CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do the sticky's work for you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Do the sticky's work for you? Reply with quote

I was glad to see the two "sticky" subjects that have been added to the forum, but in watching the 1st one get messages, I realized there's a problem that might need addressing.

By having the two categories as "sticky" subjects within the "General" category on the Forum Index, it causes somewhat the same problem I mentioned before, that being the cluttering of the topic with tangiential issues and discussions. Plus any added posts get pushed down further and further, eventually cancelling out their visibility on the 1st page.

I'm thinking these two "sticky" subjects are good, but the forum might be better served if they were reformulated as Topic Headings just as is the "General" heading, right below that same General heading, and as distinct topic headings directly within the 'Discussion Forum Index'.

Then each of us could post our lists as separate and distinct threads from each other within that topic heading, and newly posted messages would cause that thread to become primary. And this would also allow easy editing and adjustment of lists, and the posted conversations would be applicable to that one member's particular listings as well.

Something kind of like what the LDDB forum has done in separating categories. Sorry to become the Devil's Advocate or a spoiler here and I don't mean any disrespect of the implementation of this nice addition, but is this something that can be looked at?

Does anyone see what I mean, or am I out of line here or asking for too much?
rsrendfeld

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Less WORK for Tom Reply with quote

Instead of asking Tom to do more for us WE could help ourselves.

Could we discourage members from cluttering the tread with irrelevant and extraneous comments.

And

We could edit our own posts; removing posts that were no longer relevant, adding or removing information as the situation changed.

Ron in Indy
7jlong

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed my share of the clutter.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Less WORK for Tom Reply with quote

rsrendfeld wrote:
Instead of asking Tom to do more for us WE could help ourselves.

Could we discourage members from cluttering the tread with irrelevant and extraneous comments.

And

We could edit our own posts; removing posts that were no longer relevant, adding or removing information as the situation changed.

Ron in Indy

Of course, that's true. But it still doesn't solve the problem of newer postings extending beyond the first page with old ones always being the lead, and I think the cluttering will still go on until somebody squawks about it again. It's natural for people to respond with their thoughts and remarks regardless of the topic heading and rules, and the tangential nature of discussion would continue regardless. It's merely one constant of message boards that always takes place, and it can be seen everywhere.

And then who's the one responsible to make the complaint about another's off-subject posting? Some wouldn't want to do it out of politeness or fear, and others who would may create edginess, with remarks of offense to follow. That's not always helpful.

I wasn't intending to make more work for Tom, and it would be great if it was possible to do it without his always top-notch effort. But it's not possible because of the way things are set up. He's the one we have to ask whenever there's something noticed that's awkward or might be handled better in another way. Would it be better to just be silent? The evolution of things like this always causes getting the moderator involved.

However, we can see how well self-policing does on the matter since this is a small group of contributors.

The only other way is if there were others allowed to control the features, and that gets into a whole other discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: