CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Database - convert to Excel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icward22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Database - convert to Excel? Reply with quote

Hello - I am new to this group and this technology. I am here because I like to buy and sell stuff and on a whim bought about 2000 CED's from a guy here in Houston. He got them from a storage building where they had been kept for many years after the owner closed down a store in Ca. Anyway, since finding this site I was amazed that such a complete data base existed. I thought if I could put it into a spreadsheet it would help me greatly while doing an inventory of what I have. But, apparently my Excel skills are not very good because I cannot simply copy and paste the information into a spreadsheet in a meaningful way.
So - does anyone know how to do it, or have you been able to do it and if you have, would you send me a copy?
I am jcward@sbcglobal.net
I look forward to learning a lot more about this stuff via this site.
I am watching for a good deal on a player - I don't want to have to start out trying to repair one but it looks like there is lots of help here for that, too.
Thanks.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there are only about 1700 titles in the data base, so im sure there are some duplicates in there. as far as spread sheet, i dont know anything about that... i am looking for some discs, can i shoot you a list of some titles im looking for?
icward22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply - this looks like a great site for help.
You can send me a list but it will be quite a while before I can go through everything I have. There are about 50 boxes with 45 or so discs each. I do have many duplicates. The inventory process would go faster if I had this spreadsheet to work from.
As I am a rookie, perhaps you could answer a couple of questions. What is the likelihood that the discs are still good/playable after such long and unknown storage conditions?
About half of these are "new" with plastic wrappers. But the plastic does not cover the entire sleeve - it has deteriorated or torn partially on them. Could they still be classified as "new" when I get around to selling?
Thanks.
icward22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind about the spreadsheet - I was able to remember how to do it. I now have 1 with columns for title, upc and rarity code.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icward22 wrote:
Never mind about the spreadsheet - I was able to remember how to do it. I now have 1 with columns for title, upc and rarity code.

to be honest the rarity code is a bit irrelevant in this day, as it is quite old now. how were the discs actually stored? i have had ruined discs in cellophane, and i have had mint discs in beat up caddies... its all in how they are stored. as long as they arent stacked flat they should be okay
icward22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These seem to have been stored standing up, not flat. Having gone through a couple hundred - mostly with plastic wrap covering them (although one side is missing) I notice bubbles on the cases of many. That says they got hot in storage (I think they have spent at least 20 years here in Tx.). Besides the cosmetic loss from the glue bubbling up, do you think the discs would still be OK? I am trying to buy a player from the same guy I bought the discs from but right now I cannot test them. If heat ruins them, I am really stuck.
Thanks.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can carefully defeat the lock tabs and gently pull the disc out being careful not to touch the disc surface itself, and look at them visually. you should check any foreign disc you have not played yet to make sure you dont damage the player with a broken disc. it is common for the labels to bubble over time, although if they are bad enough they may get stuck in the slot...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: