CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cincinnati new to ced - advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beer&bourbon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Cincinnati new to ced - advice? Reply with quote

I'm new to the world of ced. I picked up an RCA SFT100W from an estate sale, but didn't get any disks with it. How should I make sure the belts and needle works - or should I just assumed they don't and pick up new ones? If that's the case, what's the best source for new belts and needles?

I've looked at a few thrift stores for disks, but haven't seen anything. I know there are plenty on eBay, but with the expense of shipping I was hoping to find some locally. Any recommendations for the Cincinnati and/or Dayton area?

Any recommendations for hooking this up to a modern tv? I can hook it up to the antenna hookup, but I'd like to be able to use an antenna. The chord it came with gas an attachment that converts the single prong end to two terminals (they look like they letter y); should I be using this hookup?

Thanks all and cheers!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there! welcome!

here is a link to my list of discs for sale

http://www.cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1983&start=0

also ketonic dude on here has a ton for sale as well! PM's are disabled on the boards however

also belts can be purchased through cedmagic http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/belt-replacement-guide/belt-specs.html#toshiba-belt-note,
and also [url]cedatum.com[/url]
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cincinnati new to ced - advice? Reply with quote

beer&bourbon wrote:
I'm new to the world of ced. I picked up an RCA SFT100W from an estate sale, but didn't get any disks with it. How should I make sure the belts and needle works - or should I just assumed they don't and pick up new ones? If that's the case, what's the best source for new belts and needles?

I've looked at a few thrift stores for disks, but haven't seen anything. I know there are plenty on eBay, but with the expense of shipping I was hoping to find some locally. Any recommendations for the Cincinnati and/or Dayton area?

Any recommendations for hooking this up to a modern tv? I can hook it up to the antenna hookup, but I'd like to be able to use an antenna. The chord it came with gas an attachment that converts the single prong end to two terminals (they look like they letter y); should I be using this hookup?

Thanks all and cheers!

First, you'll have to get a CED disc just to try it out and see how it does, then you'll get an idea of how it works and what needs to be done.

You can hook up your antenna to the antenna input on the back of the CED polayer, then hook up the output to your TV. You will have to tune your TV to analog channel 3 to get the CED player signal. When the CED player is off, you will get your regular antenna signal.

Now, many of the modern TVs have a jumpy picture with CED players, so if that happens, don't be alarmed. It is possible to clear it up.

The Y you describe sounds like a splitter, and is probably not necessary for initial hookup. It's useful for times when you want the same signal to go to more than one device, like if you have one antenna and want to hook up two TVs.

So get a disc, and let us know what happens
beer&bourbon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! I also contacted John at cedatum and got the following information:

"If you do not know any history about the player . Remove the top cover ( 3 +screws on the back ) and check inside the player to see if there are any 'foreign objects' that should not be there. Clean the inside and check manually that the turntable rotates. Check that there is a stylus installed.

Then if all is OK plug the player into AC. and check that you get an "L" ( Load) indication on the display when the lever on the right is in the down position.

If all the above is OK then you can insert a disc and start play.

The player may need a new turntable belt and arm servo belt. Also lubrication."

I'd already opened the back to check the needle. The player itself is in pristine condition. I obviously can't really check the needle, but the cart is in there and looks fine. I'll check for foreign objects in the player this weekend. I've searched a few more thrift stores and vintage shops around town and still haven't found anything. There's one listing on cl that I plan to check out if time permits. I'll report back when I know if it works. I've introduced a bunch of friends to the concept of CED already so I'm already pretty happy with the purchase (for the history alone).

Cheers,
Roger
beer&bourbon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see any foreign objects, but I wasn't able to completely open the player. I decided to plug it in. The front display lit up with an L displayed, but when I moved the switch to play, the table didn't turn. I figured it would needed a new belt. Can anyone send me an electronic copy of the player manual so I can check if there are other problems (so I can hopefully get all of the necessary pieces in one order)? Thanks!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beer&bourbon wrote:
I didn't see any foreign objects, but I wasn't able to completely open the player. I decided to plug it in. The front display lit up with an L displayed, but when I moved the switch to play, the table didn't turn. I figured it would needed a new belt. Can anyone send me an electronic copy of the player manual so I can check if there are other problems (so I can hopefully get all of the necessary pieces in one order)? Thanks!

when you moved it to play there was a disc in there?
beer&bourbon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I still don't have any discs. I was just trying to see if the player is working; will the turntable not spin without a disc?
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, turntable will not spin without a disc. You must have a disc inserted to get it to function. Buy some discs from someone here, or a lot of a few off ebay. They aren't all that expensive.

I'm surprised you can't get the cover off. Once you remove all screws fron bottom and back, the cover should lift off. You may have to lift it off at a bit of an angle, or lift it up and forward to get it to come off properly, but it should easily lift off.

If it does not, peer inside to see what is catching it to keep it from coming off. Don't just yank it off. But it is important to get it off to not only check for foreign objects but for any servicing it might need.

I have seen foreign objects, such as caddy plastic pieces that broke off, or kiddie toys pushed inside,or even piece of paper, etc.
beer&bourbon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be picking up a few discs later this week; I'll post here and let people know how it goes.

I also found these videos on youtube this weekend about the making of the discs and players from the early 1980s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pymAoh7KH64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as1AMvZhAhc
beer&bourbon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I picked up 7 movies tonight. I put Alien in for a bit then watched Airplane! On both movies there was a repetitive loop where the picture would get waves then the color would act up for a second then it would go away. It happened on both movies so I presume it's a needle problem - does that sound like what you'd expect for a needle that needs to be replaced? The belts seem to work fine.

There were a couple spots where the movie would repeat a few times before moving on as well; I assume that's a disk issue.

Will using a damaged needle cause any harm to the discs?

The discs will fit into the Ikea Expedit shelves alongside vinyl for those interested. Thanks for all of the help and information so far!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You player sounds like it has a turntable drive belt that's a little stretched or slipping. See here:

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html#improper-turntable-speed

Even though there are several causes, the common one is the belt, and it's the first thing to check out.

You can remove the belt, clean well the motor pulley and the turntable cylinder where the belt grabs. Best cleaner I've found is ammonia or windes with ammonia.

Then let the belt soak overnight in pure ammonia which will cause it to shrink a little. Return it to position and try it out.

Of course, this is speaking from the viewpoint of someone who has done this many times, so I find it easy to do. Or you can get CEDatum in Kentucky to handle it for you.

The disc skipping ought to clear up once you play it a couple of times.
Area Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The discs will fit into the Ikea Expedit shelves alongside vinyl for those interested

Alongside, below, you name it! Laughing

(Apparently IKEA is discontinuing the line so get 'em while you can)
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! We are almost neighbors, as I live in Louisville. You can get plastic cubes from Target for 8.99. One cube will hold about 40-50 titles. I have also purchased a 6 cubed cabinet that holds about 45 CEDs in each cube. I have 5 of those cabinets crammed full of over 1300 titles. Man I need to have a sale!!

SKT-100
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just counted those cabinets! I have a new on in the box I have to put together.
Hey neighbor, I have tons of dupes, since you are just getting started. I'll be happy to send you a few titles. Free (except actual shipping) Shoot me an email for a list. Beetlescott@msn.com put CED in the subject line
SKT-100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: