CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie to CED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coffindan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Newbie to CED Reply with quote

Greetings all! I am getting ready to take the CED plunge. I have a line on an SFT 100 which has been serviced and will be in good working order. I guess my question is about connecting it to modern equipment. I am a pretty bare bones guy when it comes to my TV set up. My plan is to connect this player to my Sanyo 32" LCD Flatscreen through the R/F connection. It seems pretty simple but I'm curious as to any advice anyone here can give.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you connect via RF, you'll have to tune into analog channel 3 or 4 as per the output switch setting on back of player. Most modern sets have combo analog/digital/cable tuners. Some sets require you to scan for channels and some allow you to merely add the channel to your list,or input the channel via remote and get it. Modern sets take all analog signals and process them into digital for dispay.

Another thing to watch for is a shaky or intermittent picture. The CED signal is such that some modern sets cannot tune it in without problems. and tend to allow it to dropout. If this is happening, you need to double-check the picture on an analog CRT TV to be sure it isn't in the player.

Some have had good luck tuning the CED player through a VCR and using the VCR AV outputs to the modern TV. Others have gotten video enhancers/scalers that do the job and turn the signal into HDMI.
Coffindan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

I had a VCR hooked up through the R/F connection on this TV and that worked. I just programmed channel 4 with the remote and viola! I feel pretty confident this will work. I replaced the VCR with a DVD/VCR combo. I bought a blu ray player about a year ago so I did some switching around of components. The DVD/VCR combo doesn't have an R/F connection on the back so this will be my one shot going straight into the TV's R/F connection. I guess though if I need to I can run the CED from it's R/F connection through a converter and into the A/V connections on the DVD/VCR.
Coffindan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that SFT 100 is now going to be an SGT 250! Thanks to Beetlescott! Can't wait to get it!
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan,

Good to see you on the forum and again, welcome to the CED community. One of the things everyone enjoys here is hearing how others got into the format. I think there is a thread about it somewhere. As for myself, I've always loved old technology and electronics and while at a thrift store one day a buddy and me ran across a lone disc. Airplane. I had no idea what it was and as soon as I got home I googled it. Found the cedmagic.com website and checked them out on ebay. From there I was hooked. I've bought lots off craigslist and ebay and discs from all over the country. I've even got discs from Canada and a couple PAL discs from England as well as send discs to Finland. It's been a great experience with great people. Glad to have you join us.

Josh
Coffindan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Josh!

As a kid I remember seeing a couple of movies on the CED player they had at the church I grew up in. As a late teen I still remember seeing the player in an A/V closet and also seeing the Back To The Future disc and Poltergeist as well in the closet. I thought it hilarious that someone in the church bought Poltergeist!

A few weeks back I came across some discs at the local Goodwill and asked them if there might be a player floating around but there wasn't. It turned out someone brought in 12 discs. They were cleaning out a relatives attic. I bought the titles which were Fail Safe, The French Lieutenants Woman and The Electric Horseman. That started my search for players and I ended up contacting Beetlescott through Ebay and we worked out a deal outside of Ebay.

I think the nostalgia of it really pulls me in plus I find the technology pretty fascinating. I mean come on it's a record that plays movies! How cool is that?
Coffindan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my SGT250 in from Beetlescott and wow that thing is nice! Plays like a charm and the analog stereo sound is spot on. I popped in Star Wars just to make sure it would play and of course I got some skipping and interference so I just let it run and came back once it was done. Flipped it over and preplayed the other side. Last night I sat down to watch the movie and it played really well with just a couple of minor skips. I've also built up my collection with a few titles as well so I will have plenty to watch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: