CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to CED Players...issue with SFT-100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phillyfan17

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: New to CED Players...issue with SFT-100 Reply with quote

I have only recently heard/gotten into CED playes and hunted down a working player from Ebay...I've had my SFT-100 model for about a month or so now and everything was working great on it until I could not get the movie out of the machine one day....from what I read on the repair solutions page, it sounds exactly like the "Broken Pivot On Left Receiver Pad Assembly" issue. My problem is, after reading the instructions, it sounded easy enough but I don't know how to get the top off the machine to move the part down and I don't want to break it. Is this an easy thing to fix in general and I just don't know how to take the top off to look at it? or should I try and have it fixed by something else. I'm from the Philly area if anyone knew a place close by for repairs...any help would be appreciated cause i really want to get it up and running again. Thanks

Also on a random topic, does anyone knew where to get a service manual for this model?
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to ced! Hope this helps ya a little!

This is an sgt-250 but its basically the same way except your sft has less screws underneath.Click pictures to make them bigger!

^Take all the hex nut screws on bottom of player out!

^ Take the 3 screws on back of player out!

With those two steps you can now take player top off!

As for the service manual.. you can sometimes find them on ebay, I think there is a place cedatum knows that has reprints of all of them, and if all else fails I am pretty sure I have one that I can copy if you wanted to pay for paper and shipping. If not, one day I will scan all pages to make available to all for free in pdf format!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Phillyfan17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks...I did get it open but still have problems. Reply with quote

After following your pics, I was able to get the top off. I still cannot see the little latch that is what may or may not be causing the disc to not come out. I tried to insert some pics to show what i'm talking about but can't seem to figure out how to just add one from my desktop.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to post your pics here, you have to upload them to an image sharing site like photobucket.com or imageshack.us then get the link and post it in here! Pics will definitely help Very Happy

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Phillyfan17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Sounds like an idea Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I'll try and get the pics up either tonight or tomorrow, thanks for being very patient with me thus far. Smile
Phillyfan17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Pics up of problem Reply with quote

This is how the player looks once opened..
<a>Photobucket</a>

I can get the case only up to this point...
<a>Photobucket</a>

This also fell out of the player when I turned it on it's side for a second...
<a>Photobucket</a>[/img][/url]
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing that fell out of the player looks like a 'dust' strip that is usually glued in place on a CED caddy just inside the disc slot opening edge, one on top and one on the bottom, that helps to keep the dust from settling on the disc and seal the caddy.

One could have come loose and then got dropped into the player somehow.

Fury, an ideas on what's blocking the caddy at the point he shows? You know these players inside out.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looks like caddy's dust strip, good call rix I don't think I would have noticed that ever!

As for the caddy sticking it looks like the cam on the return arm assembly is stopping it,

But that does not seem like the problem cause that is what pushes stylus arm back until it gets to the far back and hits the pin releasing the cam so you can fully remove caddy. In picture below you can see circled and numbered 1 is the post that hits the pin releasing the cam which is circled and numbered 2.

I think there is something wrong with the function lever cams, because the only thing that locks a stylus arm like that is when the players function lever is in the off or play position. The stylus arm unlocks when lever is in load mode, all the way down! I am not sure exactly whats wrong, one of those cases where i'd do better with it in my hands.

Ignore the red circle

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425

Last edited by blindfury420 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phillyfan17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: I got it!!!! Reply with quote

After looking at your pics, I could see the pin you labeled 1 on your one pic and just had to click it manually once and it popped back out. It must have gotten stuck because now I can get the movie out and put a new one back in. I guess I just have to be very gentle when I put a movie in so I don't jam that pin again. Thanks for the help you guys!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still an important question is: What might cause that pin to get hung up?

Is there lubrication needed, or is something needing some smoothing at a rough spot where it might snag or stick? Is there any sort of misalignment or a weak spring problem? And so on and so forth,

Always good to check these things out before reassembly.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the site.
SKT-100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: