CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Making of Star Wars/ESB & Return of the Jedi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedro12345

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Looking for Making of Star Wars/ESB & Return of the Jedi Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am a huge Star Wars fan and I recently stumbled across a player and the discs of both the orignal film and Empire Strikes Back at a garage sale. I'm totally addicted now!

Upon researching what other SW related items may be out there on video disc, I noticed that that the Making of Star Wars/SP FX: The Empire Strikes Back is available - this is a documentary I've been looking for on VHS for months.

If anyone has a copy of that one in working condition, I would love the chance to purchase it. I'd like to get the Return of the Jedi disc as well, but it appears that one is pretty rare since it was released later than most.

Please let me know if you have either of these available.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of CEDs!!!!!!!! You might have the best luck finding the making of disc by going to Ebay and typing in CED. You will find there are about 2400 of them popping up. I am looking for Return of the Jedi, which is one of the rare ones.
SKT-100
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know where you are, but the store in Sacramento called "Records" on Broadway had a copy of that when I was in there a couple weeks ago- they got in a number of CEDs.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Skeen wrote:
Don't know where you are, but the store in Sacramento called "Records" on Broadway had a copy of that when I was in there a couple weeks ago- they got in a number of CEDs.

Hello, I envy you if you can walk into a store and find CEDs tooday!!! We are going to be moving back home to Louisville in a few months, and they have a couple of old Record stores, i'm hoping they will have some. I found Jedi, I got bought it last night off Ebay, it's on it's way!!! I don't know if you have checked or not, but Amazon.com does have several discs.
SKT-100
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're definitely not as easy to find as they used to be, but I have every title out now so most of the checking I do is for any promo-only or unreleased stuff, or possibly better copies of ones I have that aren't in great condition.

This same store when it was in another location did have a ton of CEDs in the early 90s though, and I would always look at them and wish I could find a player. When I finally did find one, I had no discs to play on it so I got a few from this store, then after verifying the player worked I went back and bought them all- and the world has never been the same since then Smile
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT IS AMAZING! You have prolly already told me this, but do you watch movies on them daily? Last night my wife and I watched 3 movies on CED. She was quite impressed. She still doesn't get it. She says but if you can get the movie on blue ray, why would you want it on CED? I just smile and say, "Sweeting, you just wouldn't understand". She always smiles and says, you are right, but if it makes you happy...... How many titles are there? Ive heard around 1700? I would love to see pictures of your collection!!!!! You inspire me!!!!
SKT-100
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to take some pics- I've got one main closet in my apartment that is full of them, then the top shelf of another closet then the rest under my bed with my records. I don't watch them daily, but I sort of get on a 'kick' where I'll watch a bunch at once. I've kept myself from impuse-buying a lot of older movies on DVD or Blu-Ray by requiring myself to watch the CED first, then decide if I like the movie enough to spend money on a better copy.

I've sort of done the same thing now with HD-DVDs, ever since that lost the format war, I've been picking up all the under- $5 discs I can find, and I have almost all of the titles released in the US. That's kept me from buying too many Blu-Ray discs.

Doing a count I figured out the movie I have the most copies of is "2001: A Space Odyssey". Between me and my dad we have:

MGM VHS Hi-Fi
MGM/CBS CED with mono sound
MGM/UA CED with stereo sound
MGM/UA pan & scan laserdisc with CX noise reduction (the very first laserdisc didn't have CX)
Criterion laserdisc box set
MGM/UA letterboxed laserdisc
Warner "Stanley Kubrick Collection" DVD
Warner HD-DVD
Warner Blu-Ray

Runner-up is "The Sound of Music" with 4 different laserdisc editions, one CED and VHS, and 2 different DVD editions. I'm debating now whether to get the new Blu-Ray, I've heard that's the best this movie has ever looked, but do I really need one more copy?

Here's a video I took a couple years ago of my living room, at the end I show one of my shelves of CEDs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDLwZry0hg

This year I replaced the TV with a 55-inch Vizio LCD and upgraded the sound system too- the components are on a rack and better-organized than shown in this video, but my living room overall is still a mess pretty much Smile
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm impressed! your SGT250 looks great! so do all the other formats. I have several BluRay, tons of DVD, but I'm still managing to buy things on CED that I don't have on any other format. I have Barry Manilows first special. My wife and I did a lot of "romancing" while listening to a lot of Manilow music:) I have a perfect copy of that. I have a disc somewhere around here that I bought accidently, on the HDDVD format, it is Pride and Prejudice. If I can find it, it's yours! I'm coming to Clevland this coming weekend for a VW Beetle get together! 2001 a Space Odyssey is one movie that I have NEVER seen all the way through! I think I will find it on this format. I am a Trekkie, and love SciFi, but I just never watched this movie. I'd love it if you took some new pics of your collection. I got a bunch in today that makes me about 75 movies, but I have more than that ordered:) I finally found Return of the Jedi. I haven't gotten it yet. I also received SILVER Bullett. (sp) and I found one I used to own, called Dolly Partin in London. I had that many years ago, so I'm glad I found that. I don't care for much country music, but I have always loved Dolly because I grew up in TN appalachia, like her:) I have Bose speakers and an Onkyo receiver and a Kenwood subwoofer, the sub is cracking a bit, but I have had it for 15 years or more, so it has earned the right to crack:) Really it is time to replace it. Mine is so big, the newer ones are so small!!!
SKT-100
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to tell you about one other thing I have in HD DVD, is Star Trek season one. The other side of the disc is just DVD so when I got that, I obviously I used just the DVD side. I never got into Laser discs for some reason. One another note,

To the Author of this thread. I might be intersted in selling my Return of the Jedi, if you are interested.
SKT-100
Pedro12345

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys...I will put a call into Records today and see if they still have the disc. I'd love it if people would continue to keep their eyes open for it.

It seems like the Making Of disc is harder to find than ROTJ because it's not a real movie and people might not have been interested in it at the time.

Beetle...what would you be looking to get for the ROTJ?? The site won't let me send PMs

Last edited by Pedro12345 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro12345 wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys...I will put a call into Records today and see if they still have the disc. I'd love it if people would continue to keep their eyes open for it.

It seems like the Making Of disc is harder to find than ROTJ because it's not a real movie and people might not have been interested in it at the time.

Beetle...PM sent regarding the ROTJ disc.

You could be right, that is prolly what makes it rare. I did read in the FAQ on this site that any of the movies with 1986 copyright, are considered rare. I will keep my eyes opened. Good luck!!!
SKT-100
Pedro12345

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang...called Records in Sac-town, someone beat me to it!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a player and 50 movies from this guy, 25 of them came today, they look great, almost new. Some of these titles I have never heard before. I'm getting the other 25 tomorrow, i'll see you get it if it's in the last pile. I'll let you know tomorrow.
SKT-100
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You better hurry and bid on this little gem!! DeaJeep found it and recommended it to me. Good Luck!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scarce-1982-Making-Star-Wars-CED-Videodisc-/260691623896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb26e7fd8
SKT-100
Pedro12345

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently the high bidder - NO ONE ELSE BID!!
deantjeep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your bid on ebay. I hope you get it!!!!!!!

If you didn't bid on it, I was thinking I would bid on it and snag it for you. We take care of each other on this forum.

Good luck!

Very Happy
deantjeep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Looks like you were the winner!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! I'm glad you got it! CONGRATULATIONS!
SKT-100
Pedro12345

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came in today and I can't wait to watch it.

Not sure how easy players are to come by, but I'd like to upgrade my player if possible. It's a pretty dumpy woodgrain Zenith and it doesn't work too well. I'd love to get a middle of the road type machine just for casual use if anyone has one for sale fairly cheap.

I've seen a couple people reference CEDpro, but Google doesn't turn up a site.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro12345 wrote:
It came in today and I can't wait to watch it.

Not sure how easy players are to come by, but I'd like to upgrade my player if possible. It's a pretty dumpy woodgrain Zenith and it doesn't work too well. I'd love to get a middle of the road type machine just for casual use if anyone has one for sale fairly cheap.

I've seen a couple people reference CEDpro, but Google doesn't turn up a site.

Hey, CEDpro is a very good person to deal with. He has a line of completely redone machines. What you want it one with a remote. If you have a skip and you need to rewind, just push the button on the remote! I bought an SGT250 from him and it turned out perfect! he is a great person to work with too. Tom, the administrator, in the FAQ, recommends this player for collectors!!! Thanks and good luck!!!
SKT-100
Midwinter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse,

I just watched your youtube video you posted last November. You said in the video you weren't sure why you couldn't play one of the old DIVX pay to play movies. From what I have gathered is that the players needed to be hooked up to the telephone/internet service to even play a DIVX disc for the first time. Another rumor is that if the players were hooked up when Circuit City finally axed the service it sent a signal to these players eliminating their use of playing movies that the customer even paid lifetime use for.

The DIVX Discs might go down as one of the rarest formats ever in the sense that the movies will not play any more and most users literally threw the movies away thinking they were trash when the format died.

Jesse Skeen wrote:

Here's a video I took a couple years ago of my living room, at the end I show one of my shelves of CEDs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDLwZry0hg

This year I replaced the TV with a 55-inch Vizio LCD and upgraded the sound system too- the components are on a rack and better-organized than shown in this video, but my living room overall is still a mess pretty much Smile

Trying my wife's patience one purchase at a time.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just got another one of those players for $6 just to see if it would read my DIVX discs, still wouldn't do it. (Neat thing about those RCA players however is that they can play audio CDs BACKWARDS- but they won't read CD-Rs.) I have the DIVX in-store demo disc which required a DIVX player to play but didn't charge per viewing- I just get an error message when trying to play that too. I don't think the players in the stores that played that disc were ever hooked to a phone line either.

I bought a bunch of the Flexplay expiring DVDs a couple years ago when Staples was clearing them out for a buck each- I immediately copied them onto non-expiring discs Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: