CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHY ARE CED COLLECTORS SO PASSIONATE???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: WHY ARE CED COLLECTORS SO PASSIONATE??? Reply with quote

I have recently become a minor collector of Laser Discs, a new buddy sent me a player and some LDs after I gave him his first CED player. I have collected DVDs and now BluRays and vinyl 45s and LPs But I have noticed that people who are major CED player and Discs really seem to enjoy it more than the others. I know I get so excited when I find CEDs setting in an antique mall or estate sale. Or find another collector who likes to trade!!! Why do you suppose we all love doing it? To be honest, the other formats don't have skips, don't get so damaged when stacked flat, Usually any other format will play without those worries. Why is it? Any opinions???
SKT-100
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
SKT-100
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them just because they're such a forgotten format. The internet seems to have brought back awareness of them, but when I started collecting most people didn't know what they were.

I also liked the idea of playing them in the best available quality- right now I can watch them upscaled to 1080p with Pro-Logic surround sound. CED may not be the best quality format, but there's something about getting it to look and sound as good as possible, partially with the help of new technology that probably wasn't intended to be used with it.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. When I played my Dolly in London disc the other day, I got chill bumps!! I think it is sweet sounding. Now, in my CED room, I have my older Onkyo receiver hooked up with just two speakers. The receiver only works on "bypass" mode, using only 2 speakers makes it sound about like it did back in the old days.
Jesse I have noticed since I started lurking in here 3 years ago, and I have seen much more activity now than when I first joined. It's good to see so much interest these days. Still most people don't know what I'm talking about.
SKT-100
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little-known fact- Dolly in London is SQ quad encoded! Modern equipment can decode it pretty closely on Pro-Logic II Music mode. A number of Pioneer Artists laserdiscs were secretly mixed for quad, I've been told.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Can you explain this to me a little more? You mean it would actually have 4 separate channels on a home theater? Sorry for my ignorance.
SKT-100
Matt Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
Jesse Can you explain this to me a little more? You mean it would actually have 4 separate channels on a home theater? Sorry for my ignorance.

Yes, the disc would have four different audio tracks, right and left front and rear. It you want to do this by the book, you'd need an SQ decoder and, depending on the decoder, two extra speakers or two extra channels of amplification and speakers. SQ was one of the competing quad formats for LPs in the seventies and the one backed by Columbia records. Good decoders, like the Tate Fosgate or top-end Sonys go for quite a bit. SQ was a matrixed format, like the original Dolby Surround, so I do believe that Jesse is correct about Dolby PLII music mode being able to do a pretty good job of retrieving the rear-channel information, although I admit that I haven't tried it. On a disc like Dolly in London, I'm guessing most of the rear info would be crowd noise anyway, so I would expect you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between decoding with a real SQ decoder and PLII. Since there seem to more than a few stereo CEDs with Dolby Surround audio, I wonder why this, or any of the laserdiscs, was released in SQ. Not to mention the fact that SQ was essentially dead by 1977 or so. Very odd.
SRSanford10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Why are CED collectors so passionate? Reply with quote

The reason I am quite interested in CED is probably different from that of most people on the forum because of my age. I moved to Los Angeles in 1975 and was working for several years at various short term, deadend electronic technician jobs. In early 1981 , I was finally hired by a large, well-known media company for a pretty good salary. To celebrate, a number of months later, I got a Montgomery Ward (Toshiba) CED player and a number of discs. Thus, CED reminds me of my "graduation" to big time media tech jobs.
kamakazi20012

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with this format...and almost all of my family members on my dad's side owned at least one per member and about 100 movies each. My grandmother got one for her and one for me when our local dealer went out of business and sold everything at auction (Lair's RCA; Bellefonte, AR).

When VHS took over, the players ended up in closets and under beds; and would not be seen again until I was about 17 years old when I dragged one out from under grandma's bed. It didn't work but I was determined to get it going again. All of the models were SJT-100s except one which was the SJT-200. I love the technology and there are a lot of great movies that are not available on DVD or Blu-Ray; let alone VHS. Some kid movies like Great Space Chase, Great Space Coaster, tons of MGM cartoons like Tom & Jerry, plus lots of Disney Cartoon Parade volumes easily make this player a must have for those who babysit.

It still remains my favorite format. Sadly, all the movies and players were stolen/destroyed when mom passed away in 1998. I was unable to retrieve those in time before her house got ransacked. I'm currently looking for a CED player so I can start collecting again.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already said it, but I will again.

Welcome to CEDmagic!!!! It's so good to see people come in with stories like yours!!! I bought my first player in Sept 1982, and it was love at first sight!! in October, I lost my 23 year old sister in an auto accident. My player and movies helped me get through some rough times that year. That is one of the reasons I love the format, one of many.
The things that are listed on Wikipedia as "negative" aspects, the skips or jumps, is just one of the formats quirks. If a disc has been sitting for 30 years, it is probably good to play them through a few times prior to watching the movie. Works great for me!!!
SKT-100
wildrumpus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: My boyfriend hypnotized me Reply with quote

My boyfriend of 8-1/2 years claimed to love the vintage, retro stuff. I was 20 years older than him. One day he showed me CEDs and this website. I had heard of laser discs, but not CEDs. I was intrigued and got hooked. I bought thousands of them and five players. I wanted to make him happy. I took them to a house I bought for him thousands and thousands of miles away. Now here I am, no boyfriend and all of these heavy CEDs and players that I can't get rid of. I live in upstate, western NY. No one wants them, and I have no time for ebay. I want them out of my house! I even tried to sell them on this site years ago, but was told I don't live in the right location. Lesson learned. Embarassed Sad Confused
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you female? Smile I came close to getting married a couple years ago to someone who was trying to get me to collect a lot less stuff and get rid of a lot of what I had- glad I didn't go through with THAT! Smile
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted an old lady who is used to my crap to follow me home and nag me properly, and Peg Bundy is not real.

I'm sure if I left Al his Duster it would have been fine, as I've owned one too and we would understand these things!
analog.tv

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh..... I'm mainly into early television and CED's are a really adjunct to that. As we have moved to Colorado from the east coast, some downsizing was helpful. A certain member in Connecticut did well with the castoffs. These are interesting hobbies....vinyl on video! Thanks, Craig
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Fisher wrote:
Beetlescott wrote:

Yes, the disc would have four different audio tracks, right and left front and rear. It you want to do this by the book, you'd need an SQ decoder and, depending on the decoder, two extra speakers or two extra channels of amplification and speakers. SQ was one of the competing quad formats for LPs in the seventies and the one backed by Columbia records. Good decoders, like the Tate Fosgate or top-end Sonys go for quite a bit. SQ was a matrixed format, like the original Dolby Surround, so I do believe that Jesse is correct about Dolby PLII music mode being able to do a pretty good job of retrieving the rear-channel information, although I admit that I haven't tried it. On a disc like Dolly in London, I'm guessing most of the rear info would be crowd noise anyway, so I would expect you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between decoding with a real SQ decoder and PLII. Since there seem to more than a few stereo CEDs with Dolby Surround audio, I wonder why this, or any of the laserdiscs, was released in SQ. Not to mention the fact that SQ was essentially dead by 1977 or so. Very odd.

I started with CED collection back in 1983 when I bought my first player, a Sears 934.5470150 that I still have. My first CED was Time Bandits. My mother and I watched that movie many, many times.

That is interesting about the CED soundtrack being recorded in 4 channel using SQ encoding on some CED's. I have a quad setup so I can play SQ encoded LP's. I will have to try running the CED audio into my quad decoder (Lafayette SQ-L) and see what develops.

Was there ever a listing of the CED's that might have had quad audio?
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
RT9342

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we all have our different reasons. As for me, this is the format I grew up with. As a kid, I didn't even know about VCRs or laserdiscs. All I knew was, we had a videodisc player, our grandparents had a videodisc player, and every furniture store in town was renting and selling CEDs. It wasn't 'til they were discontinued that we got a VCR. But I was annoyed by the complex nature of the VCR (keep in mind, this was back when they had the 12 channel buttons that had to be preset through a switch set on the top, and all of the programming was done by switches and buttons on the front panel). Rewinding was very annoying too, and I noticed even as a kid, the VHS tapes had poorer picture. I will admit though, in my case, I kind of like collecting laserdiscs more nowdays. I can get most of the CEDs that I grew up with on laserdisc, usually with the same artwork, and then I can get volumes that never made it to CED. Plus, I have a really cool laserdisc player, a PR-7820, from the first or second week of production (of the GM dealer runs), which is in very prestine condition - no yellowing, very stable tracking, and the best picture quality I've seen on any pre-90s player. But there's still something cool about CEDs. I guess it's the fact that you have movies on a vinyl disc, played by a stylus. So many people, including myself, are still fascinated with records and record players, and to see a similar device that actually plays color video instead of just audio is really cool.
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Skeen wrote:
I love them just because they're such a forgotten format. The internet seems to have brought back awareness of them, but when I started collecting most people didn't know what they were.

Indeed.....I wouldnt have even known about them if not for the internet!

Pure analogue glory Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: