CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SJT-200 Finally Bit It

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluffy73

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: SJT-200 Finally Bit It Reply with quote

Howdy all! Been a long time! So long in fact, I had to re-register because my old username and email are long gone.

Anywho, I'm still in the CED game just not as much as I used to be.

But just tonight, I ran into a problem. My trusty ol' SJT-200 finally stopped playing. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it might be the stylus.

I was watching the Kenny Rogers movie "Six Pack", when it came time to flip the disc, I did so and when it started playing side two, it had a really horrible skip. I tried running the play back and forth a few times (that normally cleans the groove out) but the skip got continually worse.

So, I gave up and tried to watch something else but now, the player will load, but my display stays at "--" and refuses to go into play mode.

I'm thinking that means my stylus has played it's last. Right?

(Which infuriates me to no end - there was an NOS stylus for my machine on ebay a few weeks ago and I didn't pull the trigger!)
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is likely your stylus! No need to worry though cedatum can clean, repair, or rebuild your stylus. At this point its almost pointless to buy nos stylus as it doesn't matter, they will need one of the 3 things done to it. Just take any styli you have and send them to John Stevens of cedatum at www.cedatum.com they will make your stylus brand new! Only one in the world that is actually able to repair ced styli!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Raintree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad's opiniong is that the stylus may have gotten pulled by the disc a little too hard and possibly the lead wire came loose.

He also says it's always a good idea to have an extra stylus for those who use their machines regularly. So next time grab one when you see it.
stdjsb25

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SJT-200 Finally Bit It Reply with quote

Fluffy73 wrote:
So, I gave up and tried to watch something else but now, the player will load, but my display stays at "--" and refuses to go into play mode.

Yep....your stylus went kaput. My SFT-100 did that when I started it up on Monday. Changed out the stylus with my Sanyo's stylus and that fixed it.
Fluffy73

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was about time anyway. I bought the player off eBay 6 or 7 years ago and even then, the seller told me that although it worked, he had no idea how much mileage was on the stylus. I figure I got my money out of it for sure.

Thanks for the info about cedatum. I sent him an email, hopefully I'll hear back soon.
Fluffy73

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you believe I managed to get it working again?? It turned out to be a big (though microscopic) chunk of gunk stuck to the side of the stylus. I gave it come close inspection just out of curiosity to figure out how it is these things really work and that's when I noticed the crud. Under some heavy magnification, I dislodged the gunk, cleaned the stylus with a little isopropyl, and she works just as before.

However, I'm going to place an order for some replacements. Better to be safe than sorry!
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't crud, it's the disc coating. At some point it sorta got stuck.

No new parts have been made in nearly thirty years, it's not like ordering a few Shure N44's...and no guarantee that what you buy won't need rebuilding from some deterioration over the years.

Conserve it well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: