CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sgt 250 turntable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
71chevyvan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: sgt 250 turntable Reply with quote

this is a repost sorta.

i have an sgt250. interferance lines occur only while playing. i need a tute on the proper procedure to trouble shoot for a bad component/connection while playing a ced disc. so is there a service position to do this?
can a disc play with the machine on its side?
can the boards possibly be swung out for better access to components while playing?
and,what are the steps in removing the turntable?
barry
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlindFury should be able to help you with this. He knows a great deal about them.
SKT-100
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd like I will take pictures of me taking apart a 250. I will also take pics to show how to remove and put back in the turntable. It will have to be later on tonight though. Pictures accompanied with instructions is way easier to learn than just words/instructions to parts you don't know! I will get back either way, just not sure what you mean by interference lines. Also I wouldn't try to play a ced while its on it's side.

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: sgt 250 turntable Reply with quote

71chevyvan wrote:
this is a repost sorta.

i have an sgt250. interferance lines occur only while playing. i need a tute on the proper procedure to trouble shoot for a bad component/connection while playing a ced disc. so is there a service position to do this?
can a disc play with the machine on its side?
can the boards possibly be swung out for better access to components while playing?
and,what are the steps in removing the turntable?
barry

First, don't play any disc with machine on it's side.

You can play discs with boards swung out of the way, I have done that. Watch out for grounding out any circuitry! You'd better know what you're doing.

Now, can you describe exactly what you mean by "intereference lines" or post a video of it on YouTube? Or even a photo?

Do you get these lines only when using composite (RCA plug) video output? Or do you also get them from the RF output on Ch 3 and 4? Maybe they are from a worn out stylus or a bad drive belt?
71chevyvan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="blindfury420"]If you'd like I will take pictures of me taking apart a 250. I will also take pics to show how to remove and put back in the turntable. It will have to be later on tonight though. Pictures accompanied with instructions is way easier to learn than just words/instructions to parts you don't know! I will get back either way, just not sure what you mean by interference lines. Also I wouldn't try to play a ced while its on it's side.[/quote]

thanks for the offer. the lines of interferance in the pict is a diathermy. the stylus was sent to be professionly cleaned and was returned w/a clean bill of health so thats ruled out.
there is no bending or loss of color at all.
these lines are remeniscent of a poor ground on a video cable.
i have tried both "S" video and RCA connections w/o any differance on the screen.
i did notice that with the player unplugged i could wiggle the turntable. so i tapped the ced while playing but the diathermy never changed.
i guess thats a second problem that needs to be addressed
i'm pretty sure there's a ground problem on one of the boards.
being the problem only exists while playing i'll need to support the machine in the play position so i can swing the boards out in order to troubleshoot .
so i'll need a "how to" in order to do that.
bet rca had a test fixture made for this purpose.
barry
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your understanding of a diathermy? The term in science means electrically induced heat, such as what's used in muscle relaxation therapy, or in cauterization.

Can you describe the picture problem in other terms? What I see with a poorly grounded video cable is usually something that resembles radio wave interference that one would get with the old analog TV broadcasts, like from Ham or CB operators.

If you do discover the problem panel, and wish to replace it, I have a few SGT 250s just for parts.
71chevyvan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: diathermy Reply with quote

[quote="Rixrex"]What's your understanding of a diathermy? The term in science means electrically induced heat, such as what's used in muscle relaxation therapy, or in cauterization.

Can you describe the picture problem in other terms? What I see with a poorly grounded video cable is usually something that resembles radio wave interference that one would get with the old analog TV broadcasts, like from Ham or CB operators.
[/quote]

like you described above "radio wave interference" like in the pict w/old analog tv's and poorly grounded video cables.
this how we described the beat interference on the screen back in the 50's early 60's.
this is why i'm looking for a bad ground in a signal processing circuit etc.
my lack of understanding isn't circuit function but rather a mechanical
one.
i wasn't sure how to attack those screwed down boards to place them in a service position w/o causing any other problems.

so may i get a "how to" in placing the swing out boards into a service position please.
same w/turntable removal.
barry
7jlong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam's still has service manuals for many of the players, though their price for the SGT250 manual has risen to an unfortunate $30. I don't know about the 250, but the SJT300 manual has details for service modes with the board swung out of the bottom. Might be worth it to spend the $30 if it saves you from a fatal error.

Or - perhaps someone here has a PDF of it that they can send you. Sadly I do not.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is how you'd put them in service position, but in order to change the drive belts, I remove the screws holding the circuit panels, and then swing them up from the right side, pivoting on the left side where the wires connect.

The panel swings up and over 180 degress, and I set the right side, which has now moved upside down and to the left, on a wood block or such. This turns the whole panel upside down and out of the way of the player's mechanical parts for access to the turntable, etc, but still allows you to operate the player.
71chevyvan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rixrex"]Not sure if this is how you'd put them in service position, but in order to change the drive belts, I remove the screws holding the circuit panels, and then swing them up from the right side, pivoting on the left side where the wires connect.

The panel swings up and over 180 degress, and I set the right side, which has now moved upside down and to the left, on a wood block or such. This turns the whole panel upside down and out of the way of the player's mechanical parts for access to the turntable, etc, but still allows you to operate the player.[/quote]

I'll gice it a try.
thank you very much
barry
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this took so long but it was battlefield 3's launch week hahah!

Anyways I tried to make it as simple as I could and not have to write a ton accompanying each picture.

Don't forget to click it to make it a bigger picture! If anyone wants to add anything feel free!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
71chevyvan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="blindfury420"]Sorry this took so long but it was battlefield 3's launch week hahah!

Anyways I tried to make it as simple as I could and not have to write a ton accompanying each picture.

Don't forget to click it to make it a bigger picture! If anyone wants to add anything feel free!
[/img][/URL][/quote]

much thanks
with all those picts it couldn't get any easier. they spoke thousands of words.
is the hand included?:>)
with all the wiggle in the turntable. i suspect i have a bad bearing too.

but first the swinging down of the boards and mounting the machine so it can play while i try and locate the reason for the junk in the pict.
barry
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The turntable will usually wiggle a little if checked by hand. the most important thing is how it operates under power.

You'll be able to tell quickly if the turntable is out of whack by looking at it via aprofile while spinning up a disc. There are actually two bearings that hold the turntable stem in place. Sometimes it's not the bearings but the turntable itself that isn't exactly 90 degrees to the spindle shaft, so it will have that fluctuation while spinning. Even if off only a fraction of a degree, the end result is an up/down undulation by the time you get to the edge of the disc, as it's magnified there.
71chevyvan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rixrex"]The turntable will usually wiggle a little if checked by hand. the most important thing is how it operates under power.
[/quote]

how true that is.
barry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: