CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US players that will work in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: US players that will work in the UK Reply with quote

Hello, I'm interested in importing a US player into the UK because (as with laser discs) there seem to be so many more titles available on NTSC discs. Am I right to think that as long as I get a player that has AV rather than RF output and uses quartz timing for the turntable rather than line frequency (as ours is 50Hz in the UK compared to your 60Hz) that everything will play fine?

All (or most) the UK players were made by Hitachi, whereas the US ones seem to be RCA. According to the list of players on CEDmagic, the Hitachi models used quartz timing, so would they work for me and would it be easy to find replacement parts or am I best to stock with RCA? Problem is SKT400s don't come on ebay often! Thanks, Stephen.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some big deals to get past.

PAL and NTSC need to be converted. They are incompatible and you'll want to find a set that plays multiple standards (you can find that okay) or a recorder that converts if you want to record them, whether digitally or in analog.

You need a voltage standards converter to use the US player in the UK.

I'll explain why. Running a 60 Hz *cycles per second device on 50 Hz means you have about 16 PERCENT less cycles. The scanning relies on that 60 cycle line frequency to scan 60 times a second, 1/2 a frame each scan and in sequence making 30 full FRAMES each second. In the old UK system it was 50 cycles, 1/2 scan, 25 frames. The difference create some very noticeable flickering and artifacts when you are used to watching the other way (look up 'persistence of vision' for some insight on why). You are going to get some rolling picture problems as well because of over or underscanning dependent on which way you go NTSC on PAL/vice versa.

I have an old Pioneer audio timer for my stereo that has worldwide voltage capability, for an example. I had to tape over the 50/60 Hz switch on the bottom of the timer because I found it could get moved from 60 to 50 when I put it down and you wouldn't BELIEVE how time flew! Confused

60 Hz things don't run well on 50 Hz and likewise 50 Hz runs funny on 60.

PAL isn't NTSC on UHF with 100 more scan lines, the audio and video are in different area on the carrier and the color is completely different too. Simply using the composite video isn't the solution because it's the same video signal and still not compatible. The separate stereo audio is the only difference from the coaxial.

If you have an old NTSC US TV you only had the voltage conversion to do.

I think some or many of these new LCD flat panel digital TVs are supposed to convert for you, you'd have to look that up. Still, it's not as simple as it sounds.

Last edited by kitchensynch on Fri May 22, 2015 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well folks there you have it Wink cant really explain it better
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant 16 PERCENT less cycles, of course, and I corrected that.

It's like shutting down a cylinder on a six-cylinder engine. Likewise 60 into 50 is like overloading that engine, it will run badly.
happycube

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Tom did for the reverse - he basically regenerated the 220v/50hz power by going AC->DC->AC:

http://www.cedmagic.com/misc/ntsc-pal/ntsc-pal.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: