CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello! New with Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mariasampson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Hello! New with Questions Reply with quote

I have recently come into possession of many CEDs and am wondering how I would go about finding the value of them. Some of them I would say are fairly rare. Thank you!

Maria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the value of them, but I am looking for Return of the Jedi and was wondering if you have it and were willing to part with it. RaggityAnn@hotmail.com
mariasampson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid Return of the Jedi is not one of the ones I have. What I do have are:

The Wizard of Oz

Elvis in Blue Hawaii

Dr. Detroit

The Making of Thriller

Revenge of the Ninja

Silkwood

Carrie

Eye for an Eye

At the moment, I am holding on to all of them. My main concern is finding their value, and then deciding whether or not to part with them. Thank you anyone for your hlep!

Maria
Ron Rendfeld

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Value / Cost Reply with quote

The value of any collectable item is dependent on CONDITION, demand and rarity.
RARITY: CED discs were produced by the thousands. Today, almost twenty years after production ceased you can still find discs that are "Factory Fresh", "New Old Stock", "In MINT condition still shrink wrapped" and there are thousands of used discs that are in very good condition too.
While some discs are very rare - "A Walk though the Universe" is a VERY RARE title - most titles can be found with a little effort.

DEMAND: There are only a few hundred people who collect CEDs and most of us collect just the movies we like. Only a few dozen people are serious collectors. A very rare disc, sold on ebay, may bring a good price but most discs sell for only a few dollars.

CONDITION: No matter how rare a disc is IF it is in poor condition it will not command a good price. The Cover art / label has to be Clean and undamaged - nicks and bubbles are common and detract from the appearance and value. A disc with a torn, worn label or damaged case / cassette is nearly worthless.
AND
A disc that skips, fades, drops out or shudders is (junk) no joy to watch.

I have purchased Discs on eBay, from thrift stores and from private collections. I have payed as little as $ .99 and as much as $12.00 for Good - Clean/Playable - Movie discs.
I have payed more for Games and special discs like the boxed sets; $10 for Michaelangelo, $15 for a "New still wrapped" Disney Mystery disc. (I gave away a Disney disc that had a torn label. If a disc isn't in good shape it has little value)
The most I've ever payed was $35.00 for the "Space Shuttle Mission Reports" but most of the discs I've purchased were in the $3 to $4 price range.

Ron in Indianapolis
mariasampson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for you help. This is all what I thought. I really just wanted to hear it from someone who collects. At the moment, the discs are with my sister, as soon as I get them, I'll know the value based on condition a bit more. Thanks again for your help!

maria
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: