

Also do you have contact cleaner?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duster is the stuff you use on computer keyboards to get rid of the dust and i dont have contact cleaner, what is that? How do you use it?
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeodd wrote:
Duster is the stuff you use on computer keyboards to get rid of the dust and i dont have contact cleaner, what is that? How do you use it?

I know what duster is that's why I used quotes on the selectavision. I was wondering where you sprayed it.

Contact cleaner is for electronics and other things but it takes some oxidation, grease and oils off. You can use it for plugs and contacts inside electronics. I have used it to clean sticky juice out of gameboy and it worked again! I use on lots of things.

That being said I looks like a dirty stylus or the channel selector switch needing a good cleaning with contact cleaner.

It could be a number of things but those are the easiest things to check for your particular problem with out having the player in my hands!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Mikeodd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just popped the top off the selectavision and sprayed some duster in it and there was a lot of dust there! I think you are right regarding the channel switch cause when i touch it there is less interference. For the stylus, my selectavision came with a replacement stylus that had bever been used, so i changed the old one for the new one.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeodd wrote:
I just popped the top off the selectavision and sprayed some duster in it and there was a lot of dust there! I think you are right regarding the channel switch cause when i touch it there is less interference. For the stylus, my selectavision came with a replacement stylus that had bever been used, so i changed the old one for the new one.

Go to radioshack, walmart, bestbuy or something like that. They have contact cleaner. About the stylus though. You will never know its true condition until it is looked at with a 200x microscope. There is a group who clean them for free and repair or rebuild if needed for a fee. www.cedatum.com They are the only ones who do it! Its best to send both to them.

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: