CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Projection TVs...Opinions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Front Projection TVs...Opinions Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm contemplating buying an old Pioneer front projection tv.

I was wondering what your opinions on them are? I've never owned one before.

But i think it would go well in the retro room....
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a pic of something more specific? i think i know wut ur talkin bout but im not sure..
Xian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/2923735390.html

here's a picture in this listing......
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures on these were always dark and blurry from what I saw. I never understood the extreme downward angle of the screen either- it's like you almost have to sit UNDER it to look at it properly! I'd have one as a collector's piece if I had unlimited space though...
Xian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Jesse.
Like I said, I've never actually seen one in action. If I get it, I'm thinking of building a base/platform for it to sit on, because of the downward angle of the screen.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xian wrote:
Thank You Jesse.
Like I said, I've never actually seen one in action. If I get it, I'm thinking of building a base/platform for it to sit on, because of the downward angle of the screen.

i thought this was what u might be talkin about! i always thought thse were cool ive only seen one in person! for 75 bucks id scoop it for the retroness!
Xian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:

i thought this was what u might be talkin about! i always thought thse were cool ive only seen one in person! for 75 bucks id scoop it for the retroness!

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinkin'. Smile
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing is if it breaks idk who could help u...
Xian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
the only thing is if it breaks idk who could help u...

The Garbageman! Laughing
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's a Pioneer. Probably the best made of any of those types of sets. Pioneer TV sets have never disappointed me.

You really have to have a "cave" for it, nice and dark. Sound like it's probably working okay. Guess you can test it out. I would grab it if it were nearby me for sure. Hook up the CED and LD players to it, set the convergence and have fun.

My rear projector Pioneer Elite 64" from 1999 is superb and still going strong, but it's the widescreen with 1080i input option.

A front projector is the same thing almost, CRTs bouncing off a mirror onto a screen. Just not enclosed in a box. Any good older TV repairman can work on them, maybe including that fine Pioneer repair center called Bayview Electronics in Olympia, WA.

If you get it and don't have a Pioneer LD player, you'll maybe want to get one, and grab some LDs to go along with your CEDs.

The reason for the downward slope was because the best viewing was between 10-15 ft right in front of the set, and it was supposed to be a sort of early 'home theater' where it was expected that some sort of lounge chairs or lazyboy recliners would be set up in front of it.

At $75, it's a must buy in my opinion.
Xian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for input all!
And Rick, it is for sure going into the 'cave'. As well as having a Pioneer LD player hooked up to it. : )
I'll keep the repair shop in Olympia in mind, if need be.
Thanks
Xian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I picked it up today, $50 and he helped me load it. Cleaned up quite nicely. The remote control is trashed, it had batteries in it that corroded. : (
But all in all a nice addition! A 50" Pioneer manufactured in 1982. Also has the user manual.

I haven't really adjusted any of the controls on it, just set them all to the middle(50%). Picture taken in a well lit room to. Can't wait to get it into the cave!

Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what year that set is? Maybe a Pioneer TV remote for a rear projector from that same time will work.

You can also get that remote repaired if it's only corrosion, maybe even so it yourself. Search 'remote control repair'

That picture looks pretty good for a well-lit room. Looks like some convergence needs setting and the brightness/contrast some adjusting.

I bet a 400 series CED player would look great, as well as a good VCR and a Pioneer LD player. I am envious now.
Xian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex, I wish I had your expertise in being able to fine tune the picture.
You know it's a projection TV so it'll never compare to your Sony CRT's picture.

The remote is beyond repair, the top of it is also in poor condition, part of the 'inlay' is missing as well as the commands have wore off and been written back on with a marker.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still might be repairable, or a close replacement found. Did you learn what year this model TV is?

Are you able to do most adjustments without the remote? The problem sometimes is that doing adjustments close to the set does not allow you a wide enough view of the screen to see that they are correct, especially with the convergence.

When I got my Pioneer rear projector, a used model with a mirror that had been replaced, I had to adjust the 3 CRTs to proper focus and color strength so the picture would be sharp. It had to be done with adjustment controls located in the bottom of the TV and accessed by taking off a front speaker panel. I had to lie on the floor to reach them, and could not see the screen.

To solve this, I got a mirror and leaned it on the wall opposite the set so I could see the image while adjusting it. It worked fine since it didn't matter that the image was reversed. You might have to do something like this. Or have a second person to watch while you adjust.

EDIT: Whoops, I see that it's a 1982 model. That's a tough replacement remote to locate. It will rewuire many searches through vintage remote lots on ebay and elsewhere. It took me 6 years to find the correct remote for a 1983 Quasar TV.

As I recall, it uses different frequency/wavelength than the remotes from around 1984-85 and later. I find many remotes from 85 and later will operate most years models of the same brand. I'd try to repair that one if I could. It won't hurt to try, you won't be any worse off.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwzsNeoMSgk
Xian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. After i read your post, I thought I'd give the remote one more try, after watching that video.
Success! The remote is now working. It's still in rough shape, that aluminum type inlay that lays over and around the buttons is partially gone and about half of the rest of it is sticking up in the air, unglued.

The good thing about the remote is it only controls the channel, volume, mute, and power. All the rest of the adjustments have switches and knobs on the TV itself. So, I've got a pretty good picture going now. However, I'm not the right guy to open it up and adjust the red, blue, green canons, I have no idea what that entails or how to do that.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to replace the inlay with some of the brush-on contact restorer like used on the video, or even with foil if done carefully.

Another thing to do for picture clarity is to clean the lenses all around and inside if you can get to them internally. Make sure the set is unplugged!

Watch Mr Bob (the ultimate projector TV guru) talk about cleaning a projector TV set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD0RgsfOcS0&feature=relmfu

You'll probably like his you tube videos.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xian wrote:
Well, I picked it up today, $50 and he helped me load it. Cleaned up quite nicely. The remote control is trashed, it had batteries in it that corroded. : (
But all in all a nice addition! A 50" Pioneer manufactured in 1982. Also has the user manual.

I haven't really adjusted any of the controls on it, just set them all to the middle(50%). Picture taken in a well lit room to. Can't wait to get it into the cave!

dude sick!!! sooo jelly right now!
Xian

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Hey Beetle...... Reply with quote

Anyone, in the Louisville, Etown area want this TV? Also have a few CEDs and about 40 laserdiscs and some players, 100 series, all for free if you want to pick them up at Fort Knox.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take you up on the disks at least but eastern Oregon is not three clicks of ruby shoes from your home.

PS I had a similar Pontiac 6000 like the one shown on your TV in 2012, same color!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Beetle...... Reply with quote

Xian wrote:
Anyone, in the Louisville, Etown area want this TV? Also have a few CEDs and about 40 laserdiscs and some players, 100 series, all for free if you want to pick them up at Fort Knox.

hey buddy how ya been!?

i wish i had room, id totally grab that projector! do you still have that sgt200 i sent you?
Xian

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been good. And yes sir, still have the player. How have you been?
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xian wrote:
I've been good. And yes sir, still have the player. How have you been?

im good! here is how i have been Smile

Dimensia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvoeftGo7Lg&list=PLgMEDDB2hzAPFrtIRT_2ZpnwFUD-SAYsI&index=11

side 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCg2EztfKkU&list=PLgMEDDB2hzAPFrtIRT_2ZpnwFUD-SAYsI&index=3

side 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txCAlQT-Izg&index=2&list=PLgMEDDB2hzAPFrtIRT_2ZpnwFUD-SAYsI
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to contact Beetlescott, aka Scott T. he lives in Louisville, KY and he collects CED and Laserdisc. I don't know his email off hand but if you email me I can let you know his phone number. videodiscjunkie@gmail.com
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just created an account after reading this thread. I sent an email to Xian. If you still have that TV, I'd be glad to buy it from you. I'm a couple of hours north of you in Odon, IN.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find curtpalme.com and get on his home theater forums...that place is serious stuff for video junkies Smile
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check it out.
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we wanted to discuss my TV further I thought I'd bring the discussion back here and keep the other thread on topic.

kitchensynch wrote:
Pray tell, is this related to a Sony model? I know Zenith made projectors, Sony made them, Kloss, Pioneer but rear projection 'bigscreen' sets were to become a lot more popular, especially since the screen didn't need to be curved, and the early Sonys only used two CRTs as well. These are not common birds anymore!

I took a couple of pics to let you see the inside. The projectors say "made by Hitachi in Japan" on them. There's a lot of knobs to adjust things in the back as well. I forgot to ask for a manual but maybe I can find one online.

The seller said it was owned by some millionaire in Cincinnati. It was located in Springfield, Ohio so it had traveled a little. The seller used it everyday apparently.

From surfing the web I think there were at least three years they made front projection TVs. I think RCA made a rear projection in '84. This TV's MSRP was $3199

I don't think the curved screen was what held these back but probably the fold out mirror and exposed projector. It's not as rugged as a rear projection and I'd assume in a house with children would be at risk for damage.

I find it interesting how little info is out there about electronics like what companies made what models in what years.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, yes, Hitachi makes perfect sense, they OEMed a lot of RCA products.

Ironically the front projection idea was probably safer from children than those pesky screens on the rear projection models (Fresnel, is it?) that kids could bump into or the family dog could paw and scratch.

The real drawback was the two CRT setup, and if you've ever heard of two-strip Technicolor then you know it was a compromise until the three layer process could be perfected. There is a reason NTSC color used three primaries. Using more primaries is complicated and less issomewhat primitive and lacking.

We had a Sony front projector with two CRTs in the local college cafeteria for several years. It was okay but I don't know. It was rather old though.

Done right and well maintained it works fine.

The main trouble we had was keeping it in a dark corner so it didn't get washed out as it was near a corner of large windows. late 1960s-early 70s building and those windows were covered up partly for energy savings years ago.
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the sun do some kind of damage to a projector?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: