CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Videodisc Players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vip201p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: New Videodisc Players Reply with quote

Hi,

We came across a few brand new boxed Hitachi Videodisc (VIP101P & VIP201p) players and sealed discs whilst clearing out a loft of our electrical shop.

I have been asked to sell these and listed one on ebay which was purchased and relisted at over 500% more than the buyer paid. I have no issues with making a profit but would like what I believe to be a rare item to go to a collector, not just a profiteer. Is there anywhere I can go to for advice please?
Thanks in advance.

Lucy
cedwaechter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have one of these players as I collect them as a hobby. Could you let me know if you are interested in selling one of these? I would appreciate it Would also be interested in some movies as well. Thank you!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do believe blindfury420 (ryan) would be interested in this
Raintree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's always great when you sell something to a person who acts as a collector, then resells it right off.

Had a fellow trying to do that with all the LD players I'm getting sold for Dad, and then he got mad when I called him on it as though I owed him something. Basically he wanted several and I told him no more than two per person, as dad had me set the prices low.
stdjsb25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try offering them through here first.....if they are brand new and unused they will most definitely get a good home from one of the people here on this board.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to buy a 201p boxed! I am a hardcore collector and can guarantee I would not sell it for a profit! I need a boxed 201p! I think actually know of the person on ebay you are talking of, karen?! She is a nice one! haha sarcasm! I might have even purchased a 101p from you recently? Anyways please let me know you can click on my email button, I really would like to get that 201p boxed!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Raintree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they have an email button as well.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raintree wrote:
Looks like they have an email button as well.
Thanks, did not notice!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
stdjsb25

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: New Videodisc Players Reply with quote

vip201p wrote:

We came across a few brand new boxed Hitachi Videodisc (VIP101P & VIP201p) players and sealed discs whilst clearing out a loft of our electrical shop.
Lucy

One thing to note, however.....that if these have been in storage for a long time, and especially if that shop and its loft is the heat and humidity may have done damage to the belts on those players. If anything at minimum, you may have to at least replace all the belts.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucy, I would be very interested in a sealed Disc player of any model. my email is Beetlescott@msn.com. if you have any left, can you put in the subject like CED Player?

Thanks!
SKT-100
Fluffy73

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes though, that profiteering nature can seriously bite the person in the behind.

(I love telling this story as it also adds to the mystique of the car).

In 2003, I bought a 1975 AMC Hornet hatchback for $1500. It was a factory V8 car, but I went all out on it adding disc brakes, a 5 speed transmission, front and rear sway bars - made it a real Grand Touring car.

In 2006, I needed money to fund a move, so I sold the car online to a fella who claimed he had one in his college days and just wanted to relive some glory. $4500 and he drove it away. A week later, I find him listing it several cities away for $9000!!!! (which, if you're paying attention, is insane money for an AMC Hornet hatch)

Fast forward to 2008 and the car is STILL for sale! Can't imagine why? So, I sent the fella an email and offered him $3000. We traded emails back and forth a couple times, a few phone calls and settled at $3250.

A few nights later, I go to pick up the car. The dude does NOT recognize me. It wasn't until he looked at the old paperwork (he kept it!!! Shocked ) that he realized who I was. All of a sudden, he didn't want to sell the car. So I started collecting up the $100 dollar bills I'd brought and all of a sudden he changed his mind.

Yup, I sold my Hornet for $4500 and bought it back for $3250 two years later. Laughing So sometimes, Karma gets folks like that!
PaulSOCW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed a rare chance to get an untested SJT400 here in the UK due to being outbid by the same ebay user (karen) only for them to relist it less than a week later for around double what they paid for it.

They are clearly not a collector but someone in it for making a profit.
happycube

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh.

It's one thing if the reseller is a collector who knows what the item/player is and adds value to it first (new belts/tuning/good shipping for something bought local), but blind reselling is annoying.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how they can resell it and expect someone to pay more than they paid. It's an auction right? If they were the highest bidder how can they relist it for more and expect to get that much. I often watch discs on ebay and if they are only going for a couple of bucks for the rare ones I'll buy them with plans to resell them or use for trades later on. But more often than not I forget and they end and the majority of the time no one else bids on them either so they don't even sell. I think the last one I saw was Gremlins, a pretty sought after disc. Well it was only going for like $2 but I was working when it ended and didn't bid on it. No one else did either. Nobody wanted Gremlins for $2? I was surprised. Now if someone were to buy it and relist it for $25 would anyone actually pay that much for it seeing it didn't even sell for $2? That person who bought your boxed player may have relisted it for big money but she may never sell it, might even ended taking a loss like with that AMC. I just don't understand people like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: