CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super-rare 1984 computer store videodisc found!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Super-rare 1984 computer store videodisc found! Reply with quote

You can see all of it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T1IYdjOpYE

I REALLY lucked out on this- someone on Ebay was selling one of the also quite rare video jukebox discs (anyone have more info on the history of those?) and since he was nearby I messaged him. Luckily I didn't get outbid on the jukebox disc, and he made me a deal on 2 others and threw in this one, which was stuck in a player for many years and had no caddy. The same thing is on both sides, a good thing since the other side is pretty trashed but I got this side to play with zero skips though there is a bit of noise in the picture.

I'm guessing this was intended for a store kiosk- I still need to check it on my 400 to see if it's banded, but there's no menu or anything like that. The segments are from a variety of sources. It hasn't shown up on any of the lists of existing, test, or vaporware titles, so wondering how many of these were made and what they were intended for.

I'll send a DVD copy to anybody who wants one- I know Tom Howe will want one, but if he's reading this I will need your address again.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting bit of history, back when the PC was so expensive and, without the internet, not much use to an average person.

One item of note is the blurb promoting the accounting software. While that is fine stuff to have for any self-run business, it isn't of particularly great use for a tax audit. Typically, tax auditors ignore or give little credence to software generated. printed-up self-provided documentation in favor of third-party documentation and actual receipts.
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice my friend!!!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats cool! thanks for the video!
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had time to write down the number stamped on this disc- it's 76476-60407. The 76476 part is the first numbers on every RCA title. Both sides have the barcode stamped in the middle but only side 1 has the copyright notice, as usual.

Still wondering how many of this disc were pressed and what it was intended for.
krbsforty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Fascinating! Reply with quote

Very intriguing. I have never seen most of these old computers before. Is there any more information about this CED anywhere online? Is the disc monophonic or stereophonic?
CEDatum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: CED disc 76476-60407 Reply with quote

RCA made custom pressings in the CED format for a number of companies. These were for training, conferences and video games, etc.
There were 7 discs made for Compuvision, the software development company. 76476- 60401 - 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. and 60407.

These were single sided discs. They were never for sale to the public.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEDatum wrote:
RCA made custom pressings in the CED format for a number of companies. These were for training, conferences and video games, etc.
There were 7 discs made for Compuvision, the software development company. 76476- 60401 - 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. and 60407.

These were single sided discs. They were never for sale to the public.

god damn you know way too much hahah! So was it seven disc's total or 7 different disc's?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like there were seven different ones- must be insanely rare as they aren't on Tom's list. The one I have is in mono, as on the YouTube upload. So who has the other 6? Smile
CEDatum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Clarification on Compuvision discs. Reply with quote

To clarify. There were 7 disc titles pressed for Compuvision. I do not know the quantity of discs in each of the 7 press runs. For custom disc titles, the press qty was usually small.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Clarification on Compuvision discs. Reply with quote

CEDatum wrote:
To clarify. There were 7 disc titles pressed for Compuvision. I do not know the quantity of discs in each of the 7 press runs. For custom disc titles, the press qty was usually small.

good to know thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: