CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Walk through the Universe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Rendfeld

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: A Walk through the Universe Reply with quote

This afternoon I did an online catalog search (OCLC) to see if any libraries still had a copy of the "Walk through the Universe" disc.

Only one return - The Library of Congress.

Ron in Indy
Ron Rendfeld

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Other CEDs in Libraries Reply with quote

I found 32 other CED titles in the collections of a dozen other Libraries.
University of Illinois has the largest number (9) still listed.

I wonder if UI still has a working player?

Ron in Indianapolis
Ron Rendfeld

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: "A Walk Though the Universe" Reply with quote

I wonder how many copies of "A Walk Though the Universe" were made and how many still exist.
Only The Library of Congress lists a copy in their collection.
Are there any other copies of the disc in libraries or private collections?

Ron in Indianapolis
Ron Rendfeld

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Library Collections Reply with quote

This evening I finished searching OCLC for video discs.
There are 652 titles still cataloged in US libraries.
Some libraries have as many as 8 discs many had only 1 disc.

Still only the Library of Congress lists "A Walk Through the Universe" as part of it's collection.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting- what titles have they kept? I heard as recently as 1995 some mom-n-pop video stores were still renting CEDs. The RCA dealer near me was still renting them in 1987- I think you could rent for $1 or buy for $5. When I started collecting in 1993 they'd long been off the shelves, but I bought what was left of their rental library then.
I just got "A Walk Through The Universe" this weekend Smile
Ron Rendfeld

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: A Walk Through the Universe Reply with quote

WOW!
Where did you find it.
Who sold it to you
What sort of condition is it in?
and what did you have to pay for it????
felix.bunke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ha! I'm a librarian / cataloger myself, and it delights me to see that there are still a bunch of libraries holding CEDs, as well as other old formats! Sure, they may not be popular anymore, & not that many people besides lovable freaks like us Wink play these things anymore, I think it's good to see that some are being retained for archival / historical purposes, if nothing else. I suspect that many, if not most (or even all), of the libraries holding these discs & other "obsolete" formats have them in storage in the basement, or some similar place, meaning you'd have to find the item int he catalog & then ask a librarian to find it for you. I work at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, & I know we have a bunch of Edison cylinders, but, of course, they're fragile & locked away in storage to protect them. I think you'd have to get special permission to borrow them, too.

Which reminds me of a technology I heard about last year that allows the use lasers to read recordings from old, damaged, fragile records without risking damaging them. Perhaps in the future they'll be using technology like this to read CEDs? http://news.com.com/Using+high-energy+physics+to+preserve+old+records/2100-1027_3-5208224.html
felix.bunke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually, it might not technically be a laser, but you get the idea...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: CED collection at UIUC Reply with quote

Hey all:

I might mention that a little over a few years ago, I responded to an ad in the CEDmagic forums about a library collection that they were wanting to unload. It turned out to be the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I can't remember the specific number of discs, but they were really wanting someone to take all of the discs to the tune of $1500. That was quite a bit too much for me to justify at the time. Of course, I think the number of discs was into the hundreds, but I haven't the original number in my mail archives.

I wonder what happened to those discs, and whether or not they had ever gotten rid of them...
planetcadillac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Library Of Congress / CEDs Reply with quote

I think the Library of Congress keeps one of everything that has been issued an ISBN number. So they will have one. I think you can go check it out although I am not sure it would be practical to do so in downtown Washington DC unless you just wanted to look at the cover art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Samson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that many libraries have this title and are unaware of it.
My library still carries filmstrips, but no longer have the projectors.
So am sure that CED disc may be in the same status
PaulC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder how many copies of "A Walk Though the Universe" were made and how many still exist.
Only The Library of Congress lists a copy in their collection.
Are there any other copies of the disc in libraries or private collections?

I picked one up on e-bay several years ago. I doubt I paid much for it as I always limited my single rare ced purchases to 20 bucks or so. I appreciate your mention of the Memories CED in a recent post. Even though a tank of gas only costs thst much I doubt I'll bid. I don't thing I've stuck a disc in a player for a year now.
Ron Rendfeld

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: A Walk Through the Universe Reply with quote

PaulC
Counting your copy, the two other copies owned by others on this list and the one in the Library of Congress. We now have four copies of "A walk Through the Universe" known to still exist.

Who else owns one?

PaulC
You have not played a Disc in over a year?????????
Well! When you really get tired of them give me a call. I'd be happy to give your copy of "A Walk Through the Universe" a very good home Wink.
MWMaverick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: I have 4sale Walk Through The Universe Demonstration Disc Reply with quote

My company was involved in the design and development of this disc in the early 1980s. I unearthed this disc among a box of laservideodiscs I collected (some are new and unopened). I have no CED player so I am willing to part with this disc. I realize this thread has been inactive for years but I thought I would mention my discovery in case someone reading this has an interest.
Thanks.
Xian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: I have 4sale Walk Through The Universe Demonstration Dis Reply with quote

MWMaverick wrote:
My company was involved in the design and development of this disc in the early 1980s. I unearthed this disc among a box of laservideodiscs I collected (some are new and unopened). I have no CED player so I am willing to part with this disc. I realize this thread has been inactive for years but I thought I would mention my discovery in case someone reading this has an interest.
Thanks.

What kind of condition is it in?
What do you need for it?
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find! What were you looking to get for her?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
MWMaverick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
Very nice find! What were you looking to get for her?

To be honest, I haven't any idea what to ask for it. I wouldn't even be selling it if I hadn't found it while looking for something else. It is the only CED disc I still have. It is marked DEMONSTRATION DISC and the number on the spine is 74643-16490 as opposed to the 164900 I find when searching for the title online. Curious. The label on the front of the caddy has perhaps a two inch scratch on it and there are a few scratches on the back of the caddy label and the label at parts of the spine is slightly worn (this was, after all, a demonstration disc).
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it is in ok shape! If you'd like to talk about offers please email me at blind.fury420@yahoo.com

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DANG!!!! A day late and a dollar short!!!!! Ryan if you get it, maybe you could bring it to the workshop and let us drool all over it.
SKT-100
Xian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverick, What's your best offer so far?
Have you decided what you need for it?
MWMaverick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xian wrote:
Maverick, What's your best offer so far?
Have you decided what you need for it?

The truth is, I don't NEED anything for it. As I mentioned to Ryan in an email, I discovered this disc in a box of laserdiscs that I had put away years ago. Ryan asked that I email him and I did.

I don't have any idea what the market will bear for this disc and I am not out to get top dollar in any case (which I gather might be in the neighborhood of $100 for a pristine/unopened disc that was in general release). I recognize that this item has some collectible value to it but I really have no clue what to ask for it. Just for grins, would it be reasonable that someone would be willing to pay $100?
Matt Fisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWMaverick wrote:
Just for grins, would it be reasonable that someone would be willing to pay $100?

If I didn't have a copy, I'd pay that in a New York minute. I might have more money than sense, though...
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still trying to find this title as well im wondering now if there are any libraries in my state that would have the disc... i love astronomy enough to make boring phone calls all day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: