CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CEDs to outlast VHS?-DVD?-Laserdisc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videodiscer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: CEDs to outlast VHS?-DVD?-Laserdisc? Reply with quote

Hello all, I was wondering if CEDs are as long-lasting as their audio brother VINYL. They say vinyl will and has outlasted all other audio formats, like Reel to Reel or even CDs. Will CEDs reep the same fate? Have CDs and DVDs been improved enough to last longer than in the past? Thanks all, Videodiscer P.S.- still no player. I'll have to look farther into getting my broken player fixed. Shipping cost alone makes it a difficult choice to consider. Peace! Very Happy
felix.bunke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've heard said as being a benefit of vinyl records s that, not only is it durable, but it's a more mechanical format, as opposed to digital. So, while with digital formats you need both the proper hardware & software to use them, with something like vinyl, you could rig something up (with the proper knowhow) to play vinyl records if you can't find a ready-made player. Of course, this would be a much more difficult thing to do with digital formats, both in terms of the hardware & the software. Although I'm pretty new to exploring CEDs (Hey, I just have a thing for old formats!), I suspect that this could be said about CEDs, too.
Samson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flea Markets and Ebay show that vintage electronics are collectable.
That is why I think CED will last for many years to come.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still need proper hardware to play vinyl correctly and without risking damage. You have to craft a turntable that can maintain a correct and consistent rotational speed along with a tonearm that allows you to correctly adjust tracking force and antiskating as well as allow for smooth movement.

As for CED, it's far more complicated. You have to make a turntable that can ensure a constant 450 RPM rotation at all times with no fluctuation and no excessive warp in rotation. Plus, the stylus MUST be keel-shaped and have a titanium electrode. Styli cannot be made by hand. Tracking force is also a highly critical factor and must be correct and consistent. Plus, CEDs have some proprietary electronics critical to player operation that cannot be obtained off-the-shelf, such as the DAXI computer.

Players for both needle formats, despite their deceptive simplicity, still require a measure of precision not possible without good technological support in the engineering and manufacturing. They also require some materials and tools that are not easily available to the budding hobbyist to craft players that will work.

As for vinyl outlasting others, vinyl can indeed last theoretically longer than most, with equal chance given to optical discs. Tapes will fail because the binder (the component that bonds the magnetic media to the plastic tape) will fail from age. CED is under the same situation, although there is a vital component to CED that can fail through age: the silicone lubricant application. It is possible, however, to refresh the silicone layer on the disc by spraying silicone on the disc, spreading it throughout, and then conditioning the disc through test plays.

Optical discs, such as Compact Discs and LaserDiscs, can last theoretically forever as long as the reflective substrate is kept sealed from the outside through the lacquer layer. Their playability can be maintained when they are treated just like LPs. The advantage to an optical disc format, however, is that it is non-contact so there is no wearout factor as long as the owner does their part to handle the disc properly. - Reinhart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: