CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private Messaging disabled????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitskaboodle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Private Messaging disabled???? Reply with quote

I tried to send a private message on this forum and it said this feature has been disabled? Why?
Kit
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPAM control, more or less. Either the member provides their email in the body or allows email from CED Magic.

All email from the site comes from Tom's account (the owner/admin) and a message from him is sent to you the first time. If there is a problem with the email's content etc the you can return that message to make a complaint (call it spam, said or did something that you didn't like) and if things are bad you can have that member blocked from using the site's email system or possibly banned.

Once you have established contact you then can then send email to them directly after that.

Best I can describe it at the moment, but it also keeps the server free of PMs and other files and that means minimal server upgrades concerning space!

You have to post hosted photos too. Most of the traffic goes to the main part of the site, cedmagic.com and a small portion to the forums, so it's pretty basic and low budget.
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private messages should be enabled here,people dont wanna expose thier email address on a public base like this that can be indexed by google,etc.........
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither your registration data nor your email given for messages are being index in search engines in that matter. As I've explained, all initial messages are sent from Tom's account on this site and they allow you to return the message to Tom if you have a problem with the message and the sender can be blocked directly. Your address is not available to them unless you accept and reply TO THEM.

I think you would realize as much as I do that if the database were breached it's possible that we all would be compromised...

The difference is that Tom has been involved with PCs for many, many years and is a pretty good administrator. Keeping messaging mostly disconnected from the server means that your messages are actually safer and you won't get jammed when something goes wrong (and the site WAS down for some time late last year). You can continue communicating when it's down.

There are many good reasons PMs are not used here, and with a small membership it makes really good sense.
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean if someone types thier email address in a message like this: hello@123.com that can be indexed......
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is their choice. They have that right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: