CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SGT-250 stuck on -- Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: SGT-250 stuck on -- Help! Reply with quote

I bought an SGT-250 that needed a stylus. I popped the stylus in, (actually tried 2 different ones) but the player just sits at the 2 dashes (--) It won't take off. Can anyone give me any ideas? Thanks!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey buddy i found this, maybe it will help?

Player Category: F/G Chassis Fault: Defective 15 Volt Regulator
Symptom(s):
Loading indicator "L" flashes slower than normal and the display indicator may stay in "--" mode permanently after a disc is loaded and the player attempts to initiate play. Pickup arm may suddenly run forward without any buttons being pushed.
Solution(s):
This indicates a weak 15 Volt regulator inside the player. The regulator is designated U3801 and is a 3-pin integrated circuit attached to a large heat sink at the corner of the PW3000 circuit board just behind the ventilation duct on the back of the player. The voltage between the center ground pin and the right V_out pin should measure 15V +/- 0.6V. If less, replace the regulator with industry standard equivalents LM7815CT, NTE968, ECG968, or SK3593.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a possibility, and another you want to check out, which is more common, is the stylus set down adjustment, seen here:

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html#improper-stylus-set-down-adjustment

I find this a problem in many players left to sit a long time. There's an easy test described in the "symptom" notes on how to determine if this is it. You just have tobe sure you have a good stylus in the player when doing the test.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when I had brought mine in and it had the two dashed John said that was a trouble indicator. Mine would play but only in black and white and with no sound. Did you check to make sure neither of the belts are slipping. I know the belt in the back can wiggle it's way off and then your arm won't load into the play position. Other than that you could ask Ryan, maybe he's experienced that before. Best of luck with it.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had players display the double dashes, and be playing with poor video/audio and in B&W, or slipping between B&W and color. When this happens, I remove the belt and leave it in pure ammonia overnight, as that will shrink it slightly and takes off any oils.

Then I clean the turtable belt shelf, where the belt grips, in order to get off any grime or oil that may have collected there. Before returning the belt, I check the motor adjustment screw closest to the left corner for snugness. Sometimes this screw is a tiny bit loose.

Then the belt gets dried well and goes back on. I've had very good success doing this for players that exhibit slipping belt symptoms.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Josh, & Rick, I tried to adjust the stylus, either that didn't work, or I didn't adjust it far enough. I also tried putting a disc in, and tuning the power off, sliding the stylus are up and turning the power on, and I still got the --
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have been monkeeing around with my player, and I popped a disc in, and still had the "--" and I was checking the belt in the back, I can't think of the name, it has been a long day, the belt in the back that advances the stylus arm, I rolled the gear to advance the arm, and then, all of a sudden, the -- turned into 36!!! I didn't have it hooked to a monitor, I was just trying to see if I could get the "0" on there. When the numbe was on ehreh the rapid access started working! It would advance the disc or take it back, the stereo light indicator flashed too. When I stopped advancing it, unfortunately it just stops there. I am thinking like Josh said, the belt is slipping badly. At least that is what I think.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belt will neither advance nor reverse if there's no minute number displaying. In other words, the stylus isn't reading the disc because either the stylus is in poor shape or the turntable drive belt is not at proper speed and/or is slipping.

Exact same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago, and I checked the stylus as being okay with another player, so the culprit was the turntable drive belt slipping. A clean up as I stated above solved the problem. At the same time, I cleaned up the advancing belt too.

One last item that can cause such trouble, but is unusual, is if the stylus is askew or is not perfectly perpendicular to the platter. This can be checked by letting the stylus tip hang loose on the "fly-lead" wire and see if it droops to the left or to the right. If not, it's okay. If it does, then a slight turn of the pivoting rivet holding the fly-wire will straighen it out. But if you don;t know what I'm talking about, best don't try it.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But when I manually roll the stylus arm towards the middle of the disc, each time I have done it, (about 5 different times) the double lines (--) turns to the number 36. Now I didn't have the player hooked up to a monitor at the time, I will try that today, but, like I said, when the number pops on, the stereo light comes on, and the buttons work on the player, fast forward, reverse, random access. Before I tried this, I could hear the little motor whirring, but the belt wasn't moving, so wouldn't it be best to change the belt first? Also, when the number 36 came up, random access would take the stylus arm all the way back to 01 (but not to 0). The stylus is a good one, no problem there.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the right way to go, try taking care of the advancing belt first, before the turntable drive belt, however you should first take a look at the landing latch adjustment here:

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html#landing-latch-misalignment

Then if you move on to the advancing belt, first use the CEDatum method of belt shrinking before just putting on a new belt. You can see their tips on thet here:

http://cedatum.com/15322.html

It actually works pretty well, but you need to clean the belt pulleys well with some alcohol before returniong the belt to position.

Then after those two fixes, if it still won't work properly, you go to cleaning the drive motor belt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: