CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question to our admin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dude111

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: A question to our admin Reply with quote

Hey buddy how are you??

Do you have alot of space available to you on the computer this site is on

Im asking because Im wondering if you would consider enabling PMs,it would make it MUCH EASIER to contact someone who might have a player for sale or something else.....

I want to know if you have alot of room or not before asking you to consider it...

Dude111 Smile
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe there is aq simple reason there is not private messaging service on this site.

It hasn't got to do with server space, it has to do with being able to control spam and unwanted contacts.

If the member has posted an email or messaging address you can either contact them here by email (if they chose that in setup) or off the list.

The site email function is indirect, much like Craigslist is/was, until you have established that you want to continue outside of it. If you have a reason to believe the message isn't kosher or just spamming you can reply to the notification directly without having to view it in a compromising manner and report it. You cannot send a mass message either (to more than one person) so in this way it's much more secure than a PM setup.

In this way it's easier to prevent site disruption and promote better relations between members.

While I'm definitely NOT Tom, I can tell you that he is old-school savvy and chose this arrangement AND platform (phpBB) for these very reasons (not to mention vBulletin isn't cheap and a chore to operate and keep going).

PS Tom and I have somewhat as much experience with using computers, at least in the amount of time although I would guarantee Not with a server (I've been at this since 1978 at least).

Okay, time is about it but I know that much Smile
Dude111

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that might be the reason,i dunno...... (Although if someone spams someone in PM they can be removed)

Maybe your right bud Smile
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our relatively small condition it is a lot more important to protect the site from exploits, even if you might not understand how. Smaller groups are much more prone to be overrun and ruined without vigilence than large ones. Large sites tend to have a lot of moderators to watch for problems. I am a member of a small forums site that was overrun with junk registrations and had to close instant registrations, approve all new ones and even so the junk members were lurking and watching all the time before this. The site is virtually dead but for me and another member occasionally and the lone moderator-the owner is young and was at college, got married and had a kid in the fifteen or so years of the main good years of the site and was taken by surprise...it dosn't take very long at ALL...Usenet trolls took longer although eventually a good degree of separation of the main Usenet from the Google Groups portal also helped reassert control.

Tom is doing a great job.
Dude111

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he is........ I think its sad he isnt more active here.....
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's actually a blessing that we are able to function well on our own, and pretty effectively. Dude111, you know me pretty well from another site so I think you know how I feel and I appreciate being here. I was a big fan and user of the CED Magic main website long before I joined these discussion forums. Blindfury420 invited me here from some question posts on eBay.

Tom may seem like an enigma to you but I don't mind if he's not here by his own name (and that doesn't mean he's not actively participating at all).

He's here...and little Carol-Anne is safe (this is RCA, that set was a SONY)! Smile
7jlong

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good way to see if Tom might surface or not is by checking the Products for Purchase page at the main site: http://cedmagic.com/home/purchase.html

Tom usually pulls down the "store" when he is unavailable. I will suggest from watching his photo feed on FB that he might be absent for a bit longer - looks like he's in the middle of a big bicycle tour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: