CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PAL player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: PAL player Reply with quote

So I sold a few spare/dupe players which allowed me to invest in a pal player! I have a converter for the video, but my main question is about the power.

Do I need a step up/down transformer like this?

http://japanvoltage.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC100W#

Or would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Voltage-Power-Converter-Adapter/dp/B001AHTEEU

Now the second part Mad

The friggin plug was cut for some odd reason and does not have the plug at end of cord!! Awesome!

Would it be ok to "splice" this end back on to it? Or do I have to rerun wire all the way up to player?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1ft-short-travel-power-cord-digital-camera-Europe-/250798380166?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item3a64bf9486

Is that even the plug type for pal players?

Anyone who has dealt with a pal player in the u.s. can you recommend anything I should do?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425

Last edited by blindfury420 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either convertor would change the voltage as you need it changed. I think I'd go with the one that has higher wattage personally. It looks like a more durable type.

As far as hertz or cycles, (US is 60 and UK is 50) I don't now about the PAL players, but the US players operate under either 50 or 60. My PAL/NTSC dual format LD player also does the same, and can accept either 110 or 220.

I'd say go with the plug type that works properly with the transformer outlet. The 220 output on the black one looks like a universal 220 output that accepts all the different plug types seen in Europe. The two rounded prongs plug is correct for the UK. I'd go with replacing it with a correct 220 style European plug so there's no accidental plugging it into any US 110 outlet.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help rix!

So I will go with the black 100W Step UP / DOWN Voltage Transformer!

So it is ok to get that plug from ebay and connect it to my cut cord on the pal player?

Again your help is much appreciated!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, as long as it has two secure places to attach the wires. However, maybe see if you find such a plug at a local hardware store. And what's that grounded euro plug that comes with the adapter? It has the right kind of plug-in connects for 220 volt.

Sometimes what I do if I need a replacement plug, and I really want a cord with plug that has no seam to it, is to buy an extension cord or power cord and use just the cord and plug end and connect it inside the device so there's no visible splicing.

I don't know how you managed to get the PAL player, but a lot of stuff here that goes to electronics recyclers gets the plug cut off. Once in a while I see things in a thrift store cheapo as-is bin with plug cut off.
PaulSOCW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for any PAL discs let me know as I have tons of duplicates.
Im in the UK however so shipping would be expensive but im willing to sell discs cheap before shipping.

As for PAL players im quite sure they are 240v / 50hz only.

You could get a 12v power supply capable of delivering say 10amps and connect a 12v to 240v /50hz inverter and power the player from that.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rechecked the specs on the PAL players, and they only show working on 50 hertz, so I think you might need a converter that changes the cycles per second too (hertz). These are typically called voltage converter/transformers and are more expensive, even close to $100.

Tom has this page that shows the hookup of a PAL player in the US:

http://www.cedmagic.com/misc/ntsc-pal/ntsc-pal.html

It looks like it's done going from 110 to 12 volts then on to 220 to get the hertz correct. I really am not sure about the ability of PAL players to run on 220 at 60 hertz. Some devices use that cycles per second as a clock of sorts to keep certain things timed properly.

It is also likely that the players themselves take the AC house current and convert it to low voltage DC current. In other words, perhaps the only difference between the US and UK Hitachi model players, other than output signal, is the initial internal voltage transformer that goes to a lower DC voltage. It would take a curcuit diagram of both to compare.

Since you may have spare parts players of the Hitachi type, I would also look into the possibility of using the initial electrical components from one of those mated to the PAL player to change it to a 110 operation. I'm sure Tom or likely John at CEDatum would know more about this. Maybe the cost of doing this would be the same as buying a converter/transformer.

Also, you can post the query on the LDDB.com forum under the topic Technical Questions, Repairs, Troubleshooting, as they are open to questions on all formats. There are a couple of electronics experts there that may be able to help too.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one other problem but luckily I was able to fix it with some ingenuity!

This is how the right sides caddy latch deal looks

This is how the left side looked! As you can see the tab that would hold the metal rod is broken off Sad

This was what I used for my idea since I saw a hole available right where tab used to be and it is not used by anything!

How it looks installed from top view

How it looks installed from underneath

Works perfect now and it's not delicate it will take and return disc's w/o a problem even with some force!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, i'm beginning to think you could fix a rainy day!! Good find, and great job! Very Happy
SKT-100
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulSOCW wrote:
Im in the UK however so shipping would be expensive but im willing to sell discs cheap before shipping.

As for PAL players im quite sure they are 240v / 50hz only.

You could get a 12v power supply capable of delivering say 10amps and connect a 12v to 240v /50hz inverter and power the player from that.

I just got 24 PAL LDs from the UK that cost 60 British pounds to ship, which is $95 US money. 24 LDs weighs almost the same as 16 CEDs. They were shipped by some type of Fedex method and got here pretty fast.

Nearly all the major carriers have gone to air delivery only so the prices shot up about 5 years ago. Used to be able to ship via slow oceanliner rate for a good price, but not with major shippers any longer.

However, in doing some research, I found there are some other smaller shipping companies that have stepped in to fill that void, like Parcel Force, and are less expensive. It's just that the person shipping to me didn't want to go through the effort of locating one.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulSOCW wrote:

Ah friggin sweet Paul Thanks and I will be contacting you soon about some disc's!!!

Beetlescott wrote:
Ryan, i'm beginning to think you could fix a rainy day!! Good find, and great job! Very Happy

Thanks Beetle! I wish I could fix rainy day's!!! Hahaha

I was also told by john all I needed was the step up transformer for this, so I am gettin super psyched here now! I already have the video converter!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey paul shoot me an email when you can!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
PaulSOCW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
hey paul shoot me an email when you can!

Hi sent you an emai the other day.
not sure if you got it.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul I have not gotten any email yet Sad Put your email in here and let me try!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
PaulSOCW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
Hey Paul I have not gotten any email yet Sad Put your email in here and let me try!

You should be able to email me using the email button below now.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video converter I have works for sure and the step up transformer works too. When I put a disc (two pal disc's roller ball and escape from new york) in the player lowers the disc and starts spinning the turntable, it moves the stylus to start playing and looks to be where its supposed to be. I can fast forward but only to about 20 mins on the timer and it then automatically returns the stylus arm and then tries to move disc up but only gets about half way up then stops. I have tried several different styli including the one that came with the player it just only makes static noise through speakers and no video. Both belts have been replaced also. Does anyone know what might be wrong or why it would just make static with no video and not want to return the disc tray all the way up? One more thing i just forgot and forgot to even try, but looking at it play I noticed it doesn't look like stylus is touching disc (jeez duh I know Confused ) should i try and lower stylus arm ( while playing to see it set down on disc?) with the screw at very end of stylus arm near front right of player, or would something like that even move while being shipped?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a Hitachi player, right?

I know those metal disc caddy load trays are pretty hefty. It could be there's just not enough belt tension on the gear lift to get it up, or maybe there's some sort of weak counterweight spring that's supposed to help lift it? Or the motor's running a little weak?

As far as the audio/video, you're probably right if the stylus isn't touching down. And if that's the case, it won't advance at all either. So it should just stay at the start of the disc for a while then just move back to home base again. That is unless you fast forward it manually, but it still won't read the disc if it's not setting down properly. Recall how sometimes on SFT/SGT models there's nothing displayed and you have to adjust the stylus set-down screw on the back?

You need a Hitachi repair or technical manual maybe to tell you how to adjust that stylus. Or trial and error, I suppose.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a hitachi vip201p and it has the lightest disc tray, hell lightest player I've ever touched!

The stylus thing was a last minute after thought as it didn't register when i was messing with player, just put player away, messaged on forums and walked to the bar to meet friends haha. It really only looks like one screw and i could lower stylus arm but at same time it doesn't look like its moved cause it has this blue green mark/dab of something on it. I don't have repair manual that's for sure hahah. I'll mess with it the morning!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the player is light, but that load tray is not all that light wen considering to the way it is lifted up. You have a couple of those player for parts I think, and you might want to check out if there's some sort of obstruction, or spring needing a tweak. Or gearing lube needed, or belt slipping, motor underpowered, etc.

The blue dab on the screw is used to keep it set in one position without it working it's way out of alignment. The adjustment probably wouldn't be noticable to the eye, because it's really a small adjustment.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to show you how different this vip201p is different from any other hitachi you have seen.

This is the disc tray I don't think it even weighs a pound and its really thin plastic

Here is two pics of how it raises the disc tray.

I honestly think the motor is pooped out cause it will lower then when it wants to go up it just craps out half way up.

The non play issue seems to be a solenoid in the stylus arm not letting it touch down on to disc. I looked at a sears a realistic and a hitachi and the stylus tip juts down fast to the disc. this one barely moves and the solenoid looks loose in the stylus arm Sad I think the motor was always on its way out and the shipping just devastated what was left of player.

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about this idea...

Is it possible to use parts from the US players to get the PAL player working somehow?

I know it would mean some circuitry work, but I wonder if you could somehow mate the parts you need to replace from a US parts player. I am not sure what voltages the motors and other stuff run on, but let's say that there's a transformer built in to the player that converts the AC line voltage of 220 to a smaller DC voltage of say, 6 volts, to run things internally. Maybe the US players do the same thing and some internal electrical parts are interchangable then.

I know the circuitry that takes the PAL signal from the stylus and converts it to A/V or RF out would not be the same, but perhaps motors are?
PaulSOCW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive found the tray not lifting fully and these hitachi players iis down to the motor being faulty.
Ive been able to use the motor from scrap players in the past to get them working but as for an off the shelf replacement motor im yet to find one.

Also one of the plastic clips which hold the bar with the gear and pulley on the end has snapped of which means the bar will also be probably lifting slightly when lowered and raising the tray.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Sears 934.54811350 and out of all the hitachi like clone players this is the only one (that I've seen personally, and I have most hitachi style players) that looks exactly like the vip210p. Does anyone have a spare stylus arm from a Sears 934.54811350 player for sale? I'll check later to see if they have the same disc lowering motor, Is the motor swap even likely, since one is pal and other is ntsc?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you've got to be concerned with on a motor swap is what current it uses. Are the motors AC or DC?

If they are AC, then you have to check if both run on the same AC current, 110v 60hz, meaning there would be some sort of transformer on the PAL player, since it plugs into 220v 50hz.

But more likely they are either different AC motors. or they run on the same DC current, like perhaps 12 volts or such. DC (direct current) will not have HZ listed (cycles per second) because it does not alternate current flow several times per second like AC (alternating current).

If this is the case, that would mean there is a built in AC to DC transformer in the players, that converts the house AC current to DC of smaller voltages. This is actually a very common thing with electronics. And if this is true, then you can swap many things on those players. But you have to confirm that this is the case.
PaulSOCW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disc tray lowering/lifting motor is 12v DC, some even have it labelled on it so i guess you would find the same motor in the ntsc versions.

If you need to obtain a 12v DC to 240v AC @ 50hz converter and cant find an ebay seller that will ship to the US etc. let me know and i could sort out getting one to you if costs are covered via paypal.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's important information. Since the motor is 12v DC, then it's likely that many other components are also 12v DC. In that case, you'd be able to use some of the 12v parts from the US versions of player on the PAL player.

That would actually make sense because it would be a great savings to the manufacturer to use as many of the same player components as possible, and the easiest way to do that is to have the US player with a transformer that converts 110v AC to 12v DC, and the PAL player with a transformer that converts 220v AC to 12v DC.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah !!! I got my pal player to work!!!!

I got a 2 parts players from cedatum, a hitachi 2000r and a sears 1350. Both allowed me to see how the players looked and I noticed again that the solenoid in the stylus looked jacked up.

So I took the white piece off on all 3 players and took a good look and I noticed the solenoid holding plate? had really got messed up on the vip201p.

If you see the circle (pic below) on the left the plate was above the little metal tabs which was not letting the solenoid lower the stylus down!

The circle on right was where a screw was loose. Re adjusted the plate and tightened screw to how it looks in the picture above! Switched bottom part and disc tray out to make it feel nice and new!

Tested it out and I am happy to say that it worked now and I don't know if I can say it but I am happier than a pig in shit! *edit* Yes... yes I can!

Here's a shady dark video cause that's how I roll haha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AMgWtid3Z8&feature=youtu.be

Now for the motor!

This is the vip201p's motor

This is the sears1350 motor

This is the vip2000r's motor

Will the second two work on the pal player? They seem the exact same except for the very bottom numbers Sad

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can now buy those PAL CEDs off of Corint, listed in the sticky for sale.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call. I need to talk to Paul too! Any idea on the motor? They are all 12v and seem to have same part number, but then have a different serial? on 3rd line of text?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
PaulSOCW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That motor will work assuming the replacement motor is a good one.

Ive just had my motor fail on my hitachi.

I may have found an off the shelf replacement on ebay however once ive checked the dims of the original motor.

If you are still after some PAL titles let me know if theres any you are specifically looking for as I have way too many dupes to list.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! let me know how the motor goes please! I will try it now and since they are modular its a just plug it in! I will email you with some titles i am looking for paul!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: