CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SKT-400 stylus arm adjustment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
61cubby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: SKT-400 stylus arm adjustment? Reply with quote

Hi guys-

I recently picked up an SKT-400 that basically is like new and works great....but....when you start a movie the stylus sets down anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or so into the movie and it won't always let you visual search back to the beginning. It functions properly during play and at the end of a side. I'm not sure if this was done during shipping or what. I hope it's just a simple adjustment somewhere.

Thanks a bunch!
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried any other stylus in the player? Do all functions work, pause, both rewind, both fast forward? Make sure it actually does rewind or fast forward and not just "stutter" There is a way to adjust it but it is easier to get a new/different stylus or have cedatum check it. The stylus starting at anything other than 0 is almost always the stylus and that is coming from the people who repair and test them literally everyday. A dirty disc will mess it up too so it is not always just the stylus or arm. If it doesn't bother you I wouldn't worry about trying to fix it other than different styli. I promise you, it would just make you go mad haha!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
61cubby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering fury, I will try a different stylus. I didn't go there first because the picture is so good. Very clean and noise free (for a CED disc) so not immediately on my radar. All other functions seem to work as they should with no jidders.

I got the player from a seller in Florida with 60 some movies that included all the Bond flicks, all three animated Lord of the Rings and some classics which play well on both decks.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem with ALL the 400 series players I have gotten. They always seem to start play a few seconds up to a minute into the disc. It varies depending upon the disc and if I just turned on the player, etc.

I never could figure out what it was, so I just learned to live with it, because the 400 players have such a great playback, I coonsidered it a small problem. However, I suspect it's something unique in the circuitry of the 400 player that causes this, since I never see it on tany other SJT/SKT models.

One thing I noticed is that if the disc starts playing a minute in, it is almost impossible to reverse to the point where the movie actually starts. It's as though something is holding the stylus so it cannot reverse much farther than the incorrect start point. Any ideas?
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:

One thing I noticed is that if the disc starts playing a minute in, it is almost impossible to reverse to the point where the movie actually starts. It's as though something is holding the stylus so it cannot reverse much farther than the incorrect start point. Any ideas?

I know I have read a guide on this website from Tom on how to adjust the stylus arm a little bit but I cannot find it anymore. But I promise you its almost always the stylus. Put a different one in or one that cedatum tells you starts at 0 and it will start at 0 and you will be able to rewind past or whatever else you want it to do where it started with the other stylus. I know it doesn't sound right but it is the stylus. That is almost always the cause. I don't know how many times I have had to use my test stylus or even sell the player with my test stylus because it was the only one to start at 0, all styli being tested on the same disc that I give with the player to the buyer. I can specifically remember this problem and it being talked about at the cedatum workshop both years and likely this year too!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to change the topic

but do you have the original remotes for both the sj and the skt 400? by that i mean the remote that comes with the player not the command center remote? im trying to get a visual on the differences in the remotes if getting a picture is at all possible

thanks!
61cubby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I have the original remote for the sjt-400, but not the skt. If you would like a pic of the sjt remote let me know and I will try to get one up.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61cubby wrote:
No problem. I have the original remote for the sjt-400, but not the skt. If you would like a pic of the sjt remote let me know and I will try to get one up.

sadly, it was the skt-400 i was looking for in particular, thanks anyway though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: