CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFT-100 Problem....Anyone got any suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
movieguy11a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: SFT-100 Problem....Anyone got any suggestions? Reply with quote

I have a SFT-100 i got that is in awesome shape and is as clean as if it werebreand new...during shipping it seems that the turntable has jostled or something and it makes a horrible noise.....here is a video....please help if you haveany suggestions....movieguy11a@gmail.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PbNf4S_wsI
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That turntable is really scuffing against something.

That player needs a good look through to see what it is that is bumping the turntable. Could be the turntable lift assembly that's regulated by the lever is off somewhat.

See if you can get rid of or lessen the sound by moving that lever up or down a tad while playing.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard some crazy noises but that one is loud and unheard of by me at least hahah. Normal scrapin noise is drive poles but that is way way louder. Wish I could get my hands on it to see what it was!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
analog.tv

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try adjusting the hex screw in the center of the bottom to raise the turntable. CRAIG Greenbelt, MD
rein-o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm getting a SFT-100 in the mail.
it's not working, any hints on what i should look for to repair?
this is my first player and i came over due to rixrex on lddb.com

i'm sure i'll have to order belts etc, they are really cheap but i'm going to be excited, can i pick up some at a hardware store or sewing store?
thanks in advance.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to cedmagic!!

Servo belt and turntable are the only belts on the sft-100. It completely depends on how they stored the player if the belts lasted Sad Like if it was stored in a garage the belts are likely dry rotted out!

The servo belt is available from cedmagic and from cedatum. The turntable belt is pretty much only available from cedatum!
http://www.cedmagic.com/home/purchase.html

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/belt-replacement-guide/belt-specs.html#fg-belt-note
I've heard of a few instances where RCA F/G players would fail to operate when a new FR21.5 turntable drive belt was installed, but would start working again after the old belt was put back in. In another instance the player failed to operate immediately after the new belt was installed, but started working the next day. These are problems with the player and not the replacement belt per se, as the FR21.5 is nearly an exact duplicate of the belt RCA originally installed at the factory, and was PRB's recommended replacement when they used to list the SFT100 player in their cross reference guides. What has happened is the player and original belt have "grown old together" and the new, tighter fitting belt changes the dynamics of the situation to the extent that the turntable drive motor is unable to start the turntable spinning. The most likely cause is lack of lubrication in the turntable drive spindle and bearings.

I have learned that CEDatum has a supply of original RCA turntable drive belts (stock no. 152751) available. This is a better replacement choice than the nearly identical PRB FR21.5 belt, so I'm discontinuing sale of the FR21.5 belt while RCA OEM stock continues to be available.

The PRB FRX2.0 belt for the F/G servo drive is thicker than the belt originally supplied by RCA. This means an off-the-shelf FRX2.0 will have more tension when installed in the player, and this tension may be too great to allow the servo motor to spin up from rest. The FRX2.0 belts that CED Magic provides have been pre-stretched for a period of about six months to a year to reduce their tension. When purchasing a pre-stretched belt, it should be installed immediately or stored in a stretched position. I stretch the belts for the six months to a year period by storing them on a round dowel 15/16" in diameter. If you purchase FRX2.0 belts from another source, they should be pre-stretched for a few months using such a dowel. The smooth handle of an ordinary kitchen plunger is ideal for stretching the belts. Other tension-reducing methods I've heard of include machining the belt to a smaller thickness (requires machinist tools and skills) and reducing the width of the belt (requires a spacer to prevent belt fall-off).

If you can find the exact same specs for the belt you can pretty much get them from where ever you can find them!
http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/belt-replacement-guide/belt-specs.html

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
rein-o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, thanks for the info, i was reading all of the info on the site but just wanted to get my screw drivers and everything ready.

about 2 days ago i picked up a bunch of uncommon and rare discs as listed.
but see that i didn't get any super valuable ones.
tracking says it will be here tomorrow, hope it's not too bad.
rein-o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my player today, movie guy, it seems like you just have to check what is scraping, i have mine apart and it will scrap on the front loading bar if i push down on it.

i would just double check everything with a flashlight.

as for my player, it spins up fine, both belts are fine but what is it supposed to do next, i know it's supposed to play but does the disc drop after loading?

i push the caddy in, the disc is in and when i flick to play the turn table starts spinning but the disc is above, how or what is holding it from droping?
i'll mess around with it a little more but does the disc drop or the white inner frame from the disc drop?
rein-o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright,
i think i see the problem, i have a picture but stupid question how do i upload?

anyway it's the white piece under the turntable that i believe pushes up the turntable that is connected to the rod that is connected to the leaver for the load/play/stop function.

it is broken but i do not have the other half of the part.
i can rebuild it but would need a picture of the part or how it's suppose to look.
[/list]
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that model. neither disc nor spine (white ring around disc) drop down.

Turntable drops down when you push lever to load position, then raises to reach the disc when pushed to play position.

Turntable should then spin up and spin disc, and stylus arm should move out to play position, and display should change from double dashes, like -- . to a zero, and picture and sound should appear.

If this doesn't happen, describe specifically what does happen.
rein-o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi rix,
it won't raise, i think it's due to the white piece that i see is broken under the platter.

i think that there is a L shape piece that should be attached to the lever rod to push the platter up but it won't.
it starts spinning but nothing since the disc is just floating and the platter is below.

[/img]
rein-o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at it again i believe the white piece should push up the round black plastic ring with felt that is under the platter.
rein-o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg612/rein-ced/?action=view&current=P4097081.jpg[/img]
here is a picture of the broken piece.
i'm sure i can rebuild it out of plastic, metal and epoxy but what's it supposed to look like?
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best picture I have of it off hand! I can try and get a pic later but cant guarantee.
click it gets bigger

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
rein-o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k. so i see that my piece may still be broken but it may not matter.
but it won't raise the platter when i flick the switch to play.
any ideas?
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you bought it as a working player, get a refund and use that refund to buy a good working player from one of us here who will back up our stuff.

Or if you got that cheap as non-working, use it for your parts player, and buy another same or similar model that's working, or use it as a restoration project.

I'd suggest an SJT or SKT model if you decide to use that one as a project.

Maybe you can pick one up rather than ship, but where are you located?
rein-o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in tennessee, but i picked this up for 38 so i figure it's not that bad and i have the stylus.
BUT i have figured it out, that white piece is connected to the rod with a screw for tension.

it is broken and needs to be rebuilt, i'm going to start now, if i get her going then i saved one, if not i'll have parts.

i picked up a bunch of discs when looking for LDs and figured why not.
so if all goes well i'll have what i need, another collection of things Rolling Eyes
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! I hope you get to save one from the scrap heap! Stylus is worth 38 and more too! so you got a decent deal even if it needs repair!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked out of my shoes when I got my first SFT100! I wasn't expecting much, but the picture is second to none!
SKT-100
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rein-o wrote:
i live in tennessee, but i picked this up for 38 so i figure it's not that bad and i have the stylus.
BUT i have figured it out, that white piece is connected to the rod with a screw for tension.

it is broken and needs to be rebuilt, i'm going to start now, if i get her going then i saved one, if not i'll have parts.

i picked up a bunch of discs when looking for LDs and figured why not.
so if all goes well i'll have what i need, another collection of things Rolling Eyes

Hey Rein-o I am from Tennessee, I have 3 sons who still live there. One in Knoxville, one in Oak Ridge, and one in Seymour. I grew up in LaFollette. Do you have a lot of CEDs and players?
SKT-100
rein-o

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in nashville, moved from NYC about 4 years ago now.

i'm into LDs and after thinking and thinking about the system i found some discs and then thought about getting a player, found the one cheap on the bay and there you have it.

right now i have about 30 discs that i picked up really cheap at a record store that had them in the back.
nothing really rare.
the ones that i see might be good only bring in about 6-8 on the bay.

while the picture quality is not as good as LD, it's sort of reminds me of early LD discs i have but about 10-25% less in quality.

i've got the player working again after the broken piece that woundn't raise the platter but now have the issue with not playing past 1-2 minutes and won't fast forward.
so i ordered some belts today from John at CEDtatum and we'll see what happens.

the only discs i have that I think are cool are yor, come back to the 5+dime, the end, the earthling, culture club, baffled, nana, foreplay and some other music and movie stuff.

after i get the player running and watch some stuff i'm going to sell most of the discs i have since i'm not too interested personally but may also trade?
rein-o

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new issue.
so i ordered new belts, waiting for them to come in the mail.
but i was messing around a little more and discovered that the black gear that is connected to the pot was turned all the way in the wrong direction.
so i turned it counterclockwise so when the arm moves forward it will turn the pot/gear and not bind.

but the issue i have now is that the player will skip about 5-10 minutes when first started.
does this have to do with the position of that pot or is it something else?

interesting that you have to push the caddy back in which also pushes back the stylus arm.

also when you get to the end of the side an E appears, is that normal?
thanks,
rein-o

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it seems that if i load the disc, turn it off then go to play it will start fine.
but if i load the disc and go to play right away the motor starts going forward almost like the fast forward but you get to see the image.

i tried to adjust the screw on the back that changes the arm position but it didn't do much for my issue.
thanks for any help.
rein-o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am amazed?
who would have thought that a working unit would work as it should with new belts???

the belts that were on the player originally worked fine but after getting the new ones in the mail and put them on it's fine??

all issues of the start up on the disc is fine now Confused
well i'm happy to say i'm going to watch foreplay tonight on it and see how everything is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: