CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi all :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Hi all :) Reply with quote

I just now registered on the forum and just thought to say hello. Smile
All the way from South Africa. Johannesburg, to be exact.

I only recently found out about this (CED) video format and already the bug has bit me pretty hard. Razz

My hobbies are primarily to do with collecting vintage video game consoles and retro games, but about 6 or so months ago I also found myself more and more interested in older video formats.
To that end I've already managed to get myself a Laserdisc player and a D-VHS recorder. I'm enjoying both of those.

I would love to be able to get my hands on a CED player as well but I reckon first I've got a bit of reading ahead of me to gain some more info on this format and to identify which player I should try and get.

Looking forward to further interaction here on the forum. Smile
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Spiro, Welcome to CEDmagic!!! The bug bit me in 1982, when I bought my first player! I got out of it, and back in in 2010, Very nice on the interests, this format does tend to get in your blood a bit. If you are going to go for a player, you may as well get the top of the line player which is the SJT-400, or it's identical brother the SKT-400 It has a great many bells and whistles. You can find some guys right here on this time that can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about our little format. If you want to look at some titles on Ebay, just type in CEDs and a few thousand titles will pop up!..Good luck!!!
Spiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Beetlescott,

Thank you for the reply and of course for the welcome Smile

I have indeed already been scouring the various ebay listings using a variety of search terms.
Some decent CED players popped up, but mostly the "entry level" 100 series. And mostly with the "unit turns on but I have no disc to test it with" type remarks. So of course that has held me back in bidding on those particular items. That and the fact that most folks don't specify shipping to this part of the world.

If I may ask, what kind of price would I be looking at for a good condition and fully functional SJT-400, or either the SKT-400?
Straight off the bat I know that I'd be looking at shipping fees of between $150-200. So I'm fully cognizant of that, but I have no idea of the cost of the units themselves.

And just a little off topic, but what is the difference between a VHD video disc and an CED? Incompatible with each other, I guess?
I ask because, believe it or not, I found two such VHD movie items at a local flea market here in Johannesburg Shocked Laughing
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't purchase a player unless it says "Tested" or "Works Great" you can find them, I'm sure. You are right about the shipping, l sold several Discs to a guy in Australia last Dec, and the shipping was way more than the Discs. CED is a Capacitance Electronic Disc system, which uses a "stylus" (or needle like they use to call the stylus of an old record player) The VHD is a type of tape player, (at least I think it is) Someone will respond who knows about VHDs But there aren't compatible. If you took the disc out of the protective, plastic caddy, it is black and looks very much like an old lp record. The grooves are so fine, you can't feel them with your fingers, I have heard you can get 50 grooves from a CED inside of 1 groove of an old record. The CED is designed to never be touched. You slide the "caddy" in, and it drops the disc in and, after it plays side one, you flip it over. Forgive me if i'm getting to elementary, i'm not sure how much you know about them. If you get into them, I will send you at least 10 of my duplicates free, just pay whatever the shipping is, Shoot me an email, and i'll give you a list of my discs. Beetlescott@msn.com, please put CEDs in the subject line so it won't go to junk mail.
Spiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
Forgive me if i'm getting to elementary, i'm not sure how much you know about them.

Not at all. Any and all information is much appreciated! Smile

Quote:
If you get into them, I will send you at least 10 of my duplicates free, just pay whatever the shipping is, Shoot me an email, and i'll give you a list of my discs. Beetlescott@msn.com, please put CEDs in the subject line so it won't go to junk mail.

Well this is incredibly nice of you. Thank you very much!
I will certainly take you up on that very generous offer. Very Happy

Just also to ask,
besides ebay, which other, if any, sources would there be to track down a fully functional CED player?
Any other online sites that perhaps might still offer these for sale?
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In South Africa, the voltage is 220-230 at 50 hertz or cycles. You need to read my post here on this topic to decide what kind of compatible player to get:

http://www.cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2037

Also, the TV system format in your country is PAL, so you would need a way of converting NTSC to PAL, or converting NTSC to an HD format that your TV supports, or have a TV set capable of viewing NTSC signals.
Spiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
In South Africa, the voltage is 220-230 at 50 hertz or cycles. You need to read my post here on this topic to decide what kind of compatible player to get:

http://www.cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2037

Thanks for your post, Rixrex Smile

As I alluded to in my first post, I have over the years amassed a bunch of retro video game console systems. The majority of those have been from the States and Japan. Therefore I have had to invest in a few good quality step-down voltage converters. So I'm pretty well covered in that regard. Smile

Edit: just to show one of those voltage converters that I use,

Quote:
Also, the TV system format in your country is PAL, so you would need a way of converting NTSC to PAL, or converting NTSC to an HD format that your TV supports, or have a TV set capable of viewing NTSC signals.

I stand to be corrected but especially over recent years most (all?) of the newer breed of TV's are both PAL and NTSC compatible.
In any case, I do not have this problem with NTSC video signals/material. Smile
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of voltage converter is that?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Spiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
What brand of voltage converter is that?

No particular brand name on this converter. Just that it's a step-up/step-down converter, rated at 500W.
As far as I know, and I stand to be corrected on this, many converters are not branded.
Notwithstanding the lack of a brand name, I will say that judging by the service it's provided over the years, it certainly has not exhibited any signs which would indicate a typical lower-quality cheaper step-down/up converter which often result in image noise.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I was just wondering. I bought a decent step up/step down transformer off ebay a year or so ago but it had no brand name! Wanted to see if yours had one because it looked pretty good!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiro wrote:
, I found two such VHD movie items at a local flea market here in Johannesburg Shocked Laughing

vhd is actually the japanese counterpart " video hi density" which are mutually incompatible although they appear similar
Spiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
Spiro wrote:
, I found two such VHD movie items at a local flea market here in Johannesburg Shocked Laughing

vhd is actually the japanese counterpart " video hi density" which are mutually incompatible although they appear similar

Oh I see. Thanks. Smile
And would that video format be of comparable or better quality than CED?

Just fascinating to me these older video disc formats! Very Happy

I wasn't even remotely aware that some of these even existed.
To give you an example: My first experience with an "older" pre-DVD video disc format was when I acquired a Magnavox 550 CD-i video game console with digital video cartridge. That cartridge module allowed that system to play VCD's.

So yeah, not what you would call a great background as far as this interest/hobby is concerned. Laughing
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are ready for a Video Disc Player. Shoot me an email, I may be able to help you at least get started. Be sure and put CED in the subject line so it won't go straight to junk.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will that converter change 50 Hz to 60 Hz as well? Most of them keep the same Hz even when changing the voltage. Changing the Hz as well requires an inverter that actually changes the voltage to DC current than changes the DC current to the desired votage and cycles too.

For example, many converters state 50/60 Hz, but that only means they can accept either one, and the output is actually the same cycles as the input, even though a different voltage is produced.

The difference in cycles often does not effect many electronics like video games that would convert it to DC current anyway, or LD players either, but is an important feature of SFT/SGT CED players that use the 60 Hz to sync the turntable.

To be on the safe side, my suggestion is to stay away from SFT/SGT models and go for the SJT/SKT stereo models like 200, 300 and 400 series. They are typically better players, especially the 400 series.

In regards to PAL/NTSC TVs, you probably have that compatibility on your sets, as most sold in PAL countries do, but here in the US that's something that never really mattered much to the public, so it wasn't done. Fortunately we have video enhancing devices that will convert PAL or NTSC to HD formats, so those of us with PAL players can watch PAL formats on our HD sets.
Spiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
It sounds like you are ready for a Video Disc Player. Shoot me an email, I may be able to help you at least get started. Be sure and put CED in the subject line so it won't go straight to junk.

Yes, I will email you shortly. Thank you again Smile

Rixrex wrote:
To be on the safe side, my suggestion is to stay away from SFT/SGT models and go for the SJT/SKT stereo models like 200, 300 and 400 series. They are typically better players, especially the 400 series.

I will definitely heed this advice.
I've previously never had any type of issue with regard to 50/60Hz, but since you bring this point up and obviously have had much experience with the CED format, it would be wise to respect that knowledge. Smile
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few devices would give you an issue with he Hz or cycles. Either they convert the currect to DC anyway or they do not use the cycles for any function. For example, most 60 cycle AC motors would run slower on 50 cycles, but that is either not noticable, like in fans and such, or can be comensated for with different pully arrangments.

LD players are not a problem because they convert to DC to run all things in the player including the spindle motor. The same is true of VCRs and DVD.

The SFT/SGT players have AC motors that run the belt drive and rely upon 60 cycle AC current pulse to synchronize the turntable to the correct speed to match disc playback.

The SJT/SKT models use a direct drive that does not rely upon cycles to keep proper speed.

Last edited by Rixrex on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Beetlescott,
I've sent that email.
Hopefully you have received it. Smile
Spiro

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so finally I was able to get myself an SJT 300 player in it's original box, as well as a few movie discs.
I'll post a few pics a little later. Smile

I must admit I was sweating there for a bit as I wasn't too sure how well the seller had securely packaged the unit. Quite a relief then to have received it and that it looks and works great!
Shipped all the way from Albany, Missouri. Very Happy

Now that I do have it, I still have a couple questions I'd like to ask,

What particular model of stylus cartridge is compatible with the SJT 300?
I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a spare one ready to go.
Edit: It's stereo stylus # 154216, right?

And, what type of remote control is compatible with my unit?
I was offered one of those RCA Digital Command Center remotes for around $20. But I don't want to be purchasing it if it won't happen to work with the SJT 300.

So just to say that I'm pretty excited to be up and running with my CED stuff! And looking forward to collecting a bunch of movies for it in the months to come. Very Happy
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you didn't get a remote. All my SJT 300s have remotes. It is not the command center remote, but it is the same model remote used for the SGT 250. Command center remote will operate the 400 series.

You can also use the universal remotes shown here:

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/univ-remote/univ-remote.html

The stylus you mention is the only one used for the SJT/SKT models. Not a bad idea to get another one. They can be rebuilt to original quality by the folks at Cedatum.com
Spiro

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^
Thanks for the info!

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a spare remote I could purchase directly from you?
Spiro

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, humble beginnings as probably compared to most of you folks, but at least it's a start. Smile

As well two VHD's thrown in for good measure. Razz Laughing

Thanks to those that assisted me with helpful info in this thread.
As well to those that kindly offered their duplicate CED's free of charge (excl shipping, of course), but from whom I've never heard from again. Laughing
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiro wrote:
^^
Thanks for the info!

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a spare remote I could purchase directly from you?

I don't think I have any extra, they all have players to which they go. But those universal remotes are pretty well available still.

If you want some free discs, and you will pay the shipping, I can send you some out of the duplicates I have.

Did you get the player to work okay on your TV and watch anything yet?
Spiro

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
Spiro wrote:
^^
Thanks for the info!

I don't think I have any extra, they all have players to which they go. But those universal remotes are pretty well available still.

Fortunately just now I was able to source one.
The seller assures me that it works and the battery compartment is free of corrosion, etc.

Quote:
If you want some free discs, and you will pay the shipping, I can send you some out of the duplicates I have.

Thank you very much! Very kind of you.
Do you perhaps have a list of the one's you no longer need?
As well perhaps any stereo enabled discs? I have a stereo player but the few movies I own have only mono sound.

Quote:

Yeah it now works great! I've connected it via the composite video.
A little skipping of the video here and there, but now much better after a 2nd play-through.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiro wrote:
Rixrex wrote:
Spiro wrote:
^^
Thanks for the info!

Fortunately just now I was able to source one.
The seller assures me that it works and the battery compartment is free of corrosion, etc.

Quote:

Thank you very much! Very kind of you.
Do you perhaps have a list of the one's you no longer need?
As well perhaps any stereo enabled discs? I have a stereo player but the few movies I own have only mono sound.

Quote:

Yeah it now works great! I've connected it via the composite video.
A little skipping of the video here and there, but now much better after a 2nd play-through.

That's normal that it will play better after an initial play for discs that have not been played in a long time. I have setup one player for only that purpose, an SJT 090, to clear up discs not played for a while.

I really don't have a list made up, I would send you ones I you don't have already. Once I know what you have already and what kind of films you like, then I'll make a list, and some would be stereo I'm sure.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey spiro, so cool to see someone on another continent using our outdated technology! cheers!
L8gr8harry

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: welcome Reply with quote

I'm pretty new here as well, I managed to buy four discs from a person at work who thought they were laser disc's (silly rabbit), they were all Sci-Fi titles so I bought them just for the artwork. I started to look into the CED portion and remember an uncle that was the first to buy all the home electronics as they came out (I swear if he hadn't divorced my aunt I'd be calling him now looking for disc's). That was all it took and I needed more, I just got my sft 100w in and set-up, looking for more players and disc's now. So peace and GL from the states.
Spiro

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
That's normal that it will play better after an initial play for discs that have not been played in a long time. I have setup one player for only that purpose, an SJT 090, to clear up discs not played for a while.

That seems like a smart way to do it.
Is there any added "stress" placed on that particular stylus when used that way?

SelectaVision420 wrote:
hey spiro, so cool to see someone on another continent using our outdated technology! cheers!

Thanks!
It's all still pretty new to me. I'm having fun with it.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stylus does wear as it's being used. There's no more significant stress on the stylus running a disc through once before viewing the disc, just the normal usage of the stylus and disc. Most discs, if in good shape to start with, will last you as long as you own them. It's not like you're going to watch the same disc 500 times.
Spiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple more movies and a remote control.

BTW, I'm looking for "The Long Goodbye" starring Elliot Gould.
If anyone here has it and would be willing to sell it to me, please let me know.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiro wrote:
@Beetlescott,
I've sent that email.
Hopefully you have received it. Smile

Spiro, I'm very sorry, I haven't been in here in a while. If you still want some, please send me another email (with CED in the subject line) and i'll start looking for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: