CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was packing my SJT 090 for Rixrex AND...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Was packing my SJT 090 for Rixrex AND... Reply with quote

Realized there's a disc in there that never came out! Short of finding a light caddy how can I ID the disc or if it's even worth playing again and how do I manually insert the caddy and retrieve it?

Thinking back, I THINK it's either a Faerie Tale Theatre or a Joan Sutherland opera title...
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can rotate the gear assembly on it until it brings the disc up into the load position, but you might have to manually take it out from there...
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already slipped around in there. I put it back in place with the HOLE and didn't touch the playing surface...it has a few particles on the playing surface too, one wide line that doesn't look like a scratch from the center to the edge on the PLAYING SURFACE...this is pre-unloading.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belts heat up or something smells like it's warm/burning if I plug it in, which makes it hard to use the reject button...unless I can do it unpowered.

I need to find that caddy...
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spline ought to be in the player too. If you can't find an empty caddy, maybe somebody has one they can send you.

When manually rotating to remove a disc, you MUST make sure one of the platter openings is right above the disc lifting rod! Otherwise the rod will snag and snap off the plasticv rod lifter cam.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd try to let the player assist me but that burning smell isn't very helpful. It's not hard to find the empty caddy I suppose...you have the end open.

I know it's a white caddy at least.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I am just now figuring out.

The disc in that player has to be the contexts of the empty caddy I sent to Josh-The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas...it has to be that the player came with the disc inserted.

I was going through my discs and near the end it dawned on me that there was really no empty caddy in the bunch and that the ONE I did have went to Josh.

I also noted that the white caddy sopy of Silverado I have is not says STEREO but Dolby Surround!

I guess I've been busy this week...I mangaged to find the parts I needed to fix a phonograph I've waiteed seven years to finish and I'mnow getting a parts boombox for my Pioneer SK-71 that hopefully will give me a fresh cassette mechanism Smile

I finally went back to karaoke night last night and sang Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here for my late uncle. It was a great time, finally and when I got home the government was open again.

That ought to keep it happy for a week Rolling Eyes Laughing

HEY JOSH...send it back and I'll see that you get the whole thing.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever that disc title IS, I'm having a hard time getting it done. I get the sleeve in but the caddy slips in and the slleve goes OVER the disc.

What's more, the disc has a saml blob of something on it, not white or from the stylus...

Where IS the cartridge? Rixrex has pictures I just sent. I gather I'm supposed to get the disc to lift and go in with the caddy but that's not what uis getting done so I've missed stuff.

I get the feeling that IF I left the sleeve with the caddy spine lached in it might hold the disc in place through shipping.

I've already gotten the disc coating on my hands.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know how to post pictures other than with a host so I hope Rixrex will do that for me or send them on to who can.

I got some streaks of the disc coating on my hands along the way and wonder if the disc is any good at all now.

I don't know whether I sould ask for a spare empty sleeve or give up and get it out without the caddy, just give up on it and send the player.

A combination of curiousity, stubborness and remorse for the potential destruction...
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me see if I understand this.

You can get the disc to lift, but when you try to slip in the caddy, the disc slides under the caddy and does not go into the caddy, correct? Does the spine (plastic disc holder) also slip under the caddy at the same time? Or does it actually engage and move into the caddy? Is this a correct description of the trouble?

Also, does anyone here have an extra caddy without disc that they could give up? Seems that KS here is missing a spare caddy to hold this disc.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spine goes in, disc goes under.

I'm considering just abandoning the idea of saving the disc at this point. Even if you WERE Best Little Whorehouse In Texas, which I doubt, or the other titles I suspected and the disc did not come back up, I've had the coating on my fingers from moving the disc by the spindle hole area back in place, don't know if I damaged any other part and there is a glob of something actually on the disc (like dirt or someother foreign substance spotting it about 1/3-1/2 the way from the outer edge and there's a chance it would crosscontaminate another diac.

Are there any critical ecological concerns about disposing of an uncaddied CED?
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so what's happening is that the disc is not lifting high enough to be inline with the spine and caddy, and is just a little off.

What you can do is, while you are manually inserting the caddy, you lift the upper receiver spindle out of the way, and then place a finger into the disc hole and lift it slightly upward toward the front just enough to allow the disc to slip into the caddy. Once it is in the caddy a fraction of an inch, it will go in the rest of the way.

Any fingerprints and touching located near the center hole of any disc will not effect playback as the grooves end far before the center. If you have a spot of something located on the grooved part of the disc, you need to see if air pressure will blow it off. If not, a light touch with fingernail to try to get it loose is okay, Even if you have to pop it loose with a toothpick, that should be okay as long as you don't poke into the grooves hard.

I did locate an empty caddy that I will send you if you want it.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...do send and thanks.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Send me your address once more via my regular email.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being slow/late...I got the sleeve a couple days ago. Life is a bit hectic this week. I'll email you shortly.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get the broken right corner of the sleeve to go in. The more I fuas with it the more I suppose I'm just tearing the thing up. When I opened it a piece came off the corner, one fell out of the sleeve and it's split, which may have been how it was sent but I can't get it in vs. the other.

I'm not even sure all the parts are actually there when I look at it either, it doesn't look right, like maybe it was taken apart before it was sold to me and I had no clue. The top part of the spindle clamp lifts all the way back now. I don't see a stylus anyway.

The top brace came up on one side and part of the caddy snapped and the disc was badly scratched by then so I just broke all but the right rear out and the disc too. Not proud of it at all, still it will be gone. Sorry. I couldn't get the door opened to just slip the disc out. A miserable experience.

But it would never play, without a cartridge assembly. NONE. That was the problem all the time and I paid $50 for that. Evil or Very Mad

I'll see if I can find the screws. I got the brace/arm back in okay.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you send it without a stylus, I cannot send it back with one, unless you decide you want to purchase one. You also may be able to buy one from Cedatum or Darryl or Blindfury.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a stereo stylus. I don't know what else I don't have but I sent you a picture a while back and it's packed now.

I don't think there is even the mechanism it's supposed to ride on. It's not in there at all, just a turntable and some overhead stuff. I noted the apparent lack of of parts earlier when I first tried to free the disc. I got discs with the player, probably plenty but the seller told me it worked (the probably last time he used it) but it never did.

All I have other than the 075's is the 250's so I know I need a stylus, and a lot more. I'll email you and I did give you my phone number because I figured I was going to have to talk to you about it at some point.

It is as it came, minus a disc and most of a caddy. Beyond that I only know it needs stuff.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the stylus for any SJT/SKT models are all the same, no special stereo stylus.

It will eventually need a stylus, so if you can't afford to buy one, I can send you a stylus with the player when it is finished that will need rebuilding. You can get that done from CEDatum whenever you have the time and $$.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the shipper it arrived yesterday, so perhaps we can get to the bottom of the mystery (with or without Shaggy and Scooby)... Smile
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
According to the shipper it arrived yesterday, so perhaps we can get to the bottom of the mystery (with or without Shaggy and Scooby)... :)

Yes, it did and here is what I discovered upon a preliminary inspection:

1. The transfer rod pivot was indeed broken, and the rod tension spring had actually forced the broken pivot end past, or below, the lower microswitch, so there would be no way for that switch to be turned off. This is unusual as it typically is pushed off when the pivot breaks loose, as the broken pivot will rest on it, but this time it was forced below the switch.

2. The turntable stem washer had somehow slipped out of position and the turntable stem was resting on the adjustment screw.

3. The typical melted function motor belt goo on the gears.

I suspect once these are taken care of, this player will actually work well. I will submit an update once I know.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 1/2 of that sounds like it was that way when I got it, and I paid $50 for it and the discs that it came with. It would have never worked in the first place.

So, cart or no cart? Where was it if so? It was in rough shape but you make it sound like changing a diaper Smile Wink
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't checked that yet. I will once I get to the other things tomorrow.

It would not have ever played with the broken pivot stem it had. It is not a hard repair, but I have to drill the pivot and make a new pin to fit in place, and reset the pivot, so it takes a little time that's all.

The other two problems can be fixed in a few minutes. I have the gummed up gears soaking in ammonia overnight so they can be cleaned up properly.

Maybe I make it sound easy because of doing so many repairs on these at Dad's old repair shop. That's all one needs for this kind of stuff, experience and good instruction.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stylus was there, may just needs good cleaning or possibly rebuilding. I put in a good one of my own temporarilly.

Player is playing a movie right now. I just emailed you more details about it in an email update.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
kitchensynch wrote:
According to the shipper it arrived yesterday, so perhaps we can get to the bottom of the mystery (with or without Shaggy and Scooby)... Smile

Yes, it did and here is what I discovered upon a preliminary inspection:

1. The transfer rod pivot was indeed broken, and the rod tension spring had actually forced the broken pivot end past, or below, the lower microswitch, so there would be no way for that switch to be turned off. This is unusual as it typically is pushed off when the pivot breaks loose, as the broken pivot will rest on it, but this time it was forced below the switch.

2. The turntable stem washer had somehow slipped out of position and the turntable stem was resting on the adjustment screw.

3. The typical melted function motor belt goo on the gears.

I suspect once these are taken care of, this player will actually work well. I will submit an update once I know.

did the turntable washer end up stuck to the magnet somewhere?
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this one somehow got stuck at an angle inside the shaft. It looked to me like the adjustment nut was not all the way in tight because the washer at an angle stopped it from further travel, so this turntable had a wobble and clunk to to it whenever spinning up. There were other issues as well that kept the disc from reaching proper height to unload and so the disc was left in the player and the player sold in that shape without telling the buyer, kichensync.

But now it runs like a champ. I replaced the turntable as the old one seemed to have gotten slightly wobbly and caused discs to undulate too much. Fixed the other issues and it's good to go.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
Actually this one somehow got stuck at an angle inside the shaft. It looked to me like the adjustment nut was not all the way in tight because the washer at an angle stopped it from further travel, so this turntable had a wobble and clunk to to it whenever spinning up. There were other issues as well that kept the disc from reaching proper height to unload and so the disc was left in the player and the player sold in that shape without telling the buyer, kichensync.

But now it runs like a champ. I replaced the turntable as the old one seemed to have gotten slightly wobbly and caused discs to undulate too much. Fixed the other issues and it's good to go.

nice! Cool
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THOUGHT so...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: