CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digitizing CEDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thepza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Digitizing CEDs Reply with quote

I'm in search of any advice on digitizing CEDs.

When I told a friend about my CED player find, she immediately asked if I could digitize a few CEDs she'd collected--ones that have never been released in digital form.

I searched the forums and didn't find this topic addressed. Have any of you had luck digitizing a CED? I've digitized VHS material before, but the adapter I used for that required the colored plugs, not a coax. And my player, SFT100, just has coax output.

All thoughts on this topic are welcome.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pipe the CED player through you VCR (or other RF to A/V converter) and tune to channel 3 or 4 and use the VCR A/V ouputs.

Or you can buy a CED player with A/V outputs.
Dude111

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleve using the AV jacks would produce better results Smile
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try that, but I expect that there would be little difference when converting RF to A/V with a unit or a VCR.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an SVHS or SuperBeta VCR with the S-video input and output you can try either the coaxial or RCAs to the VCR and then send the playback to the S-video and audio inputs you hopefully have on your computer or recording device anyway.

If you record it first it becomes easier to tweak anything you send through a video processing device or mixer anyhow before final transfer.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and YES, you can just as easily involve a digital video tape recorder (if you have one) but I'm involving formats most could problably have or find. I'm preet sure there aren't a lot of souls out there with old AVID gear although Pro Tools would do.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, the OP had a CED player with only RF output. His options would then be limited to using a converter or a VCR to convert an analog RF output to a A/V format he could record digitally. Or buy a CED player with A/V outputs.

I originally mentioned creating composite format using a VCR or an inexpensive converter. The converted video would in no way be any better than the original RF signal. If he used a signal converted to S-Video, it would still be no better due to the common degradation of image quality when processed or duplicated. An S-Video VCR would merely take the same analog RF original video and break it into two video signals rather than the one combined signal of composite video. The one benefit may be the tweaking of luma and chroma on separate signals, but I doubt the image would be better in general quality than the original RF.

But if he were to invest in a more expensive processing unit, like a DVDO model or Hitachi AVC, he could get the unit to do the digital conversion via HDMI or DVI output, and use the unit as a processor to get an image that was as best as it could be. I had to do this once with a poor quality transfer of Bad Ronald that was faded or washed out in order to enhance the color. I use a DVDO.

The whole procedure would depend upon his setup to record digitally, if it has analog inputs or merely digital.
thepza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the discussion and advice. With the devices I have, I think it'll be easiest to do this through a VCR.
slatton86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been digitizing for years and yes the vcr is your best option. I use high quality formats personally so you don't get those stupid blocks in your film or CED in this case. I also don't do any processing unless the film is just too degraded and I can't find another copy. I like being able to load up a dvd or avi file and actually think I am watching the format it came from.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think a better option is to get a stereo CED player with audio/video outputs, if you have any stereo or dolby prologic CEDs to re-record.
slatton86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but I was just trying to work with what he has. I record Atari games through the vcr like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: