CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CRT sets found in local thrift store...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: CRT sets found in local thrift store... Reply with quote

Yesterday, I took a trip around our lake here, as there's a route that travels all around it with businesses along the way. There's a few thrift stores and second-hand places on that route, and I stopped in each to see what was there in vintage electronics.

Never have I found a CED player, but sometimes an LD player, eg, I did find a Pioneer CLD-D704 (one of their best) for $40, and I got my PAL/NTSC CLD-D515 for $8 at one, so it's worth it.

Anyway, this time I decided to see what they had in the way of CRT TV sets. I guess people are letting go of their heavy CRTs for the lightweight LCD. LED and Plasma sets. I was a little surprised to find these good and working sets (all were standard resolution):

Sony XBR 36" for $59 (best buy of all)
Hitachi 36" with stand for $59
Toshiba 32" for $49

And a good number of 27" to 30" sets for under $40 each.

And a CRT rear projector Mitsubishi 55" with 1080 input for $189

All these sets are great for watching CEDs. There's nothing like a CRT direct view set to give you the best full CED picture with the correct picture settings. I find my CEDs look best on either our RCA 36" CRT or our Sony XBR 34" set, both direct view.

The newer sets are good too, but you have to fiddle with the picture settings since they are typically set up for DVD and HD viewing, and they sometimes have only one A/V input.

The downside of the big CRT sets is their weight. I had a tough time moving both CRTs into the house, but once in, it was easy since they are on wheels.
Midwinter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good finds! I am still looking for an old woodgrain unit with fabric covered speakers to make my CED watching experience feel legit.

Trying my wife's patience one purchase at a time.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you're not here in So Calif. I have the perfect TV set for you. It's a wood console 25" set with doors, in upright styling, so it's a little taller than wide, and is from the early 80's. It has a great turn on function where it comes on and displays the channel information via a Star Wars intro styled scroll/zoom.

Perfect for CEDs, but sadly I have no room to set it in!
Midwinter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I just had a baby otherwise I would make a trip out there to pick it up!

I used to be in charge of Bakersfield and anything south a few years back for Coca-Cola Transportation. Sometimes I used to drive my route starting in Phoenix and driving all the way up through Bakersfield.

I was there all the time with my wife to visit my brother, beaches, Disneyland, and all the other fun stuff California has to offer too.

Trying my wife's patience one purchase at a time.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you plan a trip anytime coming up, I still may have it and you can come and get it.
Xian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how many people give these tvs away for free on craigslist! Very Happy
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the superb Sony XBR CRT trinitron sets for as little as $50 to $100 too. I think these are the best sets for CEDs ever.
analog.tv

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few whose hobbies overlap. It's not unheard of to watch these CED's on vintage televisions. Sometimes I'll fire up the old projection set to view one of these....glorious black and white on a 24-inch screen..... 1947 RCA of course. CRAIG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: