CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broca's area

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: New Member! Reply with quote

Hello everyone out there in ced-land, especially you, mnallard! This is my first post on this website as an official member. I hope to give everyone good info on everything and anything ced-related. I joined because I liked what I read on this site, and, I hope to be a good and wonderful member. I will be posting in from time to time, especially when I obtain any good info/advice for you all. Peace out!
mnallard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Great to have good company about these all-american players and movies! It's also a good place to meet others like yourself. We all share the same hobby in this place...however, I'm sure you'll find other things to talk about once you get to know others.

Again, Congrats and welcome aboard!!

KEEP THOSE CEDS PLAYING

END OF LINE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Good to hear from you Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, glad to hear CED Collectors are still out there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnallard:

Glad to see that you are proud of CED being an all-American player. A dubious distinction, but sets up a rather symbolic metaphor in a funny way: after a long and tedious period of planning and false starts the CED system erupted onto the scene with much fanfare and all cylinders firing - only to meet with a skeptical public and fierce competition from superior technologies. After limping along in a valiant (and perhaps a little vain) attempt to keep the original objective in sight, it sank, leaving a huge research and manufacturing expenditure and a decimated corporation in its wake.

At any rate, I would have preferred that you had capitalized American, but customs vary.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres always someone nipping at the ankle eh?

Razz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have preferred "superior" be left out, as VHS is not a superior technology.

It bothers me endlessly that people associate a more superior technology with being cheaper, easier to manufacture, and marketing moneies spent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who mentioned VHS? That was your conclusion.

The original post was, after all, a tongue-in-cheek metaphor for America, but since panties have been bunched by incorrect conclusions, allow me to point out that LaserDisc was a vastly superior technology, was by no means cheaper, was probably [almost] as difficult to manufacture (judging by all the cases of laser rot) as CED, and not particularly well marketed in America.

Regardless, it hung on about 15 years after CED died.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: