CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ced player from Thrift Store

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinylfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Ced player from Thrift Store Reply with quote

While in my local salvation army, I recently found an RCA SJT100 for 9.99. I didnt know what it was initially, so I checked on the ced magic website to find out what it was and bought it the following day.I took the player apart and found that it needed a new drive belt for the function motor. After obtaining a new belt, I checked for a stylus and it had one. I played the movie that came with it and the quality was clearer than most VHS tapes. So for $9.99 I got my first player with a good stylus and a movie. You never know what you might find!
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good score, and that player has rewind and such!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Vinylfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought so too and it is a good collection starter even though it isn't a stereo model
iTroy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of my friends know what they are from me now and will call me when they see one. hah I've actually never seen a player in a thrift shop but only a couple discs.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fine player, and only about 15 percent of the total CED production was stereo anyway. You can do fine hooking it up to your RF input, and if your TV has audio outputs, just run that through an amp/receiver that can give you synthesized stereo effect.

That's if you have a set and amp that can do such. Otherwise, hooked up to a vintage TV is great too. And they should look better than VHS anyway and as good as Beta 1, the best beta speed.

I also have never seen one at a thrift store yet, but the best LD player deal I got was a CLD-D515 PAL/NTSC combo player for $8 at a thrift store, which I still use, and a CLD-D704 & remote for $40 at a swap meet, that my son grabbed from me right away.
Vinylfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rix! $8 is even better for a LD player and it plays PAL and NTSC formats. I have never seen any discs either, but have found many vinyl lps in thrift shops. Hopefully I will come across some discs soon but that is not likely.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of thrift stores mix laserdiscs in with the records since they don't know the difference. I've found several at Goodwill stores recently, it's always worth the time to flip through the records there. (They always want $2 per record, which makes me not impulse-buy a lot of those. If they were $1 I'd buy a lot more.)
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinylfan wrote:
Thanks rix! $8 is even better for a LD player and it plays PAL and NTSC formats. I have never seen any discs either, but have found many vinyl lps in thrift shops. Hopefully I will come across some discs soon but that is not likely.

I've got a list of several hundred discs that are duplicates of one I have already. Many are just $1 each.

In all fairness, I have to say that neither LD player would open, but it was only the matter of replacing a load belt similar to the function motor belt on the CED player you have.

I'd been looking for a PAL/NTSC player for ages and always got outbid on ebay for them when they came up available in he US. The 515 was certainly good luck!
Vinylfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of luck involved in Thrift store finds, and if it doesnt work, it doesnt hurt to try to fix it. Quick question for you all: are laserdisc players typically cheaper that CED players? If so why? Thanks!
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assume laserdisc players would go for more than CED players, since they were made more recently and aren't as big a 'failure' as CED was, it got obsolete more than anything else. Plus the later players especially were a lot more sophisticated, and can also play audio CDs which are still being made.

Discs are another story though, since laserdiscs look exactly like records to the untrained eye they usually get sold for the same price as records. CEDs look different enough, though they're often put in the record sections as well. Once at a Goodwill I got a laserdisc for 2 bucks since they thought it was a record, but also a CED for $5 since they knew it was something different!
Vinylfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, I wasn't sure about that and if the LDs were relatively inexpensive I might collect them along with CEDs since I enjoy vintage electronics.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be that LD players tended to be higher priced than CED players about 10 yrs ago, but not anymore. LDs themselves are a bargain right now, going for $1 to $5 each in many cases, with rare ones and horror, of course, bringing more.

It's now the kind of market where finding nice CED players is getting tougher, even with collectors dropping out. Back in 2002 I recall seeing several dozen CED players on ebay at one time, and now it's often less than a dozen. Meanwhile, there's still plenty of LD players available.

I currently have top quality LD players listed at between 25 to 50 percent less than good CED players. Take a look:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/2775549805.html

Out of this listing, I've had many people say they were interested, but actually sold only one. And I sold another on the LDDB forum.

In my CED listing via the CEDmagic classifieds and here, I sold something like 8 players in the same anmount of time.

But I would prompt any CED collector to go ahead and get some LDs. They complement any CED collection and help to fill in some gaps that a CED collection may have, like the 1st Halloween film, and other Friday the 13th films. You can also get the uncut version of Zombie for about half to 1/4 the price of the CED. LDs that are fullscreen format, like CEDs are usually even cheaper than the widescreen ones.
Vinylfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to my local thrift shop today and I found the jackpot: 5 ced players
2 SFT 100s
1 SGT 250
1 Sears 934.54780150
1 SJT 300
I bought the 300 because I have been wanting one and it was in the best condition. All it took to get it playing was a new function motor drive belt (of course). The 250 was very beat up on the front, but the stylus looked ok. The sears player was in ok cosmetic condition but a wire on the stylus was broken, so I decided to leave it. The 2 100s were in fair condition and both had a stylus. There was also 3 bins of discs, most of which were Disney cartoons. Has anyone else ever seen this many players in the same place?
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never at a thrift store, but I have bought 4 players at once in ohio, then 6 in Pennsylvania and 5 from grand rapids a few weeks ago! All people from here or craigslist!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: