CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning Your CEDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnallard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Cleaning Your CEDs Reply with quote

I've noticed that most owners of CEDs are trying to find ways to clean the discs. A lot of methods have been tried and to work to some degree. A method I tried actually involves a CED I won off ebay called STRIPES.

Please note, this is better accomplished for those with a F/G model player where the access panel can be popped off.

Exclamation Avoid touching the discs surface with bare hands Exclamation If you feel that you might accidentally touch the discs surface, wash your hands first using a mild dish detergent and use thin latex gloves. The natural oils in your hands can contaminate the disc beyond repair!

For those with a F/G model player:

1) Turn you player on.
2) Open the access panel which will expose the pick-up arm (where the
stylus cartridge resides).
3) Insert your "problem" disc.
4) Switch the player to PLAY.
5) Using the canned air, spray the air at the disc making sure that you aim away from the stylus. Towards the side of the player is best.
6) Using CEDMagic's recommendation, let the movie play without you watching it, all the way through to the end of the side.
7) While the "E" is flashing, spray the disc again.
Cool Place the system in LOAD and remove the disc.
9) Repeat steps for two-sided discs.
10) After you've done one side, I suggest removing the stylus and gently clean it if neccessary with a q-tip. This will remove any debris build-up it may have collected during play.
11) When you are finished cleaning the disc, watch it! This should remove a majority of the skips NOT associated with minor scratches.
12) If you notice some skips while it is playing, you can spray the disc while it is player (although not recommended) like I did to remove any more debris the player may have kicked up.
13) be sure to close the panel when finished.

This is what I did to fix a movie I got off ebay. The movie now plays perfectly and this method insures that the oil coating will remain on the disc. For those with automatic loading players (J/K line), you can either pop the top and clean the disc while it is playing or remove the disc from the caddy and while holding it, spray it. I also suggest taking a q-tip and with the disc removed, clean the cleaning fabric strips found at the open end of the disc caddy. They were meant to clean the disc during the loading and unloading procedures. However, doing this over and over so many times and they too will collect dirt. Keep the q-tip dry for this.

Hope this helps and sorry the post is lengthy. I hope that this helps you out in restoring some of your more stubborn discs. Good Luck!! Wink [/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: