CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something RCA about my avatar...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Something RCA about my avatar... Reply with quote

In case you wondered, it's an early prototype RCA TRK-series electronic television from the late '30s. I think it's perhaps 12 or 13 inches diagonal, I just don't recall the model or if it actually had an audio strip.

If you are interested in finding out more about why they invented a CED player in the first place then the Early Television Foundation site would be a great place to start...

http://www.earlytelevision.org/

The actual bricks-and mortar museum is located in Hilliard, Ohio...it's like TV Mecca and please! Don't park a rare Corvette near it??? Rolling Eyes
jeff7624

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats way too interesting! I live on the Ohio State University Campus so Hilliard is less than a 20 min drive. Guess I know where I am going this weekend! Thanks for the tip
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a miracle if I actually made it to Minnesota this summer to see my brother's oldest daughter's wedding, stuck here in eastern Oregon.

Early television technology fascinates me...antique radios are awesome but the picture tube/scanning wheel is a mile above that speaker in magicland!
CEDvince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just in that area! I have family there so I visit frequently. Definitely going to have to stop by.
2 - RCA SGT-200
2-RCA SJT-400
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is amazing. I've often wondered if there was this exact thing. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't find any of the CED related stuff you mentioned on the site, what section is it under?

I have the RCA Video Monitor from 1983 that goes with my RCA SJT400 CED Player and RCA VJP900 VCR. I'm not sure if they called it the Colortrack 2000 at that point but that's basically what it is. If you've seen the cover of the 1984 RCA Video Systems CED that is the exact setup I have, I've even got the Video Camera too.

http://cedmagic.com/v-title-database/rebe/rca-1984-video-1.html

I'm glad I found you so now I know where to bring my TV if it ever breaks. Plus if I bring it in person I can check out all the cool older TV's.

Also, I'm from MN as well. Where is your family from in MN. I'm down in Mankato.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I only said that without these sets there wouldn't BE a CED format! Smile

When every set, radio or television, had to be a work of art because they had a special place in the home...those are the days and sets to treasure, the early glory of the Broadcasting Age.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. I really hate living in a disposable world. Everything is made so cheap and crappy that's is easier and cheaper to throw it away and buy a new one than get the old one fixed. Whenever possible I try to spend a little more on something I know is going to last. Probably one of the reasons I love CED so much. Most of the players I get just need a new belt and they are good to go. The discs, when properly stored and cared for look as good today as they did when they were sold over 30 years ago. Can't say that about a lot of things these days.
Coffindan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Westinghouse 48" LCD flatscreen tv about 3 years ago. I had it for a year and a half when the power supply died. To fix it cost more than half what I paid for it. I went and replaced it with an RCA 48" LED and hopefully this will last much longer!

I remember growing up a tv would last forever it seemed. If there was a problem you took it to the repair shop or fixed it yourself. Now you just chuck it out the door which is sad. Nothing it made to last anymore.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've likely said a few times, I have a 30+ year old 17" Trinitron and even a 1963 RCA Victor 19" BW that still work.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Sarnoff and Vladimir Zworykin discuss the early days of television, circa 1956: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhqtByYjmPY

Also note that this is a fine example of good old fashioned company propaganda Smile so please don't fret that Philo Farnsworth doesn't figure into it.

Nobody other than NBC stations probably ever showed this and it uses the RCA film on sound recording process (also known as Photophone) and shows film footage of the 1954 NBC broadcast of the Tournament of Roses Parade (first west to east network NTSC color program broadcast January 1, 1954 on over 20 stations) and the '55 World Series (first color Series), among other firsts.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the parts of the 60th anniversary documentary for WGAL-TV (4 then channel eight) in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in full playlist form from You Tube...see a bit of history from the 37th commercial station to air in the entire US in 1949!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Pvy6YVjDw&list=PL0ACDF94C06F10A9C

PS The playlist poster picked a lot of other nice documentaries about TV for their list too. Oh, and Popeye's first cartoon Wink
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest avatar is the RCA from Winds Of Change by Jefferson Starship but at 80x80 pixels it doesn't come out so well.

If you'd rather see it at the beginning of the official VEVO video on You Tube go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7dJ3a-U6WQ

This is my favorite period of JS, when Mickey and Grace were together on record and you will notice Paul Kantner on a Keytar!

Also probably the wealthiest Carvin ever got, judging from the stacks at the rear Razz Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: