CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I found the PERFECT way to display CEDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: I found the PERFECT way to display CEDs Reply with quote

I have been on a "trek" to find someting that is stout enough to hold our wonderful movies in. I had been keeping them in small cardboard boxes and after just a while, they start to lean over. I looked for "milk crates" but they were all too small. Today we were at Target and Carolyn, my spousal unit, called me, (I was in electronics, as usual), and told me she thought she found someting to put my movies in. WE DID! They are awesome. The brand is ITSO, and ITSO perfect!!!! I bought 4 of them to make sure the fit was correct. They are plastic and 14 3/4 x 14 3/4 x 14 3/4/ The caddy stickes out just a tiny fraction, just enough to get a fingergrip on them!. Each crate holds 50 movies and they had a 4 different colors, Blue, Black, White & Pink. I got 10 black ones. The cool thing is , you can purchase I put 45 movies each in mine, just in case I find another disc I just can't live without:). I will try and take a pic of them tomorrow is anyone is interested. You can buy a "base" that you can attatche liffle legs to or caster wheels, but I don't think they (feelt or rollers) would hold up. The crates are great though, they come with clips that can fasten the crates together!!! Good luck!
Very Happy
SKT-100
deantjeep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great find! How much are those ITSO crates? I have 3 of those RCA made CED cabinets, but always looking at other solutions the discs outside of my cabinets.
Alchemy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://picasaweb.google.com/alchemy541/Stereo#5557661642104107330

How mine are, I need to do another built in around the corner for lp's and ld's and more ced's and 8 tracks and reels.... glad I have the room for it Smile
deantjeep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemy, nice setup! I notice you also have an 8-track recorder. I recently got into 8-tracks and have some recorder decks. My main one is currently a Panasonic.
Alchemy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wollensak 8075 is mine http://www.8trackheaven.com/ cheap 8tracks can be found there.

The R2R is an Akai 747....
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did the CED cabinets look like? I didn't know those existed. If CED had caught on, most people would probably have found them a pain to store!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an 8 Track tape, The Carpenters The Singles, several years ago, it was brand new, still in the cellophane. I carried that thing around all thses years until last year, when we moved, I threw in the trash. How I wish I had kept it!!! I had no idea there was any such thing as an 8 track tape recorder.
SKT-100
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hundreds of 8-track tapes, been collecting since '92. I even have a bunch of quadraphonic tapes and working player which I can now listen to through my home theater system!
deantjeep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse, send me an email at deantjeep@netscape.net, and I will send you a picture of my CED cabinets. I purchased 3 of these from my local RCA CED dealer back in 1981 or 82. These were designed for the CEDs, each holds about 95 CEDs. The cabinets are very durable, light weight and stackable. I wish I had purchased more of them. There is a cutout at the base of the back of the cabinet, which allows you to setup your player and AV/AC cables. I had my Realistic CED1 in one cabinet and the other two cabinets held my discs. They were designed deep enough to support players and discs.

Anyone else wanting a picture of my cabinets, please send me an email.

Dean
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Great crates... Reply with quote

Those are great crates, and I will be seeing if I can find some too.

One suggestion, how about placing that CED player somewhere more distinctive? Not down at the bottom where the dust can get inside.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could put mine higher than I do, but the cabinet I set my 52" Plasma TV on has a place for the components under it. I did put it on the top shelf, because it has more "breathing room" Smile
SKT-100
Tim_S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When 8-track was popular, I decided to check it out with a home player, as well as a recorder. 8-track recorders were odd things -- you had to keep track of the time to know when the splice came around 'cause every time it hit the splice you'd hear a ker-klunk! and it would mess up your recording for a second.

Incidentally, there's a recorder for every format, but many of these formats, particularly discs, did not have recorders available to the public. CEDs, of course, were mastered at RCA headquarters, most likely in Indianapolis, and most likely RCA did not have many CED "recorders" or "cutters".

Laserdiscs, however, had a few more recorders (or burners) in operation. There was one at a company in Atlanta called Crawford Communications. I once toured the facilities and saw the laserdisc recorder in action. Incidentally, I have about a dozen Laserdisc blanks, which came from Crawford Communications. They are, basically, giant 12" CD-Rs, but they are "LD-Rs". One or two of them have a recording on them... just industrial stuff from a company of not much interest to most. Several of the LD-R blanks are still shrink-wrapped, and I believe they were made by 3M (when I find them again I'll take a closer look).
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a recorded LD I found at a thrift store- it has a sales pitch for some sort of time-share deal on it. It's in CAV with analog sound only.
matt carr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.target.com/ITSO-itso-Storage-Cube/dp/B00275BVRM/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton
deantjeep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITSO also makes a wood composite/laminate version of the plastic crates. It is part of a modular storage solution. They are well made and easy to assemble. I purchased 2 of them for $27.99 each, plus an additional $14.99 for a set of 4 metal feet. The cabinets are stackable. They only come in an expresso color.

CEDs fit perfectly in the cabinet, almost as if they were made for CEDs. They are sturdy and provides a decorative way of storing and displaying your collection. ITSO also makes a version of this cabinet with a door, but they cost more and I don't believe the door will close with CEDs inside.

You can find these cabinets at Target.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this it the ones I got! I didn't see the wooden ones that Deanjeep got at my Target, but I wasn't looking for them, so they may of had them and I didn't see. They have these plastic ones in Blue, Black & PinkI love them, they are so much better than cardboard boxes!!! You can get a "base" that popl into the bottom, (or the side if you want to display them like we do). The base comes with plastic feet, but I saw some plastic coasters that fit the base as well.
SKT-100
deantjeep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target has the plastic storage crates on sale today for $7.99, that is a $2 savings!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH NO!!! I just went to Target Friday and bought 2 so I could pick up my 100 movies that came with my SJT400. These movies are in great shape. The guy who sold me the movies & player, duckie909 in here, was a very nice guy to boot!
SKT-100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: