CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot power up my Sears CED player! Need a remote?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitskaboodle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Cannot power up my Sears CED player! Need a remote? Reply with quote

Woo hoo!! (first post). Smile
Hi, my name is Kit and I'm nuts about old technology! I am especially into 7 track players but also have two CED players. One of them I got at a garage sale for $6.00. Smile. I did have to replace a belt or two but no biggie. Anyways, this player is from Sears and after I plugged it into the wall I realized this thing has no power button! It does have a little rectangular plastic plate at the front right bottom corner of the unit and it says "Remote Control" and next to this is a round "din" type connector. Do I need a wired remote just to turn this thing on?? Sad Hmmm, maybe that's why it was $6 bucks..
Thanks, Kit
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sears and hitachi players do not have power buttons on the exterior! All you have to do is start inserting or insert the disc caddy all the way and it will power on and you will see lights on the display turn on! You then remove the caddy and disc stays inside and tries to lower and then stylus arm moves out to try and play the disc but, you will have to replace the belts if you haven't yet. The old belts get worn and stretched if you are lucky, otherwise they turn to goo! You can get them from here http://www.cedmagic.com/home/products.html No need for a remote unless you want to use one for fun! Welcome to the ced world! You will be addicted before you know it!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Kitskaboodle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy reply!
You are correct! Smile
I had pushed in a caddy but did not insert it far enough to turn it on. Ok, at this point it turned on but the red pointer is staying near the right side of the window by "standby". (even after I pushed Start )
So, at this point I took the cover off the unit, plugged it in, inserted a disc and then noticed the platter did not spin up. But, I did hear electric motor wine. So, I assume I need to replace the main belt. Ok, so I'm confused at how to get to the bottom of the unit so I can replace the belt. I'm not seeing how to get the chassis out from the bottom half of the plastic case. There are NO screws on the bottom of the unit?
Thanks, Kit
Kitskaboodle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update....
I figured out that you have to undo the screws on the front of the main pcb's and then the whole thing swings up and back so you can get to the belts. It turns out that the arm belt is the culprit. The arm belt motor spins nicely but the belt is so loose it's not turning the other pulley . I will be placing an order on Evilbay tommorow. There is a vendor selling PRB belts for only 3.59 each .
Kit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: