CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Forum and CED... Looking for assistance!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: New to Forum and CED... Looking for assistance! Reply with quote

Hello All,
I'm a longtime AV enthusiast that has recently gotten into the CED world (more on that later) so I guess this first post in this thread will serve as my introduction.
A little about my AV interest first. As far as modern formats go, I have been collecting 12cm Optical Video Disc since 1998 and consequently have accumulated large DVD (1,856 disc) and Blu-ray (561 disc) collections. If you are interested, you can view them via my DVDProfiler here: http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/SaxCatz. As you can see, I collect a little of everything, but my passions lie in horror and sci-fi.
As far as equipment, I have what I guess you could describe as an "upper mid-range" home theater which consists of a Epson HC8500UB beaming onto a 120" matte white 1.1 gain screen which drops over a Samsung PN63A760 63" PDP. Everything is connected through an Onkyo TX-NR809 which power Sony SS-series speakers (my current weak spot in my theater) in 6.1 configuration (2 floors, front & rear center channels, and 2 bookshelfs) and feeds a Velodyne DLS-3750 sub. Components of note include an Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player, Pioneer CLD-D701 LD player and a JVC HR-3500U S-VHS deck. There's more, but that's enough for now. If you're still interested for some reason, here's a link to my build thread on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232135
As far as vintage formats go, I have been back into LaserDisc collecting for several years and have a small but cherished LD collection. Here's a link to my collection at LDDB, I'll be updating my CEDs shortly: http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?action=list&user=saxcatz&sort=title I used to have a rather fantastic VHS collection, but that has dwindled signficantly over the years to the point where I probably have less than 30 tapes now and probably only a half-dozen of any interest.
I have been intereted in the CED format for the past two to three years. Admittedly, I was a small child when RCA sounded CEDs death knell and wasn't even quite yet born when it was introduced so I really only discovered the format at all maybe five years ago. Despite my interest (I had probably read nearly every page of CEDMagic before I had ever even seen a CED in person), I only recently entered the world of CED ownership and by happy accident at that. A friend of mine who frequents estate sales located a stash of CEDs. She knew that I collect LDs and, assuming they were LDs, bought a few titles she thought that I might be interested in and brought them to me. When she learned that they weren't LDs, she was upset. I had to explain to her that I was actually far more excited with what they turned out to be. Not surprisingly, the bulk (or all?) of the titles did not sell, and I set my mind to tracking them down. She was also kind enough to go out of her way to her assist by contacting her "connections." Way too long story made short, I located the lot and purchased them in bulk. A total of 45 titles for much less than a buck-a-piece. I haven't scoured each titles rareness rating, but despite a few obviously common titles, there are definitely a few surprises in the lot. With that, I am very pleased.
This, however, leads me to my problem. Surprisingly, despite none of the discs selling, the player did. So, obviously, I am in the market for a player. My wife is not entirely opposed to my vintage hobby, but she is far more interested in watching the latest blockbusters on Blu-ray if you know what I mean. As such, my expenditures must be modest.
While RCA connectors and a stereo player would be nice, I am really far more concerned with having a solidly built, reliable player. As such, I understand that my best bet might be the good ol' SGT100.
The problem is that I am located in southern Arizona. Unfortunately, after years of combing swap meets, it appears that the concept of home theater didn't appear here until circa 1994 Rolling Eyes. The only pre-90s equipment and media out here, be it CED, LD, Beta or older VHS, appears to be from those who brought it with them when they moved from back East, just like me. As such, a local find is almost out of the question. The lot that we found locally was really a shock.
As far as EBay is concerned, most of the listed fall into three categories: obscenely overpriced (there are some players listed for $250 or more!), sketchy, or flat out broken ("DNW.") I wouldn't pass up a good deal on EBay, but thus far I've been leary.
I was hoping that the kindly and experienced CED-enthusiasts here might be able to give my some tips for picking out a solid player, let me know what I should be willing to pay and maybe point me in the right direction. Perhaps a few folks here even have an extra solid, working player that they would be willing to part with for a reasonable sum.
Any assistance is much appreciated!!!
Thank you all!

Last edited by SaxCatz on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated most of my recent CED haul on LDDb:
http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?action=list&user=saxcatz&sort=title
There are a few titles that weren't listed that I had to submit and will probably take some time to post before I can add them to my collection.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what I've seen on ebay is that some of the players are cheap, but they don't work and are stated "not tested as is", or will be shipped in a way that they arrive damaged for certain because the seller is too lazy to do things right for only a few dollars sale.

Alternately, the seller thinks they have a gold mine and are way too high.

I just relisted several players I put into good working order, and you can see them at the CEDmagic classifieds here:

http://www.epage.com/js/browse/c1064/?cat=1000&c=1064&b=1064&r=0

I think these are pretty fair prices, and I do not skimp on shipping.

I have heard from anecdotal remarks that the best players are SGT 250 and SJT/SKT 400. I do like the 400, but I like the 300 and 200 just as well, and the SGT 200. Also like the Wards (Toshiba clone) model for appearance and general operation, but it's mono.

I would say that you can go with any stereo RCA model and be you'll happy with it. Unless you are hooking up via RF cable, then stereo won't matter.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ! If you are looking for a cheap player I have a bout 3 sft-100's not sgt's for sale and for $50 or less (not stereo). I too have seen high prices on ebay. In fact I have an sgt-250 that I replaced every belt on, cleaned, adjusted turntables synchronizer plates, oiled and lubed what I can. I included cords, the remote and a new stylus in the machine and I wont lie the price is up there at $225. But I have done a ridiculous amount to it otherwise I would be selling the sgt-250 for only about $150. Refurbished sj/k 400's can go for $300 easily but a broken one or the like, can go for $50 and sometimes even less. It really is about what you can fix and timing! I do hope you find a player you are looking for! Your best bet is getting a player from rix!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the very helpful responses!
Which models are more reliable and easier to repair? The older lever loading SFTs & SGTs or the later "auto" loading SGTs & SJTs?
If I can get my wife onboard, I'll send a message your way Rix!
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an e-mail from me, Rixrex. Very Happy
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't find any email from you. Did you send it to:

rixrex @ netzero.net

If yes, please retry.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxCatz wrote:
Thanks for the very helpful responses!
Which models are more reliable and easier to repair? The older lever loading SFTs & SGTs or the later "auto" loading SGTs & SJTs?
If I can get my wife onboard, I'll send a message your way Rix!

It's not a big difference if you know what to do, but most seem to think the SJT/SKT models are a bit easier. Some like them because they are direct drive turntables.

Others just like the older models' style and the lever switch. The SGT 200 is the only stereo model like that. I find the later models a tiny bit easier. Or maybe I am just a little more used to them.

I really think you need to look at the style you like and what goes well with your setup. I have a nice old 1984 Quasar console and only the older models look good sitting on it.
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RixRex!
I do like lever-loading models as they just seem "special."
By direct-drive turntable, I assume that you mean that a motor drives the turntable directly while the older models are belt driven? It does seem like that would simplify repairs somewhat.
I sent you another e-mail. Please let me know whether or not you receive it. I hope its not getting filtered as spam.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
Welcome ! If you are looking for a cheap player I have a bout 3 sft-100's not sgt's for sale and for $50 or less (not stereo). I too have seen high prices on ebay. In fact I have an sgt-250 that I replaced every belt on, cleaned, adjusted turntables synchronizer plates, oiled and lubed what I can. I included cords, the remote and a new stylus in the machine and I wont lie the price is up there at $225. But I have done a ridiculous amount to it otherwise I would be selling the sgt-250 for only about $150. Refurbished sj/k 400's can go for $300 easily but a broken one or the like, can go for $50 and sometimes even less. It really is about what you can fix and timing! I do hope you find a player you are looking for! Your best bet is getting a player from rix!

I just want to say here, blindfury does an excellent job on working on these players, I got a very nice one from him, one that he refurbished, and it is perfect! I will buy another one from him in the future. I went to a workshop with him, and all I can say is he must of done his homework!
SKT-100
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxCatz wrote:
Thanks RixRex!
I do like lever-loading models as they just seem "special."
By direct-drive turntable, I assume that you mean that a motor drives the turntable directly while the older models are belt driven? It does seem like that would simplify repairs somewhat.
I sent you another e-mail. Please let me know whether or not you receive it. I hope its not getting filtered as spam.

I never thought I would like the lever controlled models, having bought my first player in 1982, and SGT250, so I didn't ownn a lever control model until I got back into this wonderful format last year. I bought an SGT200, and really liked it, but the first few I purchased, I repaired them and sold them. Now I am no longer working on them, because I have neck pain, and being bent over them was too painful. Now I am in search of an SGT200, and really good one for my collection. Let me give you some advice. When you pick the one that you intend on watching for yourself, Make sure you get a Stereo, and above all, make sure you get one of the few that have an infra red remote. That way, you don't have to get up and roll back the disc to work a temporary jump or skip. Also, even though I love the SGT250, I'm afraid the SJT400 is the very best for getting them out. It is the "Grandpa" of all players!!!
SKT-100
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Beetle. I think I've decided that its definitely worth the extra cash to make sure I get a stereo player. Hopefully I can score a player and start enjoying a few of these discs. I'm anxious to compare CED to some LaserDisc and VHS from the same era!
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that Rixrex is in the process of helping me out with this one but thanks for all the help and support! Smile
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxCatz wrote:
Just wanted to say that Rixrex is in the process of helping me out with this one but thanks for all the help and support! Smile

So you have made a choice? Please tell us which player you have decided on?
SKT-100
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He picked the SGT 200 so as to have stereo plus the lever switch. But don't worry guys, I have everyones' SGT 200 set away for when you want to get them. Fortunately that was the favorite model of my Dad so we had plenty.
montecarlo02

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rixrex,

I sent you an email inquiring about your players for sale.

Thanks
Matthew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
SaxCatz wrote:

Yep, just as Rix said, I picked the SGT 200 as I wanted a stereo model but found myself attached to the lever loading system. Smile
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxCatz wrote:
Beetlescott wrote:
SaxCatz wrote:

Yep, just as Rix said, I picked the SGT 200 as I wanted a stereo model but found myself attached to the lever loading system. Smile

Great Choice.
SKT-100
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to RixRex, my SGT 200 is now installed in my theater. I didn't have much time to fool with it tonight, but I did hook it up and preview a side of "Jazz in American" (appropriate as I'm a big Gerry Mulligan fan.)
On my 10 foot screen, I enjoy the natural look of CED. Color and detail are both a definite step up over VHS. The increase in detail along with the very organic look really makes me think of Super 8 film when projected.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. I never worry much about the players working, only about them arriving in good shape from shipping.

There's plenty of good B-grade horror films on CED that will make that effect that you like so much even better. I would suggest the 5 Friday the 13th films on CED, Halloween 2 & 3, Hospital Massacre, The Final Terror, Parasite, and especially Visiting Hours, and many more.

Also, not a bad idea to get an extra stylus for the future.
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
Good to hear. I never worry much about the players working, only about them arriving in good shape from shipping.

There's plenty of good B-grade horror films on CED that will make that effect that you like so much even better. I would suggest the 5 Friday the 13th films on CED, Halloween 2 & 3, Hospital Massacre, The Final Terror, Parasite, and especially Visiting Hours, and many more.

Also, not a bad idea to get an extra stylus for the future.

Yeah, I've been looking for Hospital Massacre, Visiting Hours & a few others for reasonable prices but they have been more than I'm willing to spend on EBay.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have to look other places too. Usually if it's one of those few I really want and hard to locate, and it's less than $10, I get it. If it gets on DVD, it's usually that much.

Visiting Hours was just released on DVD double feature with Bad Dreams. Sometimes this helps lower the price of other formats, but not always. Look at what happened with CEDS of Texas Chainsaw and Zombie recently.

I remember when just a couple of years ago Blood of the Vampire on VHS was ridiculously high, then the DVD finally came out and that was that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: