CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest CED player project…
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Latest CED player project… Reply with quote

Some may remember a project last year where I took an SKT 400 that was completely wrecked in shipping and frankensteined it back together and painted it black to match all the other components in our “home theater”. Here’s the latest one just completed, photos included.

The New Zenith Stereo CED videodisc player, which might have been advertised like this:

Enjoy true stereo sound from your new Zenith videodisc player, through your modern Zenith stereo receiver. The newest revolution in home entertainment has a high quality video output to connect to your new 25 inch Zenith color console, the largest television screen ever. See the new Zenith home entertainment systems at your local Zenith dealer, and get a free stereo videodisc movie with each purchase of the new stereo Zenith CED videodisc player.

Well , it never happened that way, but here we have what such a player might have been. This player has true stereo sound, not a doubled mono output, and uses the stereo CED stylus. This player was a mess and totally non-working before and now, with lots of new parts and a good go-through, it is working as if new.

So how was it done? See if you can tell me. Fury and Harry, since you know already, don’t give it away.

(Also you can catch a glimpse of our vintage fridge in our 1968 built and vintage style & furnished home. We also have an avacodo fridge.)

Last edited by Rixrex on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i guessed right! i knew you'd do that and i'm so jealous now!

isn't there places on the circuit board that are test points that you can tap into? i heard that there aren't mono and stereo stylus's its just having the right circuitry, i was just telling my g/f i wanted this one because it was based on the f/g chassis but looked way more retro! those rca jacks look period correct, what did they come offa?
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also i was wondering, will there be an instructional on this or is it a secret? i still would like one of these players in the future!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about tapping into video and audio signals, as does Fury when he does the AV conversions. If you do that you can get video and mono audio. Stereo has to be done a different way. The stereo signal is not created in the same way as on a record, where there are two distinct, physically separate signals, each picked up separately. The audio carrier on a CED is basically the same bandwidth signal carried to the stylus whether stereo of mono, and the creation of stereo or dual track audio lies in the decoding of it, which is why we can have 5.1 Dolby surround on CEDs.

There are two different stylus carts for the sft/sgt series. The 149000 cart is the original. and the 154100 is the advancement on it. It really isn't a specific stereo stylus but is the one designed to be used in the stereo players, sgt 200 and sgt 250, along with certain other players with the newer pickup assembly.

The 149000 can be used in the new assembly but you will get aome hiss. I've tried 154100 on the older assembly without much luck. So within the message here are some clues, and some red herrings too.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
also i was wondering, will there be an instructional on this or is it a secret? i still would like one of these players in the future!

Gotta have a Zenith to start with, or an SFT/SGT 100 can be used.

Although I only wanted to do the Zenith one time, there's always a possibility of another project that can be just as unique.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one love it!! Effin great job! When you are ready to tell everyone, you should make a small pictorial tutorial and add small descriptions and see if Tom will add it to his modification section!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
You are right about tapping into video and audio signals, as does Fury when he does the AV conversions. If you do that you can get video and mono audio. Stereo has to be done a different way. The stereo signal is not created in the same way as on a record, where there are two distinct, physically separate signals, each picked up separately. The audio carrier on a CED is basically the same bandwidth signal carried to the stylus whether stereo of mono, and the creation of stereo or dual track audio lies in the decoding of it, which is why we can have 5.1 Dolby surround on CEDs.

There are two different stylus carts for the sft/sgt series. The 149000 cart is the original. and the 154100 is the advancement on it. It really isn't a specific stereo stylus but is the one designed to be used in the stereo players, sgt 200 and sgt 250, along with certain other players with the newer pickup assembly.

The 149000 can be used in the new assembly but you will get aome hiss. I've tried 154100 on the older assembly without much luck. So within the message here are some clues, and some red herrings too.

so cool! if i ever pick up a zenith, id love to give this a try!
i was reading that the older model stylus' dont have the rubber buffer like the new ones, and that they were partially interchangeable... also i heard there were some visual search issues with the opposite stylus?

Also i was wondering, is that just a mark between the audio and video plug? its hard to see what it is, it looks like a small slider switch?
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Barry Manilow's First TV Special has been waiting...get the party started!
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice conversion on the VP2000, and it makes up for Zenith's complete lack of marketing for their practically nonexistent VP4000 stereo player. Apparently Zenith was contractually obligated to produce a stereo player, so the company partnered with Toshiba to manufacture a small number of these players. The VP4000 is a clone of the Toshiba VP500, with the LED display moved over to the right side of the player front.

Zenith VP4000 CED Player Front

Zenith VP4000 CED Player Back

--Tom Howe
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that VP 4000 clone of the Toshiba. In general, I find the Toshiba a really sturdy player, with exception of the goofy drive belt situation. The Wards players I put the belt conversion on work great. Some of my LD collector pals make fun of the RCA CED players because of all the plastic parts, lower tolerances, and such, comparing them to LD players, but when I show them the internals of the Wards, they quiet down.

So now, I guess I'll tell you how it was done. I got an SGT 200 shipped here that came in as a total disaster. Almost everything plastic on it was destroyed, case, internal parts, etc. So I had the Zenith that was toast but with lots of good mechanical parts. Taking about 2/3rds of the 200 along with 1/3 of the Zenith, mostly mechanical parts, I cobbled together the stereo Zenith you see. The 200 was supposed to be gone through and go to Harry, who does not have a stereo player, so instead I gave him the option of taking of the Zenith mod, which he accepted.

The clues in my other message were that the mod player used a 154100 cart which should only be used properly with the newer "stereo" pickup assembly, plus the fact that one needs an audio "decoder" from a stereo player.

The AV outputs are cut into the Zenith case using a template made from the 200 case. The color coded rings are specialty washers painted and glued onto the case, since there was no stamped lettering on the case indicating which was which. There is a slot cut to handle the slider switch for audio A or B, or normal (stereo).

The best thing about this mod was that, since the whole player had to basically come apart, I was able to clean it up and lube it up so it now works great, a great learning experience too. If you wish to do this kind of thing, you'd need the donor SGT 200, and the recipient player, such as the Zenith, an SFT/SGT 100 or even the Sears player based upon the 100. An SGT 075 will not do as it's case does not have correct control buttons.

I have a couple of ideas for two other projects using a wrecked SJT 400 to make a stereo SJT 100, and using an SGT 250 that has a warped and ruined case, and somehow making an SFT 100 accept it, even with the button switch rather than the lever, I'd actually rather do that one with a Sears 274.54740150 but don't have one available. Maybe I'll try to find one.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap Tom! Do you own that VP4000? What an awesome looking toshiba clone!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cedmagic wrote:
Nice conversion on the VP2000, and it makes up for Zenith's complete lack of marketing for their practically nonexistent VP4000 stereo player. Apparently Zenith was contractually obligated to produce a stereo player, so the company partnered with Toshiba to manufacture a small number of these players. The VP4000 is a clone of the Toshiba VP500, with the LED display moved over to the right side of the player front.

Zenith VP4000 CED Player Front

Zenith VP4000 CED Player Back

--Tom Howe

holy cow i had no idea this existed! how did you find this one? i didn't think it existed because it wasn't on the reference guide, that is SO ccol!!
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might really have to do with what he owns. I have plenty pictures of a vip101 (pal) but he doesn't have it on his list. There is also the sears player that is a sanyo clone! I guess we will know why when he decides to tell us!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
L8gr8harry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Rick that's awesome, I am flying back to Charleston tonight and will catch up with you tomorrow. That looks great, i too would love to see an in action video; maybe some theme music...Michael Buffer to announce intro..

Just think About it

Harry
The RJ Special
-Zenith VP 2000 (SGT 200)
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Zenith VP4000 Reply with quote

The VP4000 came from a former Zenith employee who got it new in 1983. This model may have only been available to those who had inside knowledge that Zenith had ordered a small production run.

--Tom Howe
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Zenith VP4000 Reply with quote

cedmagic wrote:
The VP4000 came from a former Zenith employee who got it new in 1983. This model may have only been available to those who had inside knowledge that Zenith had ordered a small production run.

--Tom Howe

thats awesome, i hope there are a few more floating around somewhere to be uncovered!
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow is right, where do I begin? First off Rix, nice job on the Zenith mod. Very cool and must have been quite the project since you mashed the two players together.

Next, Tony, at the CED Workshop offered by John at CEDatum he said he has a guy working on making some circuit boards that will allow for exactly what Rix did, they will be all contained on one board and come with mounting brackets. So all you will need to do is drill some holes in the back case and solder the wires onto the right spots and viola. Also Ryan has been working on something similar but I think it was just for stereo audio, correct me if i'm wrong blind_fury.

Lastly, Tom, that VP4000 looks amazing. I also had no idea that something like that existed. I was telling the guys at the workshop that it would be great to be able to come out there just to see your museum and all the neat stuff you have. Any other treasures like that VP4000 that you haven't shared with us yet? I have also been meaning to ask you about a remote for the sears player. I don't recall if I've already asked or not but I was just wondering if you know if Sears ever made a remote for the sears players. I know they used the same remote as the Hitachi's and the Realistic but did Sears actually make one with their name on it?

Guess that's all, thanks for sharing Rix as it looks amazing.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Manilow may soon have One Voice in two speakers!

I haven't looked lately but I would hope there are Carpenters CEDs out there...
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!! Tom, That's unbelievable!!! I never ever new this one existed!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Barry Manilow may soon have One Voice in two speakers!

I haven't looked lately but I would hope there are Carpenters CEDs out there...

You sound like you love the same Music I do! I have most of Barry Manilow's records on Vinyl! I also love the Carpenters !!!!!! I have every CD, Vinyl, VHS, and DVD they ever put out. Unfortunately they never released any Carenters material on CED. Manilow sounds great on a stereo CED player, you are in for a treat!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick what you have there is truly remarkable! Do you think you could show us another picture of the player you did before? The one you painted black?
Great job!! I love my Zenity VP2000!
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude wrote:
Also Ryan has been working on something similar but I think it was just for stereo audio, correct me if i'm wrong blind_fury.

It is only for mono players with no component plugs out. Works a treat!

ketonic_dude wrote:

I was telling the guys at the workshop that it would be great to be able to come out there just to see your museum and all the neat stuff you have.

I would love to see his full collection! I have seen some of it on Wake up Oregon!

ketonic_dude wrote:

Any other treasures like that VP4000 that you haven't shared with us yet? I have also been meaning to ask you about a remote for the sears player. I don't recall if I've already asked or not but I was just wondering if you know if Sears ever made a remote for the sears players.

Two great questions that I would like to hear answered to Josh haha!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
ketonic_dude wrote:
Also Ryan has been working on something similar but I think it was just for stereo audio, correct me if i'm wrong blind_fury.

It is only for mono players with no component plugs out. Works a treat!

ketonic_dude wrote:

I was telling the guys at the workshop that it would be great to be able to come out there just to see your museum and all the neat stuff you have.

I would love to see his full collection! I have seen some of it on Wake up Oregon!

ketonic_dude wrote:

Any other treasures like that VP4000 that you haven't shared with us yet? I have also been meaning to ask you about a remote for the sears player. I don't recall if I've already asked or not but I was just wondering if you know if Sears ever made a remote for the sears players.

Two great questions that I would like to hear answered to Josh haha!

im shocked you didnt add the zenith 4000 to your dont have list yet! lol
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah AS you typed that, I did!!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
hahah AS you typed that, I did!!

oh dear, ill never get one now! lol
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
Rick what you have there is truly remarkable! Do you think you could show us another picture of the player you did before? The one you painted black?
Great job!! I love my Zenity VP2000!

Okay, as requested the photo of the black SKT 400. Not a great photo, but it is black, so not easily seen. Playing Endangered Species on the kitchen countertop of my old house. Player is now set in place above the Black 64" Pioneer Elite CRT rear projector TV where it looks great among all the other black components, Pioneer DVL 919 LD player, Mitsubishi S-VHS, a dual format PAL/NTSC LD player, Aiwa Pal/NTSC VHS, Pioneer Receiver, Magnavox BR disc player, Toshiba HD DVD, DVDO HD plus upscaler, etc, etc

2cnd photo is of what it looked like delivered, and all 4 corners were like that. Used epoxy to do the repairs.

Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn that looks great!! when i learn how to paint wood grain i wana do an all wood grain 400, cus i dont wana use sticky paper, its cheep Surprised
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of exotic veneers coming this week for speakers and a SOUNDESIGN receiver I wanted to make up like a 'rosewood' Pioneer for the heck of it. Cool
L8gr8harry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really liking this thread; I did some metal, wood, and plastic forming at my last company. When they went out of business I bought and/or was given as part of my severance a bunch of tools and equipment; never even struck me to look at player modifications.
Is that a high gloss enamel paint on the Black unit, or is there a finish coating over the initial paint?? What about heat issues with the electronics? And after seeing the great mod you did to create the RJ special Zenith I could honestly create anything my geeky little brain could come up with as long as it fit in the general shape of the player....
My current player is set on the bottom shelf of the rack that has my Commodore 64, I should finish my new set-up for multiple players and the 64 this week..than I'll have some psuedo-cool pictures. Altho i must say I feel woefully inadequate after seeing the pictures from Scott's place, those are impressive.

Harry
The RJ Special
-Zenith VP 2000 (SGT 200)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: