CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP - Troubleshooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: HELP - Troubleshooting Reply with quote

So tonight I picked up an RCA SGT250 in a local ad. I get home and the player works. The machine hums fairly loudly but the picture is perfectly clear. My main concern is I have no sound. Again, picture is perfect but have no audio. I cant figure out why no sound. Any suggestions anyone?
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: troubleshooting Reply with quote

Well I fixed the audio problem now I just have to figure out how to make the hummking noise go away. I suspect the belts may need some greasing or lubrication. Does anyone know the best way to lubricate the belts and what to use? This player is in excellent condition otherwise.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an sgt-250 never grease or oil the belts. It ill make them not work, especially the servo belt. Only grease metal on plastic or plastic on plastic and oil metal on metal eg. turntable shaft.

I have had the top board on a 250 bent too low (prior owner set cinder blocks on top?) and scrape and push down the metal plate which made an intense rubbing noise.

If you are not experiencing any video problems the rubbing must not be enough to slow tt down. I can only suggest to do the standard maintenance and cleaning and try and observe the player with top off to try and locate source of humming/rubbing noise.

Are you able to make a video?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't there something about the sgt 200 and 250's first generations had some extra plastic under the stylus cover, and the later ones, had beveled edges on the sliding cover, maybe there was too much weight on it at one point, try watching a movie without the stylus cover on maybe? i might be thinking of something else though...
blindfury420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html#cabinet-access-door-impeding-pickup-arm-movement

But I don't think that creates a humming or rubbing noise Sad It just impedes stylus arm from progressing.

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a steady hummig sound fom any device, you need to think about what causes that type of sound first. A hum is a regular vibration that cycles so quickly that a person can hear it as a sound.

The most typical hum one can hear from electronics is the 60 cycle hum of the AC current, usually heard from a speaker when there's some sort of defective electronics part. It sounds like a low bass buzz that you hear if you ground out a RCA plug or connect a video out to a sound input by mistake.

Other than that, what can cause a hum on a CED player would have to be related to the turntable spinning. There's nothing else that cycles at a regular frequency to make a hum. It could be a part that is transferring the turntable frequency in a way that created a hum you can hear.

For example, the spline or plastic ring that stays in the player with the disc has been known to vibrate as the turntable spins and create a hum. If a disc is played with the cover off, you can pinpont the hum more easily by close listening and gentle touching of parts from where the hum seems to be emanating. By touching the part, such as a spline or electronics panel away form the circuitry, you can stop the vibration and hum and find its cause that way.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html#cabinet-access-door-impeding-pickup-arm-movement

But I don't think that creates a humming or rubbing noise Sad It just impedes stylus arm from progressing.

ah crap, thats what i was thinking of...
Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: noise Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I will play it without the cover to see what is causing that noise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: