CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sears CED Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Sears CED Help Reply with quote

Hello,
I live in Ontario Canada, I grew up watching my Grandfathers CED's recently due to ill health he has had to move and while helping him move I came across his CED player and 400 disks. I was like a kid in a candy store when he offered it to me. I grew up watching these movies at his house. I have told my wife all about these movies as a kid, and now I have them. He has had it in a closet all this time.

I hooked up the player which is a SEARS Model 934.54780150 Manufactured July 1981. It is in Mint shape, and the Stylus looks new, however when I put a disk in it reads STAND BY, and nothing else happens.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what might cause this, or how it can be fixed. Can it even be repaired. I really would like to get it working and have my grandfather over to watch an old movie on his player. He is 77 and I am sure he would love it as much as me.
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Sears CED Help Reply with quote

I would guess your problem may be fixed as simply as replacing the neoprene arm drive belt, which is probably worn out, not allowing the pickup arm to move from the standby to the play position. Take a look at the chassis photo on this page:

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/belt-replacement-guide/vip1000-chassis.html

The arm drive belt is underneath the pickup arm when it is in the standby position, but you can see it by looking in from the side. The loading belt is also made of neoprene, but your ability to load and unload discs indicates it is still functional, although it is probably getting weak as well. The urethane timing belt is the most durable and seldom wears out.

Replacements for the neoprene belts can be obtained on the Products page for $1 each:

http://www.cedmagic.com/home/purchase.html

--Tom Howe
bt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Same problem with my Sears CED player Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to CED's and a friend gave me a Sears model 934.54800250 player with about 30 movies. This player takes a movie in and stays in the standby position. I can hear a "motor" start up and run for about 4 seconds, but then it shuts back down and the STANDBY light blinks again. It sounds like I need to crack it open again and this time lift the large circuit board to see the belts - thank you CED Magic for the input on this. I will definately post back here with my results.

Davef, did replacing the belt fix your problem???

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: