CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction--My Dad and the RCA Videdisc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiscDaughter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Introduction--My Dad and the RCA Videdisc Reply with quote

Hi, Everyone -

Just a little introduction. My father, Eugene Poliniak, was part of the R&D team at the David Sarnoff Research Lab in Princeton that worked on the RCA Videodisc project. I remember going to the lab with him when I was very little and sitting in a room with a couple dozen of his co-workers, watching an early demonstration of a videodisc player in action. I also recall watching movies as a kid on an enormous test player (years before the players/discs debuted in stores) that required the disc to be removed from the caddy. I learned at a very young age how to do that--and to NEVER touch the disc surface.

One of the photos on this site--of the oiling machine--brought back MANY memories. Much of my father's work involved the oiling system, and I remember going to work with him as a kid and watching discs being oiled on a highly similar (if not identical) machine.

It was also nice to see that Dad had posted an entry to the old guest book here way back in 2003. Sadly, my father passed away suddenly a few months ago. He was a brilliant chemist and watchmaker who could fix anything, and I dearly miss him.

Is there anyone else here who worked on the project, or is related to someone who did?

- Susan
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesnt surprise me he found cedmagic! this place is the root of all things CED, thanks to Tom!

~ Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: