CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Perfect discs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
61cubby

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Perfect discs? Reply with quote

I was fortunate to pick up a group of discs from a local guy here in the Twin Cities last week for $10.

Purple Rain (stereo)
The Blues Brothers (stereo)
Gremlins (stereo)
The Cincinnati Kid (stereo)
North By Northwest
Aliens (stereo)
Carol King One on One (stereo)
Once upon a time in America

Discs all in great shape with minimal or NO skipping..watching Purple Rain now and only 3 minutes left...not so much as a flutter..I AM SO EXCITED!

Doesn't take much huh?!...

Aliens was skip free as well. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, these CEDs will play super for ages if you treat them right and you pre-play discs that have sat a long time or might bave been in a dusty place. Those people who state that the discs are always prone to skipping know nothing about the format, and their agenda is usually to promote a different media format.

I've learned that pre-play is essential to discs that have been sitting. I recently got a copy of Zombie for a low price because the seller thought it was not good. First play showed regular video dropouts every 10-30 seconds. The kind of drop-out where the screen goes a wavy rainbow effect, like the aurora borealis. It took 10 pre-plays to clear it all up, and now it's perfectly fine. It was just a matter of clearing the silicon coating that had settled into the groove.

I knew it wasn't the dreaded groove compression from improper stacking because that only shows up after several minutes into the disc, not at the very start of the disc, since the edges don't typically get compressed.

My opinion is that, if you can keep your player up to par, you can watch CEDs for many, many years to come, while other formats may become problematic. Something like picking up an old Victrola from the 1920s and some 78s and playing them now. They still will work.
L8gr8harry

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See it's info like this that makes a newbies life so much easier, you can read all kinds of guides but info from the people in the know that make collecting fun. I would never know what players to look at or how to care for my stuff if it wasn't for others.
The RJ Special
-Zenith VP 2000 (SGT 200)
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SJT 090 set up just for pre-play of discs before watching them. Since it's a low option player, it's great for that purpose.
61cubby

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: perfect disc Reply with quote

I have thought about picking up one for that as well so I can keep the 400's for actual viewing. The g's have a different stylus as well...correct?
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
I have an SJT 090 set up just for pre-play of discs before watching them. Since it's a low option player, it's great for that purpose.

thats why im glad i have one Laughing
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: perfect disc Reply with quote

61cubby wrote:
I have thought about picking up one for that as well so I can keep the 400's for actual viewing. The g's have a different stylus as well...correct?
\

The SFT/SGT models use the larger cartridge stylus. They will work too, but I find the SJT/SKT model stylus seems to do a better job of this.

The 090 is same as 400. Another good model for pre-playing is the SJT 100. In fact any cheaper, working SJT model is good for this.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: perfect disc Reply with quote

61cubby wrote:

yes f/g chassis and j/k chassis have different stylus' Wink
L8gr8harry

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK why are the SJT models good for pre-play?? I have a nice SFT-100 in great shape and a SGT-75 on the way from Rix, what makes one any better for solving pre-play issues? Really curious now, there is a nice sgt-250 on eBay for $18.50 +shipping that I have in my watched list as well as a Zenith vp2000. Other members have mentioned possibly having players for sale and now I am wondering what the next step is??

Thanks
Harry
The RJ Special
-Zenith VP 2000 (SGT 200)
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the SJT/SKT models are an advancement from the SFT/SGT models. You might call them the 2cnd generation of RCA CED players.

As an advancement, certain things are better about them. Besides the sleek and stylish look, and the auto-loading feature (well, semi-automatic anyway), there are advancements in circuitry and the stylus is dewsigned to be more stable and responsive.

I personally find the picture on the SJT/SKT 400s to be slightly but noticably better than earlier models, with possible exception of the 300 series. I also find the stylus to be apt to knock away dust and re-form the groove, when the silicon builds up, more ably than the older stylus.

That's not to say the older ones can't, after all it's only a difference of a year or two in prooduction, it's just a matter of what I notice personally with the newer style players, and maybe just a matter of personal preference.

The same issue crops up with LD players in which some LD fans have some sort of idea that all older Pioneer Elite modells are better than the newer DVL series (which is a combo LD/DVD player), and berate the DVLs as minor models that have been revamped, when in fact the technology advancements from 1990 through 2000 and beyond make the DVL players superb quality LD players that can rival most any other.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 61cubby, I think I contacted you once before but I just thought I would mention it again since you live so close to me. I'm down in Mankato and have over 400 extra discs if your ever in the area and want to check them out just let me know. If you want to email me I can send you my number. ketonic_dude@hotmail.com
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Perfect discs? Reply with quote

61cubby wrote:
I was fortunate to pick up a group of discs from a local guy here in the Twin Cities last week for $10.

Purple Rain (stereo)
The Blues Brothers (stereo)
Gremlins (stereo)
The Cincinnati Kid (stereo)
North By Northwest
Aliens (stereo)
Carol King One on One (stereo)
Once upon a time in America

Discs all in great shape with minimal or NO skipping..watching Purple Rain now and only 3 minutes left...not so much as a flutter..I AM SO EXCITED!

Doesn't take much huh?!...

Aliens was skip free as well. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I know EXACTLY what you mean!!! I watched Rolling Thunder (twice, once by myself & the next day with my wife) Dirty Harry, the Guanlet, and a Best of Baseball CED I can't remember the name, and it was like you said, rare skips, and when there were, you could back it up and it would clear it up! I LOVE IT! My wife bragged on the clarity of Dirty Harry, I was on cloud nine!!!!!!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude wrote:
Hey 61cubby, I think I contacted you once before but I just thought I would mention it again since you live so close to me. I'm down in Mankato and have over 400 extra discs if your ever in the area and want to check them out just let me know. If you want to email me I can send you my number. ketonic_dude@hotmail.com

Ketonic is great to deal with! I got some good discs from him at the workshop!! (you can pay me later Josh) Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: