CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CED Label and Caddy Variations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: CED Label and Caddy Variations Reply with quote

I've been meaning to put a list together for quite some time so I figured now is as good a time as any. I just wanted to make a definitive list of all the label and caddy variations that I've encountered and expand on the CED Magic Website list,

http://www.cedmagic.com/home/ced-variations.html

So I would like to start with all the titles that were released in both blue and white caddy's. This would be the titles released at the point in production when the program had been canceled so no more caddy's were being made and what was still left was being used up. The blue stereo caddy's were used up first so when stereo discs where being made on the line and they ran out of blue caddy's they switched to white. This is a list of the stereo discs released in both blue and white caddy's.

Ghostbusters (Tom Howe)

Gremlins (Terry Collins)

Return of the Jedi (Tom Howe)

White Christmas (Terry Collins)

Perfect (Josh Gibson)

Beverly Hills Cop (Josh Gibson)

Rustlers Rhapsody (Scott Thornton)

Ladyhawke (Josh Gibson)

Brewsters Millions (Josh Gibson)

Pale Rider (Tony Fleetwood)

Amadeus (Scott Thornton)

Emerald Forest (Tony Fleetwood)

The Adventures of Robin Hood (CBS/FOX) (Josh Gibson)

Gone With The Wind (Josh Gibson)

The Killing Fields (Josh Gibson)

North to Alaska (Scott Thornton)

Lastly I discovered a couple of titles that appeared to have been in different color caddies but upon closer inspection it would appear that the rental company who owned these had removed the labels, probably from a damaged caddy, and pasted them onto a good caddy of the wrong color. First Blood, and More Candid Candid Camera are the two titles.

Next I would like to list the discs that had label changes later on in production, most of the time an error was printed and then caught and either corrected before release, with a sticker, or new labels where printed up for titles that had already hit the shelves.

Max Dugan Returns (Josh Gibson) - Had the word "Stereo" printed on the bottom right corner, was corrected by covering with a sticker.

Also Discovered Doctor Dolittle has the same sticker, most likely coving the word Stereo as well.

Yoga Moves With Alan Finger (Josh Gibson) -Had a typo on the time listed on the right side of the back label, a sticker was printed up with the correct information and placed over the typo.

Jane Fonda's Workout (Jesse Skeen) -The Nipper logo on the top right of the cover was removed and the new RCA Videodisc logo replaced the old. This probably occurred towards the end of production on a later run of the title.

Muppet Movie, The (Jesse Skeen) -A Dolby Digital logo was printed on the back label, copied from the VHS or other format artwork. It was replaced on later printings with the phrase "Mono sound track for VideoDisc."

Saturday Night Fever (Jesse Skeen) -A Dolby Digital logo was printed on the back label, copied from the VHS or other format artwork. It was replaced on later printings with the phrase "Mono sound track for VideoDisc."

Space Hunter Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (Scott Thornton) -One version has a red border and the other does not.

The Big Red One (Scott Thornton) -This variation consists of a typo on the spine title. The first version says "The Rig Red One" using a R where there should be a B. The second version has the title corrected.

The Spine Misspelled

There were also several titles that had changes on the discs rather than on the labels or caddys. This would have been due to different production runs during different times causing a beginning fanfare or other item to change.

Looking for Mr. Goodbar (Jesse Skeen) -The earlier version will have the 1981 RCA fanfare and a later production run version will have the 1982 RCA fanfare. The caddy's and labels look identical and the only way to know which is which is to play them, as far as I'm aware.

The 1981 Fanfare

The 1982 Fanfare

The Entity (Jesse Skeen) -One version will have the blue and white CBS/FOX fanfare at the beginning and another version will have the grey CBS/FOX fanfare at the beginning.

The Blue and White Fanfare

The Grey Fanfare (Jesse, as of 9/16/2013 I don't have the grey fanfare version of Entity. I don't think this is the right fanfare in this photo, it is from Commando, please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks)

Misc Variations

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Tom Howe) -A version was found with a mismatched front and rear label, chances are this was a line error during production and they were destroyed but one or two may have snuck out with an employee.

Cincinnati Kid, The (Tom Howe) -One version has a red CX Stereo logo on the bottom right of the front cover and the other version has nothing there.

For Your Eyes Only[UA] (Joseph Kearse) -One version will have a Stereo logo in white on the lower bottom corner of the front cover and the other version will have a red CX Stereo logo instead.

Victor Victoria (Jesse Skeen) -One version will have a Stereo logo in white on the lower bottom corner of the front cover and the other version will have a red CX Stereo logo instead.

Secret of NIMH, The (Tom Howe/Josh Gibson) -Tom discovered that there are two variations of this disc, one with a time of 26:19 on side two and the other with a time of 40:27 on side two. I managed to obtain both copies and noticed that one has the word Stereo on the bottom right corner of the front cover and the other has a CX logoin front of it with a slight variation on the word stereo. The version with the longer side 2 of 40:27 was the earlier release and just has the word stereo on the bottom right of the front cover while the version that has a side 2 of 26:19 was the later release with CX encoding and for some reason they felt the need to cut about 15 minues of the movie on side 2.

Forbidden Planet (Joseph Kearse) -One version will say MGM/CBS, (most common), on the upper outline bar on the front cover and the other will say MGM/UA. The CBS version will also have the MGM lion head logo on the upper right side and the MGM/UA version will have a MGM/UA lion head logo.

Wizard of Oz (Joseph Kearse) -One version will say MGM/CBS, (most common), on the upper outline bar on the front cover and the other will say MGM/UA. The CBS version will also have the MGM lion head logo on the upper right side and the MGM/UA version will have a MGM/UA lion head logo.

Paul McCartney & Wings Rockshow (Terry Collins) -There was two different covers of this title made, one cover was color and the other was slightly different and in black and white. The black and white cover was made for the "See The Music, Stereo Music Six Pack"

CBS/FOX had 2 different cover variations for a few of their movies. Some with a 20th Century Fox logo bar across the top and a variation with the logo bar removed and just a CBS/FOX logo on the top right corner of the cover. Here are the titles that have been found so far with both variations.

Alien (Tom Howe)

Porky's (Jesse Skeen)

Star Wars (Jesse Skeen)

Young Frankenstein (Jesse Skeen)

9 to 5 (Josh Gibson)

Lastly, I would like to list any other variations that may have been missed.

Rio Lobo (Unknown) -There are two versions of Rio Lobo although the CED Magic database only credits one version, the MGM/CBS version with UPC number 74643747820. But there is also a CBS/FOX release with UPC number 24543701690.

Fort Apache The Bronx (Unknown) -Vestron title that has the rainbow border, a version was also released without this border.

I have also noticed a couple of titles that have color variations on the artwork. I'm not sure if this was planed or if they used the wrong color ink in the printer or something but whatever the case here are the ones I have found so far.

Tender Mercies (Josh Gibson) -One cover appears to be tan and the other a burnt orange. This is not due to fading.

Magnum Force (Josh Gibson) -One appears to be a purple color, while the other is orange. I suspect the purple one is the earlier release due to it being more common and having the cutaway while the orange one has no cutaway.

One disc that I have is not necessarily a variation. It is a sample caddy and label that was created I presume in the early days of the format. It appears the label was printed as normal and then the corner was sliced off and this sticker was applied. It also contains a sticker on the finger grip indicating that it is a sample. I am not sure as to what this would have been used for. It is very similar to the Laura Prototype caddy as listed on the CED Magic page, http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/laura/laura.html.

I think that about wraps it up. I would like to eventually add a list and photograph of each disc that was stereo but released in a white caddy. Please let me know if I missed anything or made any errors. Thanks and I hope this helps.

Josh Gibson

Last edited by ketonic_dude on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice josh! love it!
i have max dugan returns, and i guess the sticker fell off, because mins says stereo, but i put it in my 250 just now and it sure is mono!

i have a lot of these label variations im so stoked!

also i just found out i had the label variation on the muppets in my sell pile!

Last edited by SelectaVision420 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Rio Bravo, there is another disc set that you can add:
Rio Bravo under the RCA Videodiscs (Warner Home Video) logo.

This is the photo of the 2 discs:

This is the front of disc 1:

This is the back of disc 1:

The UPC code is 0764760315510:

GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice research effort. Good to see the old RCA Victor mirror in a nice place rather than stored in my garage.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the add Dumbchemist, I do recall seeing that one once before but I never thought anything of it at the time. I wonder why it's 2 discs and both the other versions are only 1 disc. I will have to try and find a copy of that now. I will be sure to add it to the list and give you credit for it.

Thanks again Rix, it cleaned up quite nice and I think it looks great. Probably the nicest thing in the room.

Tony, I recall coming across another CBS/FOX title once before that also had the sticker over the word Stereo but I can't remember what it is now. Next time I come across it I will have to add it to the list.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry josh, forgot to mention, i have Dr. No cbs/fox and united artists does that count? they are both mono

also war games, and mash and tora tora tora.

Last edited by SelectaVision420 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude wrote:
Thanks for the add Dumbchemist, I do recall seeing that one once before but I never thought anything of it at the time. I wonder why it's 2 discs and both the other versions are only 1 disc. I will have to try and find a copy of that now. I will be sure to add it to the list and give you credit for it.

Thanks again Rix, it cleaned up quite nice and I think it looks great. Probably the nicest thing in the room.

Tony, I recall coming across another CBS/FOX title once before that also had the sticker over the word Stereo but I can't remember what it is now. Next time I come across it I will have to add it to the list.

oh boy i cant wait to hear what it is!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found some more goodies in my sell pile due to this list.
from this list i have

both ghost busters
both gremlins
both return of jedi
blue beverly hills cop
blue emerald forest
the color wings
the rca videodiscs jane fonda
both muppet movies
both sat nite fevers
the 81 fanfare mr goodbar
cincinatti kid with stereo logo
4 ur eyes only white logo
victor/ victoria white logo
forbidden planet mgm/ua
rio lobo mgm/cbs
both young frankensteins
both aliens
both wargames
porkys with no fox bar

i thought i had the entity but i guess i dont...
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude

I just realized that we are talking about 2 different movies: you show Rio Lobo on your post and I show Rio Bravo on my post. Oops! I checked and my copy of Rio Bravo is not listed in the US CED Title Database based on UPC code.

For What it's Worth:
In regards to my 2 disc copy of Rio Bravo, the listed runtimes are 1 hr 35 minutes for disc 1 and 46 minutes for disc 2. (Disc 2 has the movie recorded on only one side). Adding the 2 runtimes, you get 2 hours and 21 minutes.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist, I guess I didn't look too close at your pics, that is most certainly Rio Bravo and not a variation of Rio Lobo. As far at it not being on the CED Magic database I just checked and it is with the same UPC as the disc in your photo. I just checked my copy as well and it is the same UPC as both the CED Magic database and the disc in your photo.

Tony, What do you mean when you say you have the United Artist version of Dr. No? I have the CBS/FOX version which also says United Artists on it and I have the RCA version which also says United Artists on it. These are both listed on the CED Magic Database. You also list War Games, Mash, and Tora! Tora! Tora! but these are not variations, they are separate releases from different studios. Such as MGM, CBS/FOX, RCA, etc., and they are listed on the CED Magic Database. In order for them to be considered a variation they have to be different versions released by the same studio, or a change in the artwork, caddy, or disc content. The only variation to this rule is the Rio Lobo disc which I only listed because it's not on the CED Magic Database. I have also heard of a variation on the Fort Apache, The Bronx disc where there is no colored boarder but I have yet to confirm that one so I did not include it. I do recall hearing about one other variation but I don't recall what movie it was on. There are a dozen or so titles what were released from different studios and are listed on the CED Magic Database such as, Dark Victory, Fantastic Voyage, The Misfits, etc. I am making sure to get copies of each to complete my collection.

Well, I hope that clears up some confusion.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude wrote:
dumbchemist, I guess I didn't look too close at your pics, that is most certainly Rio Bravo and not a variation of Rio Lobo. As far at it not being on the CED Magic database I just checked and it is with the same UPC as the disc in your photo. I just checked my copy as well and it is the same UPC as both the CED Magic database and the disc in your photo.

Tony, What do you mean when you say you have the United Artist version of Dr. No? I have the CBS/FOX version which also says United Artists on it and I have the RCA version which also says United Artists on it. These are both listed on the CED Magic Database. You also list War Games, Mash, and Tora! Tora! Tora! but these are not variations, they are separate releases from different studios. Such as MGM, CBS/FOX, RCA, etc., and they are listed on the CED Magic Database. In order for them to be considered a variation they have to be different versions released by the same studio, or a change in the artwork, caddy, or disc content. The only variation to this rule is the Rio Lobo disc which I only listed because it's not on the CED Magic Database. I have also heard of a variation on the Fort Apache, The Bronx disc where there is no colored boarder but I have yet to confirm that one so I did not include it. I do recall hearing about one other variation but I don't recall what movie it was on. There are a dozen or so titles what were released from different studios and are listed on the CED Magic Database such as, Dark Victory, Fantastic Voyage, The Misfits, etc. I am making sure to get copies of each to complete my collection.

Well, I hope that clears up some confusion.

ooops! i thought we were including titles with different art work releases...
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to admit that one of those Pauls may be the imposter that replaced him when he was 'dead'...the black and white/silver rendition doesn't look much like the Paul pictured in color.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we adding amadeus to this list now?
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amadeus? That would be fairly late into production, wouldn't it?

1983 or '84, maybe? Just going from my high school memories, not looking it up necessarily...wasn't Ben Kingsley Salieri and fresh off of his role in Gandhi?

Hope I'm not winging it...do tell if you have some proof, would love to see as I have no idea anyway Smile
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i was just thinking, didnt "tender mercies" come out in a yellow label and an orange label? does that meet the criteria? they look the same other than the background color... just thought about it when i was looking for another disc...
mxpxpunkrock1987

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude tony said you might have some ceds i'm looking for looking for superman 3 both disc and tom and jerry vol 2 beverly hills cop if u can my email is frankyiq at yah oo
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Dugan Returns is one of my favorite 80s movies! I thought the sticker on the bottom was placed there by a rental company and the writing had faded off.
SKT-100
stdjsb25

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a good number of MGM/CBS titles that were probably reissued as either MGM/UA titles (for MGM films), or CBS/FOX (for non-MGM films) between 1983-85.

In the case of For Your Eyes Only it was released twice on CED, first under the MGM/UA label (the only James Bond film to be released on CED under that label) and later under CBS/FOX.

There are a couple that were released initially as RCA, but later reissued under CBS/FOX or 20th Century Fox Video. Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Diamonds are Forever, You Only Live Twice, Man with the Golden Gun are known to exist in this manner.

Goldfinger, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Live and Let Die, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, and Moonraker were only released by RCA.

Octopussy and A View to a Kill were only released under CBS/FOX.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there are quite a few titles that were released multiple times under different labels.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sayonara is another CBS/Fox title with a fanfare variation- this one has the fanfare after the END of the movie- while checking my duplicates I thought I ought to check the end as well as the beginning for variations, and that was how I found out about this one. Most Fox titles end with just the red FBI warning which had 2 different styles during CED's production, but I've never seen that differ on 2 copies of the same title. (Notice that it originally said "video tapes" but some have an obvious overlay over it saying "video discs".)
Husker Du

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One variation I have come across that I have not seen anyone mention is for Game of Death. It’s like the 9 to 5 variation. I no longer have them, but I did at one point have both.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One with the 20th Century Fox bar across the top, and one without? I never noticed that one, don't even remember which one I have! New one to look out for now!

One thing I remember about the VHS and Beta releases of that is it was part of a series of Bruce Lee movies, and if you lined the tape cover spines up it made up the dragon picture that's on the front. I think that was the first time that was done with a set of tapes.
krbsforty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure if this qualifies, but it is about an old "Featured CED" article from 2004. It is about a movie from World War II called "Laura." In one of the paragraphs, Tom Howe mentions that there is a difference between the early prototype caddy of this movie & the official production caddy, besides the RCA logos. I recently purchased a "Laura" CED & tried to find the difference, but I can not find it. Does any one know what it is?
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a while since I have comment on this thread and there are a few things I have found and have been shown that need updating. First of the copy of Laura that Tom was referring to is shown here,

http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/laura/laura.html

and it was just a prototype, not an official release.

I will have to look for the FOX bar variation of Game of Death, and the fanfare variation of Sayonara. What exactly is the difference in the variations on that one Jesse?

Also Jesse, you had mentioned on facebook about there being a variation of Tarzan with an audible tone.

"Only RCA title I've noticed 2 versions of with no change in the labeling was "Looking For Mr. Goodbar"- I have one with the original Tomita RCA opening, and another with the later Robert Abel opening and the movie transfer looks different on that one as well. I've also got 2 copies of MGM's "Tarzan The Ape Man" where side 1 of one copy has an audible tone in the background while the other sounds clean." -Jesse Skeen

I will have to check my copies now and see what I can hear.

Additionally Pam N Indy, our newest, RCA employee, member mentioned about how to read the number stamped on the disc.

"FYI...If you don't already know..... open the caddy and look on the inner circle, no grooves, you will see some numbers....example...Urban Cowboy...00639-1A... the first number is assigned to movie, the 1 is side 1, and letter tells you what substrate it was or how many times they had to make a new substrate. All the way through the alphabet. A few times we would use up the alphabet and start over...1AB, ect." -Pam N Indy

Now when we find a variation and can tell at what substrate it began at and know which was an earlier release and which was later, or at what point it began to appear in a white caddy, etc. Which I found quite interesting.

But since I created or last updated this thread some of the other label and caddy variant that have been discovered are,

Gone With The Wind (Blue and White Caddies) -Josh Gibson
North to Alaska (Blue and White Caddies) -Scott Thornton
The Killing Fields (Blue and White Caddies) -Josh Gibson
Spacehunter Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (One has a red border on the cover and one does not) -Scott Thornton
The Big Red One (some have a typo on the spine that says "The Rig Red One") -Scott Thornton

Some of these I am still tracking down. I will update the thread with photos of these shortly. Please let me know if anyone find's anything else.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! good work detective!
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony. I do my best to help the cause. Still trying to locate a copy of Game of Death without a FOX bar, but haven't seen one yet.
Husker Du

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found another variation and this one is also a Bruce Lee CED. It’s Enter the Dragon and it does not have a cutout at the bottom, most of them do. I came across this picture when I was trying to find a picture of the Game of Death CED I was talking about earlier. Here is a link to the picture. I don’t know how to upload pictures.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bruce+lee+ced&biw=1280&bih=930&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI7oLZy_DfxgIVhck-Ch2oxQL1#tbm=isch&q=enter+the+dragon+ced&imgrc=RmvfGjxqQp7mhM%3A
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Husker Du. There are actually dozens if not hundreds of titles that were released both with and without a cutaway. I don't list them on here just because they are so common. The thing with the cutaway vs. no cutaway is when RCA came out with it's auto loading players they realized the discs could be handled from the sides rather than the bottom so they did away with the cutaway. There was so many discs being produced I am sure some work crews just put cutaways on everything well others didn't and so on. I think most of the titles with the cutaway are usually earlier. Some other titles that can be found with both, Friday the 13th, Superman, Goldfinger, and I could go on and on. It's up to the user which one is preferred. I actually prefer the no cutaway versions just because I think they look nicer. But to each his own.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude wrote:
Thanks Tony. I do my best to help the cause. Still trying to locate a copy of Game of Death without a FOX bar, but haven't seen one yet.

whats the matter with me? i dont even have game of death, i coulda swore i did...
ace2184

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool info and good job on the research. Gives me something to look for when I'm going through my movies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: