CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newest player project...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Newest player project... Reply with quote

Upon request from Kitchensync, here is the latest player project from the workshop, which is a stereo and remote capable SJT 090.

This was built from a non-functioning SJT 090 he sent me, plus a wrecked SJT 300 and a trashed SJT 200 for the donor parts. It's using the 300 remote sensor so that all functions are available by remote. The functions on the SJT 090 front panel are still operating regardless.

This is another of those one of a kind projects, like the stereo Zenith and stereo SFT 100 that both went to good homes. I am planning one more which is to use a broken, rusty and grungy SKT 400 that I got from Guam as the donor for an SJT 100 with bad circuit board and make a stereo 100 out of it. Fortunately the 400 curcuitry is still fine. That one I may keep, don't know yet.

SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rix ur my hero Cool
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. By "workshop" I mean my kitchen countertop, used whenever my wife is visiting her folks. I have to get it cleaned up before she returns!

This one was actually fairly easy to put together as I had already prepared the stereo chassis using the 300 and 200 before the 090 got here. Also a little easier than the SFT/SGT stereo mods because I didn't have to drill holes for the outputs, using the stereo chassis. I was suspicious about the panel functions on the 090 operating properly, but they did.

Now, I have the old 090 chassis which I actually got to work with some fiddling around and parts replacements, but I have no front panel for it. Does anyone have a spare? If you do, I will buy it or I will return this working 090 to you with a nice black finish, for cheap. It will look like my black SKT 400 that I listed here in photos a while back, which you can see in this forum thread:

http://www.cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2081
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Rick! I'm not sure how long it will take to get to having the stylus cleaned/repaired as you told me I need to do as I'm not sure what my January budget looks like yet, might be installing a new OS on one of my computers etc but I've got work to do yet to get it playing.

As for the remote, I have the best of hope that the OFA Cinema 7 will operate it and I have other potential candidates...I have an ocean of remotes sitting about and rarely use anything but the CD file changer and DTV converter's remotes but I need to consolidate them.
CEDvince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex, I love hearing about your hybrid machines!

How did you obtain the schematics for all of the players?
2 - RCA SGT-200
2-RCA SJT-400
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a spare face plate rix but I can rebuild them.

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEDvince wrote:
Rixrex, I love hearing about your hybrid machines!

How did you obtain the schematics for all of the players?

Well, there's a lot of information given on the sheets glued inside the player cases. And then just experience from working in my Dad's repair shop years ago.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps this may be a crude interpretation, but i perceive video disc players like cars, they are all the same basically inside, but are designed to look different outside. once you get past the cosmetics of these players, much like cars, you can see that many of the principals are the same albeit a different facade... kind of like you can take the axle from a buick, the engine from a chevy, the transmission from a pontiac, and put them in an oldsmobile, kind of like how if you have a bad turntable in a sjt 300, you can take one from a skt090 and it will work, or if you have a bad function switch on your sft-100 you can use a switch from a sgt-075. the circuit boards are modular and all do a specific thing for the most part so if you fry the audio board on your sjt-090, and you have a junk sjt-300 you can take the stereo board and put it in the 90 and make it stereo, the less expensive models appear to have less functions, but they are accessible if you use the right parts Smile
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty accurate interpretation, when talking about the same manufacturer of CED players, ie, RCA, Toshiba, Hitachi.

It's quite different from LD players in fact. The major LD player manufacturer was Pioneer, and not only did they go through several redesigns, each redesign also has unique characteristics among and between the various models. Same can be said somewhat for Sony and Panasonic, but to a lesser extent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: