CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOW MANY DIFFERENT "DEAD" FORMATS DO YOU HAVE??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: HOW MANY DIFFERENT "DEAD" FORMATS DO YOU HAVE?? Reply with quote

I have been interested in CED players & Discs since they came out, but only in the last few months I have been interested in Laser Discs. Not to the extent of this format, but still i'm enjoying them very much. Thanks to Alchemy who sent me a bunch of dupes he had. I have been finding great deals on them at Half Price Books. I even found 3 CEDs in the laser disc box. Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Star Wars. Anyway, my question is how many different dead formats do you enjoy? Audio or Video!

CEDs
Laser Discs
VHS Tapes
Beta Tapes (I have a player)
Records
Audio Cassettes (I don't care for them, but I have some)
HD DVD player

It looks like DVDs are headed towards the Dead Format pretty soon.

What about you?
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread:

Audio:
8-track tapes, (Even though I do not have an 8-track deck.)
4 channel (Quadraphonic) records
Audio cassettes

Audio/Video:
VHS tapes
CED's
Laserdiscs
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830

Last edited by dumbchemist on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure you can count a format still being produced as a dead format...

Both CDs and LPs have production runs, even if limited.

My favorites are

LD
CED
HD DVD (Kicks BRD's butt)

Still have VHS and Beta.

My Betamax collection is beginning to be less and less importantand keeping the machines up to operation status is cumbersome. I may sell out on that format soon.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i the only one who still collects mini discs?
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minidiscs seem to be hard to find- a friend gave me a machine last year but I haven't found any prerecorded discs to play on it. He gave me a blank disc but I don't want to go to the trouble of recording something on it.

I've collected 8-tracks for 20 years now, CEDs for almost 19. I bought my first laserdisc player in 1993 and still watch and collect those, I've had a Beta machine for about 18 years, its main use is to play old tapes recorded from TV that I've found. I have a number of VHS machines including one to play the older linear (non Hi-Fi) audio track in stereo which 99% of later machines can't do, and a high-definition D-VHS player and roughly half the movies that were released on that. I got an HD-DVD player when they were being cleared out after the format died, and I've got most of the major US releases. I have a Japanese VHD player too (that format was supposed to come out in the US also but never did) but only 3 discs for that, it operates very similar to CED except the discs are 10 inches rather than 12.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Skeen wrote:
Minidiscs seem to be hard to find- a friend gave me a machine last year but I haven't found any prerecorded discs to play on it. He gave me a blank disc but I don't want to go to the trouble of recording something on it.

I've collected 8-tracks for 20 years now, CEDs for almost 19. I bought my first laserdisc player in 1993 and still watch and collect those, I've had a Beta machine for about 18 years, its main use is to play old tapes recorded from TV that I've found. I have a number of VHS machines including one to play the older linear (non Hi-Fi) audio track in stereo which 99% of later machines can't do, and a high-definition D-VHS player and roughly half the movies that were released on that. I got an HD-DVD player when they were being cleared out after the format died, and I've got most of the major US releases. I have a Japanese VHD player too (that format was supposed to come out in the US also but never did) but only 3 discs for that, it operates very similar to CED except the discs are 10 inches rather than 12.
How does the picture quality on VHD compare to CED.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:

I have one of those! It is The Monkees, and in a tiny sleeve. I had forgotten all about it and when Davy Jones died earlier this year, I was putting a magazine away and saw it. Were there a lot of those?
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
Jesse Skeen wrote:

How does the picture quality on VHD compare to CED.

Jesse maybe you could answer a question for me. How many US titles were released on HD DVD?
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
Not sure you can count a format still being produced as a dead format...

Both CDs and LPs have production runs, even if limited.

My favorites are

LD
CED
HD DVD (Kicks BRD's butt)

Still have VHS and Beta.

My Betamax collection is beginning to be less and less importantand keeping the machines up to operation status is cumbersome. I may sell out on that format soon.

You are correct Rixrex, I guess I was thinking of the old vinyl, but they are still cutting new vinyl I suppose the more accurate title would be "UNDEAD" Smile . I didn't know CDs were still being released though.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I also have 16mm & 8mm & Super 8, cameras and projectors, along with some films for each of those three formats.

I won't say that you can count them as dead, except maybe for 8mm, since both 16mm and Super 8 are in limited use. I think they are close to the grave though.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I were at an antique shop and found what looked like an old record player. It had spools of very thin wire, looked like fishing line. I was told by the owner it was a recording device BEFORE records. I never knew anything like it existed! I might of mentioned it in here before, If I have, i'm sorry. But after you hit 50 you get to have a mulligan or two. Smile
Has anyone ever seen or heard of such a thing?
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them, they are wire recorders! I kinda want one honestly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_recording

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WEBSTER-CHICAGO-ELECTRONIC-MEMORY-180-1-WIRE-RECORDER-/290764998418?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43b2f1c712

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Silvertone-Phonograph-Radio-Wire-Player-and-Recorder-Combo-No-8102A-1940s-/251135467650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a78d72082

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ECHO-STAINLESS-STEEL-HIGH-FIDELITY-RECORDING-WIRE-In-Original-Box-/221091829121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337a199581

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
I have seen them, they are wire recorders! I kinda want one honestly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_recording

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WEBSTER-CHICAGO-ELECTRONIC-MEMORY-180-1-WIRE-RECORDER-/290764998418?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43b2f1c712

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Silvertone-Phonograph-Radio-Wire-Player-and-Recorder-Combo-No-8102A-1940s-/251135467650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a78d72082

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ECHO-STAINLESS-STEEL-HIGH-FIDELITY-RECORDING-WIRE-In-Original-Box-/221091829121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337a199581

Ryan, It is exactly like the one in the thrid link. It has been sitting there for over 3 months. The guy said it did work. I can't understand why there is a stylus arm on it. Maybe it plays vinyl too?
SRSanford10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: How many dead formats? Reply with quote

Perhaps if you want to count almost "dead" professional formats, I have one Sony U-matic BVU-200 and one Sony Betacam BVV1. Also 2 CED players and one laserdisc player.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How many dead formats? Reply with quote

SRSanford10 wrote:
Perhaps if you want to count almost "dead" professional formats, I have one Sony U-matic BVU-200 and one Sony Betacam BVV1. Also 2 CED players and one laserdisc player.

Very nice!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
My wife and I were at an antique shop and found what looked like an old record player. It had spools of very thin wire, looked like fishing line. I was told by the owner it was a recording device BEFORE records. I never knew anything like it existed! I might of mentioned it in here before, If I have, i'm sorry. But after you hit 50 you get to have a mulligan or two. :)
Has anyone ever seen or heard of such a thing?

Before there was magnetic tape (iron particles embedded in a flexible tape), there were wire recorders using the same method of magnetically arranging molecules but on the metal wire so that sound could be recorded and reproduced. A German invention before WW2.

The phonograph with wire recorder was the old version of the more modern (last half century) console that you've all seen that had a phonograph and a tape deck and radio.

Probably it was possible to record from the record to the wire recorder. Pretty neat setup, not so farfetched as those with money could afford whatever. Kind of like the old 1950 rear projector TV that never caught on until 30 yrs later.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
SelectaVision420 wrote:

I have one of those! It is The Monkees, and in a tiny sleeve. I had forgotten all about it and when Davy Jones died earlier this year, I was putting a magazine away and saw it. Were there a lot of those?

i have just been recording my music onto blanks, i have one title by ben folds five, but when i lived in japan i stocked up on md's and i have pretty much all the music i want on md, but i can always re record over what i have Smile
krbsforty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides CED, the dead audiovisual formats I collect are:

Records
8-track-tapes
Reel-to-reel
Compact cassettes, but they do not interest me as much
Microcassettes
Minicassettes
Betamax
VHS, although I am only interested in early VHS VCRs & tapes
Laserdisc
8 millimetre video tapes

I do not know if this qualifies, but most of my televisons, including my RCA Dimensia TV, are older analogue televisions, which have not received over-the-air channels since 2009, but I still use them.

Last edited by krbsforty on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dr8track

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CED's of course
Laserdiscs
HD DVD
BetaMax
Regular Vinyl Albums
Quadraphonic Vinyl Albums
Regular 45's
8 Track Tapes
Quadraphonic 8 Track Tapes
stereo Reel to Reel
Quadraphonic Reel to Reel
Muntz era 4 Track stereo Cartridges
Revere Stereo Cartridges (Just discovered these)
Playtape 2 track tapes
Hip Pocket Records
Pocket Rocker Tapes
A few Cassettes, but have never been a fan
Xian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, 'dead' formats I still use........

Cassette tapes
33 1/3 rpm records
45 rpm records
CDs(I consider them dead)
Betamax
Regular VHS
CEDs
Laserdiscs
DVDs(again, like CDs, on the way out)
HD DVD (I have a player but no movies) : (
CRT TVs
CRT Front Projection TV

Adding video game formats to the discussion.....

Atari 2600
NES(Nintendo)
Gamecube(Nintendo)
Playstation 2
xbox
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can now add another "dead" format: HD_DVD. I just got a used player from e-bay a couple of days ago. The player cost me about $30.00 which includes shipping. The model is a Toshiba HD-A3 and is as mint as they come. There are no scratches on the outside and the inside has absolutely no trace of dust. Whoever had it used it very little. I have a Santana Concert HD-DVD coming from e-bay in about a week for testing the player. It does play normal DVD's very well. However, it did not come with a remote control so it is impossible to get off the DVD main menu. I have ordered a remote, though.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
dr8track

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
I can now add another "dead" format: HD_DVD. I just got a used player from e-bay a couple of days ago. The player cost me about $30.00 which includes shipping. The model is a Toshiba HD-A3 and is as mint as they come. There are no scratches on the outside and the inside has absolutely no trace of dust. Whoever had it used it very little. I have a Santana Concert HD-DVD coming from e-bay in about a week for testing the player. It does play normal DVD's very well. However, it did not come with a remote control so it is impossible to get off the DVD main menu. I have ordered a remote, though.

Yesh, I bought my Toshiba new from Tiger Direct when they were closing them out right after the format died. I think it was $79. The HD DVD movies are available cheap from Ebay. Unless it's a rare title it's unusual to pay more than $5 for them.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have most HD-DVD titles released in the US- the problem with those is they have been rotting, mainly the ones made by Warner. Some will not play at all, others freeze up in the middle of the movie. I have five players so I know it's not a player problem, others have been reporting this too. When I first found out about this I scanned through all my discs and replaced the bad ones with ones that played, but more may have rotted since then in which case I'll give up.

How are CDs a "dead" format? They may not be selling well lately, but they're still being made. Also what 'better' format is there to replace them? I refuse to accept mp3s as a format, I will NEVER pay for a download of anything. SACDs are just about dead, which is a shame since they sound great. Blu-Ray audio discs may be replacing them though.
Xian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Blu-rays that won't play anymore as well....

I pretty much consider ALL physical media a 'dying' industy. 4k technology might extend Blu-rays in the future, it might also help the digital download direction, we'll have to wait and see. It won't be long before all video/audio/games are all going to be digital downloads. I would rather rip my own video and audio, but I'll go with the flow. I actually enjoy the digital age because now I can rip and record all of my media and put it in one place to access with a click. : )

Just because we refuse to pay for a download doesn't change anything. I won't PAY for any downloads either. That however doesn't change the trend in that direction. The iTunes store sells over 9 million songs a day, then factor Amazon and the rest......Digital sales are up about 15% while CDs are down again by 4.4%.
That's a big reason we all still use the old formats. : )
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media and its packaging is what makes it SPECIAL. There's nothing special about filling a hard drive with material any more than there was filling up a blank tape with stuff. Besides, what do you suggest I do if I rip a rare, out of print movie to a hard drive, and then the hard drive DIES? If I don't have the disc, I'm pretty much screwed! Streaming is even worse- I could 'buy' a movie on Vudu, but there's nothing keeping them from taking that movie off-line later for whatever reason! (They already did that when they got rid of adult videos when Wal-Mart took the company over, but at least they were nice enough to refund people who bought them that time.)

I'm all for improvements in quality- let's face it, Blu-Ray is far superior to CED, but there are no advantages to downloads for me.
Xian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I COMPLETELY agree with you about the media and the packaging. : ) But the movie or the song IS the entertainment.
I have never streamed anything before so I have no input on that.
As far as a hard drive dying, well that's why I have everything backed up in duplicate. Wink
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backups are for software, not art. That said, I do have backup copies of my rarer DVDs, and have transferred my priceless material from Beta and VHS onto DVD and made multiple backup discs of those as well.
Xian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Skeen wrote:
Backups are for software, not art. That said, I do have backup copies of my rarer DVDs, and have transferred my priceless material from Beta and VHS onto DVD and made multiple backup discs of those as well.

Jesse Skeen wrote:
.....There's nothing special about filling a hard drive with material any more than there was filling up a blank tape with stuff.

Which means there's nothing SPECIAL about filling a DVD as well???

"Backups are for software, not art." But 'multiple backup discs' are Okay?!?!?!

WOW I bow to your superiority Mr. Skeen. Shocked
7jlong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you all heard my take on physical media in the "CED in our time" thread. Though regular DVD and BluRay are still in production, they are dying. The big labels have been making noise about stopping CD production for a few years now - 2012 was supposed to be the end of the line, though it looks like they have softened on that idea. Vinyl is holding its ground, though, since it has come around again as a hipster fave.

Definitive statements about what makes a media experience good/interesting/valuable/whatever have always made me uncomfortable. To me it's like vinyl junkies who swear up and down that you are not hearing the music properly until you're holding a record cover, reading the liner notes, and preferably hearing some dust and pops. Because that's really how it was meant to be heard.

I don't buy it. But that's just my opinion.

Next audio format? Probably more of the vinyl resurgence. It is the only audio format that people actually care about anymore. However, there are some promising strides being made in downloads (though I still prefer compact discs, personally), notably HD Tracks. Or, what the hey - get your reel-to-reel fix at The Tape Project!

I find the argument against backing up compelling. I guess I would rather spend $100 on another external drive to back up everything that is important to me than have to dig out tapes and stuff and re-rip them in case of hard drive failure. Not to mention: whether or not it is art is subjective I guess, but if I lost all my neg scans and digital images to a hard drive disaster I'd very likely go into some terrifying vegetative state. So for me, backups are for art and software. And I'm cool with that.

But back to Scott's original question about what we're collecting,

Dead:
- CED
- Laserdisc
- a few scattered cassettes, open reels, and VHS tapes that have irreplaceable material

On Life Support:
- vinyl
- CD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: