CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found Junkin' Model 101A counter-timer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Rendfeld

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Found Junkin' Model 101A counter-timer Reply with quote

Today, mixed in with alot of other electronic "Stuff", I found a gadget that has a embossed aluminum tag that reads "PROPERTY OF RCA SELECTAVISION VIDEODISC OPERATIONS" two other similar tags have the RCA logo a third tag reads "CALIBRATED 2/7/84"

The machine is about 4" high, 7"wide and 9" deep.
On the front: M logo, MONSANTO Model 101A, Counter-Timer.
Controls are two large knobs; one marked FREQ-TIME eight settings for KHz msec to X10 sec Hz:and the other knob marked Function; settings Manual off/on/ext gated, test, freq,period A, ratio and TIME INTVL: two small knobs; Display, Sensitivity.

What was it used for???????

Ron in Indy
mnallard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you received an item that was actually used at the RCA Plant that manufactured either the discs or the players (both were in different locations). Chances are it was probably supposed to be destroyed but someone probably took it as a sentimental "prize" to remember the RCA VideoDisc times. It would be great if you could send a picture of the item so I can see it. Tom might know more about it than I would. Hang on to it! The tag alone says enough!

Keep those CEDs playing!

END OF LINE
mnallard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occured to me. It's possible that THAT particular piece might have had something to do with the Master Processing room. In that room, copper masters were cut on a lathe with electronic equipment that displayed the FM signal both visually and electronically. The equipment that was shown in the RCA Production video (you can download this 23 minute video at CED Magic) showed this room and majority of the equipment in that room. It's possible, and sounds like, it was used to compress as much information on the discs as possible by allowing adjustments to how fast the disc spun and how much the cutter traveled in a given amount of time.

There was also some equipment as a quality control purpose that tested discs at random during a production run and would feedback information on how well that disc played. If it looks like it plays CEDs, then it could have been one of those. Not sure, only a picture could tell.

Keep those CEDs playing!

END OF LINE
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Monsanto Frequency Counter Reply with quote

This is a general purpose counter/timer that could have been used to calibrate any of the instruments in the VideoDisc factory that required precise frequency settings.

Your counter can be used for CED player servicing to calibrate the voltage controlled oscillators on the circuit board. Examples of this include setting the video and audio demodulator frequencies.

--Tom Howe
Ron Rendfeld

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Monsanto Model 101A Counter Timer Reply with quote

There is one listed on Ebay #7552345986.
If you wondered what I was asking about - This is it.

(I got one of these - Monsanto 101A Counter Time - several weeks ago along with alot of "Electronic Stuff". )

Ron in Indianapolis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: