CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this SKT-090 a lost cause?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Is this SKT-090 a lost cause? Reply with quote

There's an eBay auction up right now for an SKT-090 player:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-SelectaVision-Video-Disk-Player-Model-SKT-090-/161636854474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a24eaaca

I'm looking at it as a prospective buy because I have no player for my CEDs and would like to grab one on the cheap. Honestly I'd rather have one with stereo and visual search capabilities, but as an introductory model this one doesn't seem too bad.

The issue described seems like it might be more trouble that it's worth, though. I'm going to assume it's an issue with the motorized loading mechanism. From the listing:

"I had bought this at auction being told it worked, when I got it home I hooked it up, put a record in it and it played the record but when it came time to reject I put the case back in expecting the record to come back out and it didn't..I took it apart and had to break the record to get it out..I is being sold as is and not working and for parts."

Any thoughts? Smile
hiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, call me impulsive, call me impatient, just don't call me late for dinner. Wink

I went ahead and bought that player in hopes that I'll be able to fix it up, my rationale being that it's an under-$50 investment and aside from the disc-eject issue it seems to be in working condition. I just hope the seller didn't mess up anything else while removing the stuck disc.

I'd still love to hear any feedback you folks have to offer though!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont have to break the disc to get it out. if it takes the disc in but doesnt reject it, and the belt isnt slipping, there is a possibility have a bad diode in the load circuit, im not sure, i dont think i have encountered a load but no unload. you have to take the cover of it off and watch it operate. worst comes to worse, you buy a higher model in the j/k series and you use the 90 for spare parts, if it is shipped without shipping locks, or screws consider it a lost cause.
hiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts!

I had the same reaction; they must have just gotten frustrated with the thing and decided the best way to remove the disc was in pieces. But if it went in, it only stands to reason that it can come out! I didn't see anything in the CED Magic repair guide about a disc just getting stuck in there, we'll have to see what it looks like when I get it.

I guess that's the phrase of the day with this unit... "we'll see!"
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking, it is possible that the person didnt remove the shipping locks and tried to insert a disc. the door will still open with the locks inserted. he probably put a disc in it and when the mechanism went to lower the disc, it broke the drive pin ( fixable ) because the pins were locking it in place, and now it wont function to eject the disc.
hiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting possibility. It does look like it's seen some use, but the previous owner may have reinstalled the shipping locks before putting it up for sale...
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiro wrote:
That's an interesting possibility. It does look like it's seen some use, but the previous owner may have reinstalled the shipping locks before putting it up for sale...

well, the factory shipping locks are a rare commodity, so most people just use screws, and are very innocuous if they arent brought to your attention with a tag of some sort like the factory locks have ( kind of like a remove before flight ribbon ) the buyer might not of even known anything about locks in the first place. most sellers on ebay claim ignorance
hiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. I should be receiving the unit on Thursday, so I'll be sure to post a follow-up once I've had a chance to inspect its innards.
hiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got this player in the mail today. Either they didn't put it back together quite right or just didn't cushion it enough, because the front plate wasn't properly seated. There were a couple of tiny shards of plastic in the package that matched the color of the front plate, so I'm guessing some small part of it shattered. As long as it (eventually) works, though, I'm not so worried about cosmetics.

I haven't had a chance to pop it open yet and probably won't until later in the day, but when I plugged it in to see if it at least powered on, the display lit up with "--" and a motor started whirring and didn't stop. I'm not gonna mess around with it any more until I take off the case, since I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that (correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it say "L" if it's waiting for a disc to be inserted?).
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiro wrote:
Okay, I got this player in the mail today. Either they didn't put it back together quite right or just didn't cushion it enough, because the front plate wasn't properly seated. There were a couple of tiny shards of plastic in the package that matched the color of the front plate, so I'm guessing some small part of it shattered. As long as it (eventually) works, though, I'm not so worried about cosmetics.

I haven't had a chance to pop it open yet and probably won't until later in the day, but when I plugged it in to see if it at least powered on, the display lit up with "--" and a motor started whirring and didn't stop. I'm not gonna mess around with it any more until I take off the case, since I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that (correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it say "L" if it's waiting for a disc to be inserted?).

it means the belts are likely slipping, and the stylus arm possibly cant return, or the tray cant finish its eject cycle, it should say L if you can post up some pics of your finds we'll try our best to help out
hiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, and I really appreciate the help! At the moment I'm working on removing the casing without breaking anything. I've got the four large screws removed from the underside and have popped off the face plate (and found my arch-nemesis, the ribbon cable, although this one doesn't look nearly as fragile as those used in modern electronics). I'm working on the assumption that the smaller screw on the underside holds something in that I don't need to remove at this point in the process.

I can't quite figure out if I'm supposed to slide the casing off toward the back of the unit, or pop it off at the sides and lift it off the top. Possible screw-ups by the previous owner are complicating things, because I don't know if it was put back on properly the last time it was opened.

EDIT: Annnnd I just found the instructions on this site saying I should remove the two screws from the BACK of the player, not the ones on the bottom. A little research goes a long way.
hiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so... as soon as I got the casing off, it started working more normally. No constantly-spinning motor, and when I powered it on the display read "--" until the transfer rod lowered, then it blinked "L" and waited for a disc to be inserted. So far so good!

I popped in a disc I wasn't too attached to, and the loading mechanism grabbed the caddy as it should, extracted the tray and disc, and popped the caddy out for me to remove it. But when I did and the disc dropped onto the turntable, it missed the spindle. The turntable started spinning anyway, and when I nudged the disc over onto the spindle it made a pretty unpleasant noise. The stylus arm doesn't seem to move at all. The reject button didn't do anything (not sure if that button itself isn't working or if it was just ignoring it because it was trying to do something else first). I could power it off, but when I turned it back on the turntable would just start spinning again.

I ended up powering down the player, manually disengaging the clips from the tray at the back of the unit and lifting the disc up so I could get the caddy back in and pull the disc out. Now when I turn it on, I hear a faint hum but the display just reads "--" again. If I press the switch at the back that detects when a disc is inserted, the turntable starts to spin again until I press the power button twice. At this point, though, I can't get it to do anything else.

Another thing I thought was weird is that the door in the faceplate is always down, ready for a disc to be inserted. It doesn't budge when I try to move it manually either, so is it supposed to always be in that position or is it normally supposed to close until I'm loading/ejecting a disc?

I can take pictures of any parts needed to diagnose the issue tomorrow, but for now I'm just gonna hit the hay. Again, I appreciate anyone willing to help out with this process--I expect to learn quite a bit about how this machine works along the way, which is always a good thing!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiro wrote:

EDIT: Annnnd I just found the instructions on this site saying I should remove the two screws from the BACK of the player, not the ones on the bottom. A little research goes a long way.

yes just 2 phillips on the back side all you have to do is remove them, and holding the sides of the lid at the rear pull up and to the rear and the cover slides off, the face place should not have to be removed for any of this.

and the door is only supposed to be open when it is taking or rejecting a disc, any other time, it should remain shut

Last edited by SelectaVision420 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:14 am; edited 3 times in total
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiro wrote:
Okay, so... as soon as I got the casing off, it started working more normally. No constantly-spinning motor, and when I powered it on the display read "--" until the transfer rod lowered, then it blinked "L" and waited for a disc to be inserted. So far so good!

I popped in a disc I wasn't too attached to, and the loading mechanism grabbed the caddy as it should, extracted the tray and disc, and popped the caddy out for me to remove it. But when I did and the disc dropped onto the turntable, it missed the spindle. The turntable started spinning anyway, and when I nudged the disc over onto the spindle it made a pretty unpleasant noise. The stylus arm doesn't seem to move at all. The reject button didn't do anything (not sure if that button itself isn't working or if it was just ignoring it because it was trying to do something else first). I could power it off, but when I turned it back on the turntable would just start spinning again.

I ended up powering down the player, manually disengaging the clips from the tray at the back of the unit and lifting the disc up so I could get the caddy back in and pull the disc out. Now when I turn it on, I hear a faint hum but the display just reads "--" again. If I press the switch at the back that detects when a disc is inserted, the turntable starts to spin again until I press the power button twice. At this point, though, I can't get it to do anything else.

Another thing I thought was weird is that the door in the faceplate is always down, ready for a disc to be inserted. It doesn't budge when I try to move it manually either, so is it supposed to always be in that position or is it normally supposed to close until I'm loading/ejecting a disc?

I can take pictures of any parts needed to diagnose the issue tomorrow, but for now I'm just gonna hit the hay. Again, I appreciate anyone willing to help out with this process--I expect to learn quite a bit about how this machine works along the way, which is always a good thing!

so what about shipping locks, were there any at all or screws or what? im still thinking that pin broke off of the gear, let me find an example of what i mean
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a flow chart from one of my skt manuals, do me a favor and follow this chart as far as you can and maybe we can figure it out from there, because im getting mixed messages about what the symptom might be. if its not a problem with the gear train though the hopes of fixing it went down...
you can basically start in the center there where it says " does caddy rev direction?" then follow the no line and answer the rest of the questions as best as you can

hiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
and the door is only supposed to be open when it is taking or rejecting a disc, any other time, it should remain shut

I thought as much, but even when the faceplate was popped off I couldn't get the door to budge. Didn't try to force it too hard, because I didn't want to snap the plastic, but it seems pretty solidly stuck.

As for shipping locks/screws, I couldn't see anything that didn't look like it belonged there. Should I be able to manually move the pickup arm along its track? Because I can't, although again I didn't try to force it. If that's supposed to easily glide along the track, it seems like a prime candidate for getting a screw installed to prevent that, but I don't see one.

Right now the player seems to think there's a disc installed but doesn't respond when I press "reject." It's gone back to just reading "--" when powered on, and doesn't do anything until I press the switch in the back, which I'm guessing is the spine sensor. Then the turntable starts spinning but nothing else seems to happen. I guess this is understandable since I had to manually take the disc and spine out of the player the first time I tested it. Not sure how to reset whatever mechanism thinks there's a disc in there. I see what the previous owner meant by not being able to eject the disc though.

Following the flowchart, starting at "does caddy rev direction?"... I'm assuming that's asking if the mechanism reverses its direction before pushing the empty caddy back out. It does. And then it pushes the empty caddy out as expected. The spine is captured by the hooks on the rod at the back. I'm a little confused by "FM Run after Caddy Removal?", but I'm guessing it's asking if the function motor continues to run after I've removed the empty caddy. I didn't see the gears back there turning at that point, it just dropped the disc and started up the turntable (although the disc didn't hit the spindle the way it should have, as I noted before... I had to nudge it on there manually). I can check the voltage at IC 5901 if necessary, but I'm not sure which pins to use to do so.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to be clear, the location of the shipping locks is the 2 holes under the face plate

the stylus arm is driven by a gear train, the only way to move it is by manually rolling one of the reduction gears, or letting the player do it (the only way to remove the stylus is to manually roll the gear forward until the transfer rod lowers an the stylus arm advances forward)

is the stylus in its "home" position? it should be hidden basically towards the face plate

before i go further, you really need to be patient with this, there are some fragile parts in the player that are hard to find. go slow and dont force stuff. and be careful of static electricity its easy to zap these boards
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed you said that the disc didnt fall down onto the spindle and you had to nudge it on.. im trying to think about this angle now, although this is sounding more like it was damaged in shipping. shipping one of these with out shipping locks is a real bad idea...
hiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay... nope, no screws or shipping locks then.

The stylus isn't in the home position right now; I can roll the gear like you mentioned (while the unit is powered off) to get it all the way back under the face plate, but as soon as it's plugged in the stylus arm moves back out, presumably to start playing the disc it thinks is there.

Aside from the disc not falling onto the spindle, as far as I can tell I was able to replicate the issue the previous owner had. He was able to get it to play a disc, it just wouldn't give up the disc when he was done. So from my (admittedly inexperienced in this area) point of view, it seems like there was something wrong with it to begin with (ejecting) and now there might be another problem caused by damage during shipping (loading). Joy!

I've been pretty ginger with it thus far, since if it's possible I'd rather fix it up than use it for parts. Although thinking about it now, if there are any hard-to-find plastic parts, it might be possible to 3D print replacements. Just an observation for possible future reference, since I have two relatives who own 3D printers.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiro wrote:
Ah, okay... nope, no screws or shipping locks then.

The stylus isn't in the home position right now; I can roll the gear like you mentioned (while the unit is powered off) to get it all the way back under the face plate, but as soon as it's plugged in the stylus arm moves back out, presumably to start playing the disc it thinks is there.

Aside from the disc not falling onto the spindle, as far as I can tell I was able to replicate the issue the previous owner had. He was able to get it to play a disc, it just wouldn't give up the disc when he was done. So from my (admittedly inexperienced in this area) point of view, it seems like there was something wrong with it to begin with (ejecting) and now there might be another problem caused by damage during shipping (loading). Joy!

I've been pretty ginger with it thus far, since if it's possible I'd rather fix it up than use it for parts. Although thinking about it now, if there are any hard-to-find plastic parts, it might be possible to 3D print replacements. Just an observation for possible future reference, since I have two relatives who own 3D printers.

dont worry bro, once you get your way around one after a while they are fairly easy to work with, the 90 is a great model to start with learning on! im hoping another member or 2 will chime in i have service literature and stuff, but you have to be careful with what you touch or adjust because the player might not like it and you may have to put it back the way it was and try something else... basicaly a lot of trial and error. the sjt and skt models are a lot easier to service than the f/g and foreign models

another huge word of caution is to always visually check a disc before you put it in the player to prevent stylus damage, they discs are very easily damaged when they are out of the caddy, even a fingerprint will cause bad playback.

if you can infact get this machine to take a disc and it advances the stylus but still reads "--" the stylus arm itself is bad. they have sensitive coil pickups up in them and they can be damaged in shipping if the arm isnt secured with its shipping locks
hiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep that in mind... hopefully the pickups are still good, since I'd imagine those can't be easily replaced.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will my SGT 075 lend any parts Hiro needs?

And you should look closely at the lid and check to see if it's flat placing weight on them tends to warp/bow them over time, they aren't meant for stacking).

Since you state that some of the problem goes away when the lid is off, this sounds possible.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:

And you should look closely at the lid and check to see if it's flat placing weight on them tends to warp/bow them over time, they aren't meant for stacking).

Since you state that some of the problem goes away when the lid is off, this sounds possible.

no, from what i understand, f/g and j/k chassis are mutually incompatible
hiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:

Thanks for the offer of parts! Although I think SV420 is right in that the two players are too different for much interchangeability.

The lid does seem to be flat across the top. I think the reason it helped to remove it was because the player thought it had a disc in it when I got it. Something happened when I removed the lid to reset that, and so it let me try to load a disc. Now it's back in that state again, unfortunately, and I'm still not sure what's up. =\
hiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, hopefully I haven't just invited more of a headache, but I couldn't pass up the chance to snag a cheap SJT-400 on eBay. It was listed as-is for parts, but the seller noted that it powered on and no further testing was done. I did ask them to make sure screws were installed in the shipping lock slots on this one just to be safe. It looks like it's in good cosmetic condition, so I'm hoping that it won't be in bad functional condition either.

Either way, hopefully between these two players I'll be able to cobble together something that works. I'll also be able to compare and contrast how things look in the two machines, which might help me diagnose any problems! Smile
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiro wrote:
So, hopefully I haven't just invited more of a headache, but I couldn't pass up the chance to snag a cheap SJT-400 on eBay. It was listed as-is for parts, but the seller noted that it powered on and no further testing was done. I did ask them to make sure screws were installed in the shipping lock slots on this one just to be safe. It looks like it's in good cosmetic condition, so I'm hoping that it won't be in bad functional condition either.

Either way, hopefully between these two players I'll be able to cobble together something that works. I'll also be able to compare and contrast how things look in the two machines, which might help me diagnose any problems! Smile

You should look for the DVD on the J/K series on eBay as well then...it will probably be of help.
hiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try looking for that when I saw it mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but I haven't had any success finding it. Do you know what the listing title would be by any chance? I'd love to pick that up.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not finding it either...I'm not one to copy stuff like this that was meant as their current and direct bread and butter, it would also be time consuming with only Windows Movie Maker but if I just go look in the other room!

This disc is copyright 2004!

You know, I had to persuade him to keep at it when I got it from him...he DID for a while...did he just give up?

I've been thinking of taping it too. He placed a printed sheet with a table of contents in the case too.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is as close as you may get to the DVD...

http://www.ebay.com/gds/RCA-Videodisc-Keeping-Them-Working-/10000000001829775/g.html

I hope that helps. This members account is closed. Their feedback is short and has no real immediate clue as to what they may have sold but they wrote a detailed guide. Tom or one of the rest of us would have to vouch for it's usefulness. There aren't enough items to even suggest they sold the DVD, at least not from THAT account.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiro wrote:
I did try looking for that when I saw it mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but I haven't had any success finding it. Do you know what the listing title would be by any chance? I'd love to pick that up.

i heard some less than thrilling reviews about that... we are in the process of making modern how-to's but the ced workshop isnt for a few months still...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: